U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 11:28 AM

5,626 posts, read 5,005,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
The OP said "walked a couple times a day" but just for short distances.
I know, i was saying though that if its a big job, it can be skipped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 11:40 AM

16,826 posts, read 17,116,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
My parents are desolate after having to put their 15 year old Pug down a week ago due to cancer that had spread everywhere.

They are in their 80's, my mom is 82 and my dad is 86. As of now, they have periodic issues, but are in relatively good health with ancestors who have lived into their 90's and 100.

My sister and I are talking about another dog for them.
Before you and your sister decide to get another dog for your parents, but very, very sure that they really want another dog.

Depending on the dog, that is a 10 to 13 year (or longer) commitment. While they may be extremely sad right now, it is only a week after their dog died. They may feel differently in a few weeks or a month or two.

I'm in my middle 60s, with plenty of friends & relatives that are older. I can't tell you how often someone will say "I love my (name of animal) but when they pass away we are not getting another pet."

Old 12-12-2016, 12:02 PM

3,639 posts, read 1,820,890 times
My husband and I will not get a dog or cat after the ones we have pass. I would hate to have orphan pets as we would have no one to look after then when we die.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:03 PM

6,432 posts, read 3,029,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
A greyhound is a large couch potato that would likely knock your parents down. I'm 72. I've had 2 greyhounds. I wouldn't dream of having one now. Too big and when they decide to run, they're gone like the wind. If on a leash, they will take their person with them.

This thread is near and dear to my heart because my dog is 14 and likely won't be around much longer. I can't imagine life without a dog, and I've pondered greatly about what I'll get when she's gone. Not too young; a puppy underfoot would not be good for a senior.

Like the OP said, small enough to be picked up.

Why not visit a no-kill shelter and let a dog pick them? Tell the shelter people what the basic requirements are and see what they have.
Agree, think a greyhound is much too large.

I'm like you cant imagine life without a dog.

I also agree about the puppy underfoot. Not to mention how exhausting it is to train a new pup.

The shelters here all have their dogs online. Unfortunately, they are full of pit bulls/mixes and Chihuahuas and not much else. I'll keep checking, but doesn't seem very promising.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:08 PM

1,440 posts, read 3,701,674 times
Two things.

I'll agree that an older dog from a shelter would be a fine choice. Other than being a nice thing to do, an older dog already has an understanding of things instead of a pup who needs to be taught to go outside and such.

Second, make sure you find a low maintenance dog. Short haired specifically. I've two ancient (15 and 16) pound finds that need grooming every month or so. Hair cuts and bathing I do myself, always have. I'm in my fifties. Those aren't things I feel I could easily accomplish in my eighties though.

Maybe one other thing..... don't think about a specific breed. You'll be shutting out a lot of delightful, and deserving, mixed breeds that would possibly make the perfect choice.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:11 PM

5,057 posts, read 5,314,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
Two things.

I'll agree that an older dog from a shelter would be a fine choice. Other than being a nice thing to do, an older dog already has an understanding of things instead of a pup who needs to be taught to go outside and such.

Second, make sure you find a low maintenance dog. Short haired specifically. I've two ancient (15 and 16) pound finds that need grooming every month or so. Hair cuts and bathing I do myself, always have. I'm in my fifties. Those aren't things I feel I could easily accomplish in my eighties though.

Maybe one other thing..... don't think about a specific breed. You'll be shutting out a lot of delightful, and deserving, mixed breeds that would possibly make the perfect choice.
I agree with all of this.

My local shelter has a Seniors for Seniors adoption month where they waive the adoption fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
My sister and I are talking about another dog for them.

Recommendations?
Also, make sure your parents want another dog. Don't surprise them with it as a gift. They may or may not want that responsibility again and it may be too soon after losing their dog. Some people need a grieving period before adopting again.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Most toy breeds meet your requirements PROVIDED you go with an older dog. Older dogs and senior citizens make a great pairing! Why not check out the local shelters and rescue groups and see if they have any small dogs over the age of five available?
Thanks. I was just trying to get some breed specific input.

The town shelters have virtually no small dogs around here.

I just started checking some of the breed rescues and private shelters.

One thing I noticed and already knew from my own search for a dog a few years ago is that the town shelters are a very basic application, donation and they give you the dog. The private and breed rescue shelters are like adopting a child/home visits etc. Not sure they will give people my parents age a dog. Does anyone know about that?

Old 12-12-2016, 12:21 PM

1,021 posts, read 724,577 times
Yorkies, Pom poms and Poodles are a good choice. Even tempered, don't need much, loves to cuddle and don't need long walks. You can find these breeds in shelters.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I would search some shelters and rescues for a senior dog. They are a group that doesn't often get adopted but are so much easier than a puppy. I have a 16yr old laying next to me right now, we just took a 30 minute walk and she'll snore for most of the day and take another walk this afternoon. We've only had her for 2 years and she's the easiest dog I've ever had, no real health issues and grateful to be spoiled rotten.
I really admire people who adopt senior dogs, not sure I could do it knowing they don't have much time left.

My parents may feel differently, so I will certainly bring it up to them.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:30 PM

19,802 posts, read 55,621,783 times
Adopting a senior from a breed rescue is usually easier but there are generic rescues out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or