Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 05:27 PM

525 posts, read 660,541 times

Advertisements

I treat my dog and cat with Revolution. I also previously treated (before we moved in) my house and backyard for fleas, as previous tenants (renters) had multiple animals and I found fleas during renovations. Our house is mostly hardwood with a few throw rugs. I believe, based on the timing of the flea treatment to our areas, and because my animals are continuously treated, that I have broken our area's flea cycle. I have never seen fleas on my animals, and I do check regularly. Flea treatment was about 13 months ago.

I know that my one of neighbor's dog comes into my backyard. Her dog can climb the fence like a cat. We've (both my husband and myself) have seen the dog do this on separate occasions. The dog is sweet, and friendly, and my animals are inside 95% of the time. I have no issue with this dog. The neighbor I do have issue with. She is an alcoholic, and emotionally unstable, and I've learned to keep my distance. She has 4 dogs; this is the only one who does this trick.

This morning I was on my back deck and the neighbor's dog climbed the fence. I laughed and when the dog finished marking around my yard and came over, I gave it a pet. And that's when I saw it was infested with fleas. It was pitiful with its back end covered and raw looking and no hair on it's legs where it had been chewing itself. I went to get my husband, and we decided to treat it with my dog's Revolution. It's the same approximate size as my dog (~ 20-30 lbs). I would've given it a bath, but I didn't want to bring it into my house.

I HATE broadcast pesticides. I don't want to harm any beneficials. I have treated my yard 2x this year with nematodes. I'd prefer to NOT treat the yard again for fleas if I don't have to. But I know this neighbor's entire pack must be infested, and probably the yard RIGHT next door, and though I have treated the one dog, I can only hope to have an opportunity again when it's time for another treatment on it.

Soooo... Block the fence? I don't mind the dog. As I said, it's sweet and I feel bad for it. I wish I could just take the dog, but I don't want to deal with this neighbor. Aside from the major flea infestation on it, it looks healthy; well fed. Do I have to treat my yard for fleas again with my pest control company? They only use pet friendly products in my house and yard usually, but the flea treatment is toxic. But I've done it before to get the cycle under control. Should I just get more nematodes? Last treatment with those was about a month ago.

Argh I'm itchy just thinking about that poor dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 10:28 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
I think as long as you have a neighbor whose dogs have fleas you will have a flea problem unless you use treatment. Even if you block the fence the fleas can get through.

Personally, I would call animal control or the humane society and report her. It sounds like she's not taking appropriate care of her dogs to the extent it's animal cruelty.

Old 10-31-2016, 04:58 PM

The blocking the fence thing would be to keep the dog out. Not the fleas. I'm still mulling over whether to call someone about a quartet of dogs that are well fed and housed, but just haven't had flea treatment. Our city has such a huge problem with truly abused, neglected, and abandoned animals that this would be like calling the police because the neighbor stole a newspaper in my mind. *I* see it as neglectful, but it's really small potatoes.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:49 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaireSolstice View Post
This morning I was on my back deck and the neighbor's dog climbed the fence. I laughed and when the dog finished marking around my yard and came over, I gave it a pet. And that's when I saw it was infested with fleas. It was pitiful with its back end covered and raw looking and no hair on it's legs where it had been chewing itself. I went to get my husband, and we decided to treat it with my dog's Revolution. It's the same approximate size as my dog (~ 20-30 lbs). I would've given it a bath, but I didn't want to bring it into my house.
The bold is what made me think the dog was not receiving proper medical attention and was a reason to call the humane society or animal control.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:14 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
If the fleas are next door, they will probably find a way over to your house, even without hitching a ride on her dog. If the dogs are well fed, but she is lax about doing flea treatments, maybe it would be easiest just to ask her to buy the treatments and dose her dogs, or you might want to volunteer? Calling the city may get her dogs confiscated, which seems extreme and could cause them to be euthanized. Granted, she is not a good pet parent, but if they have food and housing, there are many dogs in worse situations.

I hate fleas and have a pest control company spray the house and yard several times a year and use Frontline on my dogs at the same time. I don't like using toxic chemicals on them, but having fleas is worse. In the long run, helping her out with flea treatments might be the easiest and best option. After having the dog in your yard, you'll probably have to redo the flea treatments, as fleas jump all over. Dealing with a drunk or druggie has to be done just right, you have my sympathy!

Old 11-05-2016, 11:28 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Forget about your drunken, crazy neighbor and calling "the authorities".

When the dog comes into your yard, grab him and give him a flea treatment.

Do it a couple times and you will have solved the problem.

And made the dog's life a lot a better.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Forget about your drunken, crazy neighbor and calling "the authorities".

When the dog comes into your yard, grab him and give him a flea treatment.

Do it a couple times and you will have solved the problem.

And made the dog's life a lot a better.
Lol! Great advise and to the point. The only thing I'm concerned about is the other dogs over there, because the fleas will surely end up in the OP's yard. That's why I thought treating all the dogs at once would solve it.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:26 PM

I've already treated the one that comes over. I used revolution. Just hoping I can continue on time to make it work. There is a part of me that is really irritated because now I have an uneven number of treatments for my dog and cat.

Anyone use nematodes? Or should I just have my pest company do the hard-core flea treatment?

Old 11-08-2016, 11:25 AM

I've never used nematodes, but a pest control company does this for a living and the problem goes away quickly, unlike a DIY, which sometimes has mixed results. At least, that's been true in my case.

Back in the day, we used to wash the dogs, bedding, set off flea bombs and then take the dogs and leave for a few hours. It's sooo much easier to just hire a pro!

Old 11-10-2016, 01:52 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
If the fleas are next door, they will probably find a way over to your house, even without hitching a ride on her dog. If the dogs are well fed, but she is lax about doing flea treatments, maybe it would be easiest just to ask her to buy the treatments and dose her dogs, or you might want to volunteer? Calling the city may get her dogs confiscated, which seems extreme and could cause them to be euthanized. Granted, she is not a good pet parent, but if they have food and housing, there are many dogs in worse situations.

I hate fleas and have a pest control company spray the house and yard several times a year and use Frontline on my dogs at the same time. I don't like using toxic chemicals on them, but having fleas is worse. In the long run, helping her out with flea treatments might be the easiest and best option. After having the dog in your yard, you'll probably have to redo the flea treatments, as fleas jump all over. Dealing with a drunk or druggie has to be done just right, you have my sympathy!
but your using toxic chemilcals on yourself and family by having pest control spray your house, its the worst thing yu can do for your health. If it kills pests it harms you too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets