U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2016, 02:27 PM

6 posts, read 4,788 times

Advertisements

I live in upstTe New York but my neighborhood is relatively residential there's no huge pockets of woods or forest tons of development however last night as I lay in bed with my family downstairs I heard a terrifying scream / yelling noise which scared the crap out of me then I heard my dog yelp in pain and starting crying and barking ( he's a long hair miniature daschund ) I ran outside as fast as I could my family member reached him first and whatever it was had already squeezed through our chain link fence into the woods she described it as small rat looking with a long tail and it was hissing at my dog , my dog had no blood , scratches or bite mArks but he did suffer a broken hind leg .. what could this of been ?

My first guesse was a fisher cat bvHse we have them locally and they make the children screaming noise and my guesse was it tried to take my dog and he fought back and it dropped him and broke his leg .

Also if this was say a fisher or a bobcat , should I be worried that it now knows prey is here and will come back ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 03:05 PM

3,927 posts, read 2,556,333 times
Could be either. Glad your dog is OK.

Yes it will probably come back since it knows that your dog is there. Even if this particular animal doesn't come back another one may. If you want your dog to live, please keep it inside.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:43 PM

16,259 posts, read 10,262,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Could be either. Glad your dog is OK.

Yes it will probably come back since it knows that your dog is there. Even if this particular animal doesn't come back another one may. If you want your dog to live, please keep it inside.
exactly

Old 10-15-2016, 09:32 AM

22,513 posts, read 28,416,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstater92 View Post
....... as small rat looking with a long tail and it was hissing at my dog ,.........
That description is a possum but possums don't attack dogs. Maybe your dog jumped it and it found back?

Injuries sound like a raccoon, but surely everyone knows what a raccoon looks like? If anyone saw it, they would be able to identify it as a raccoon?

Old 10-15-2016, 08:04 PM

285 posts, read 132,292 times
I'm glad your dog is ok! That is scary.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:17 PM

12,568 posts, read 4,748,202 times
The broken leg is probably a defense injury. He or she jumped wrong.

You might consider an electronic dog/cat door. You need one where you pet can flee in withour being followed. Neighborhood dog got attacked by another dog who followed her in the dog door. Damaged dog and blood and damage in a good part of the house as the attack came inside.

We do not let the dog out without available supervision. The cat does what he wants. The dog and cat are both around 20 lbs. But the cat would likely fend off a Coyote while the dog would end up lunch.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:35 PM

6,981 posts, read 4,435,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The broken leg is probably a defense injury. He or she jumped wrong.

You might consider an electronic dog/cat door. You need one where you pet can flee in withour being followed. Neighborhood dog got attacked by another dog who followed her in the dog door. Damaged dog and blood and damage in a good part of the house as the attack came inside.

We do not let the dog out without available supervision. The cat does what he wants. The dog and cat are both around 20 lbs. But the cat would likely fend off a Coyote while the dog would end up lunch.
Did someone say lunch?

(funny video, its ok to watch, nothing bad happens)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV559TPlFpU

Old 10-20-2016, 06:17 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,707,191 times
a large rat type creatue making screaming sounds in the middle of a relitivly suburban area...
likely a possum...
doxies are tenacious little badger dogs who don't know when to back off
possum will avoid confilict if possible, hissing sometimes screaming and fake out biting a the animal, generally if the situation doesn't resolve the possum will either bite until the animal backs off so it can run...or itll play dead.
in this case it sounds like you interrupted the interaction before any serious upsets happened and gave the possum a chance to bolt.
(this would explain the lack of injuries, had this been a bobcat or yote (both possible) your dog would have serious wounds (scratch and puncture) raccoons would scratch typically rolling under the animal attacing it and gouging at the belly and under the neck, so again had it been a raccoon your dog would have belly wounds...
had it been a fischer youd be looking at puncture wounds around the head, ears and neck...
doxies are tenacious, but fischers are like Tasmanian devils, and most would rivial a dochsund for sie.

a rat woud be dead...

the broken leg was probably the result of the dogs reaction rather than a direct tussle...watch him for weakness in the back end over the next few days inase he got a milde back injury (common in doxies)

Small dogs particularly should NOT be outdoors at night...
even in the middle of a big city there are recorded coyote attacks and even a standard doxie isn't likely to come ou fo a tussle with yotes in 1 piece.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:26 AM

14,143 posts, read 11,575,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
a large rat type creatue making screaming sounds in the middle of a relitivly suburban area...
likely a possum...
doxies are tenacious little badger dogs who don't know when to back off
possum will avoid confilict if possible, hissing sometimes screaming and fake out biting a the animal, generally if the situation doesn't resolve the possum will either bite until the animal backs off so it can run...or itll play dead.
in this case it sounds like you interrupted the interaction before any serious upsets happened and gave the possum a chance to bolt.
(this would explain the lack of injuries, had this been a bobcat or yote (both possible) your dog would have serious wounds (scratch and puncture) raccoons would scratch typically rolling under the animal attacing it and gouging at the belly and under the neck, so again had it been a raccoon your dog would have belly wounds...
had it been a fischer youd be looking at puncture wounds around the head, ears and neck...
doxies are tenacious, but fischers are like Tasmanian devils, and most would rivial a dochsund for sie.

a rat woud be dead...

the broken leg was probably the result of the dogs reaction rather than a direct tussle...watch him for weakness in the back end over the next few days inase he got a milde back injury (common in doxies)

Small dogs particularly should NOT be outdoors at night...
even in the middle of a big city there are recorded coyote attacks and even a standard doxie isn't likely to come ou fo a tussle with yotes in 1 piece.

Yep. I agree. Sounds possum to me. Nasty lil' buggers when riled, teeth all the way to their tails. They look like a rat too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or