Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 02:58 PM

417 posts, read 345,277 times

Advertisements

I have an automatic cat door for my outdoor cat so she can go in and out as she pleases. She was originally a barn cat. She has a need to go outside, and is very depressed if she is not allowed to be out.
Lately there has been this orange tom cat that keeps coming into our house, through the cat door. My cat does not like that very much and she puffs up and hisses and will attack us if we don't stay behind her because in her mind she's protecting us from the big "mean" kitty. It terrorizes the other neighborhood cats and many other people on our community facebook page have complained about the cat coming into their houses or pawing at their screen doors but it's a very nice cat. This is the third time today however the cat has chased after my chickens and gone into my house and harassed my cat I'm getting tired of it. Not only that, but it shows up at all hours of the day and night and would have to pass a busy highway and come a half a mile up my driveway to get to my house.
I don't want to see it get run over and hurt. I also want my chickens and cat to not be bothered by it. I just don't want to have to resort to taking down my cat door and making my cat miserable. I've also talked to the owners and they think it's cute that their cat does it. I and a bunch of neighbors are sick of this cat and I am at my witts end trying to figure out what to do with it. I am thinking of sending it to the humane society. Although I really don't want to do that. I just don't know what to do. What do you guys think? Would you just let it happen? Would you do something about it? What would you do to prevent it from happening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 03:09 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Talk to the owners one more time and say if they don't do something about their cat, you will call the Humane Society. And then follow through.

Cat

Old 10-11-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Talk to the owners one more time and say if they don't do something about their cat, you will call the Humane Society. And then follow through.

Cat
Thank you very much Cat! I apperciate it.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:27 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
How about talking to the neighbor's and suggesting either confining the cat or calling a cat rescue? These people need to know how many are fed up with their cat's antics. A rescue will get him neutered, shots and do their best to either foster or find him a home. Sorry, but I don't think the owners are acting very responsible to let a male tom cat roam free. You say the cat is nice, that's half of it. These people might be fine with rehoming their cat. Not sure if the Humane Society is a no kill in your area.

Last edited by Taz22; 10-11-2016 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 10-11-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
How about talking to the neighbor's and suggesting either confining the cat or calling a cat rescue? These people need to know how many are fed up with their cat's antics. A rescue will get him neutered, shots and do their best to either foster or find him a home. Sorry, but I don't think the owners are acting very responsible to let a male tom cat roam free. You say the cat is nice, that's half of it. These people might be fine with rehoming their cat. Not sure if the Humane Society is a no kill in your area.
It is a semi no kill at least that's how they explained it to me. I am nervous he is picking on other cats and think it's werid that he just shows up he looks very well fed. I will retalk with them. Thank you.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:26 PM

351 posts, read 285,237 times
The reality is that if you call the humane society on the cat he will be euthanized, not given food, shelter, sterilization and vaccines, and there are not loads of no kill shelters with all kinds of room and friendly homes, unfortunately.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:20 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
OP What ever happened?

Old 12-18-2016, 10:51 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
You refuse to keep your own cat inside. Do you really think that cat's owner will agree to keep him inside? Because keeping him inside is the only thing that will stop him from annoying the neighbors.

You let your own cat wander free without the slightest clue about whether or not your cat is annoying anyone. Do you care?

Cats that are allowed to wander loose unsupervised in the wide world often meet a bad end. If that cat is annoying you, invading your house, causing fights, trap him and take him to the humane society. First inquire to see if there is any sort of Friends of Cats sort of place locally. In my area, there are two different charities that take in stray cats, spay and neuter, and find good homes for them. They don't put cats to sleep.

If there is a charity like that in your area, that takes in cats and does low cost spay/ neuter for the public, I suggest that you support them financially. It is good work, but expensive and they always need donations.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:54 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecat View Post
The reality is that if you call the humane society on the cat he will be euthanized, not given food, shelter, sterilization and vaccines, and there are not loads of no kill shelters with all kinds of room and friendly homes, unfortunately.
I think you are confused about the difference between animal control (gov't run & funded agency) and a humane society (private organization, generally a 501c3, funded by private donations not tax revenue.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:10 AM

469 posts, read 398,350 times
Shut the cat door so the neighbor cat can't get in. If your cat wants in/out, open your door and let him in/out. Squirt neighbor cat with water when he bothers your chickens. He'll learn to avoid your property. Problem solved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets