U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 06:36 AM

10,237 posts, read 4,804,704 times

Advertisements

I adopted an 8 year old Chihuahua from the shelter in 2013. She was the best Chihuahua I ever had and I had six of them through the years. I know people assume Chihuahuas are yappy and nippy but my girl was neither and she was great with my 5 year old granddaughter also. She was the epitome of a perfect dog.

There are other small breeds but many need grooming: Yorkies, Shih Tzu's', Llaso Apso's, etc. Are they going to be okay with spending money every month or so for grooming and driving the dog to the groomers?

Have them take the test someone posted on page one to help them choose but I definitely think they should get an older dog. Our local county shelter doesn't even charge seniors adopting senior pets in my area. Just make sure that they want another dog. They may not at this point in their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 10:42 AM

22,547 posts, read 28,491,298 times
You can't do better than another Pug.

An excellent choice would be a Cavalier Spaniel, but if you get Cavalier, get it from a responsible hobby fancier who only breeds heart certified breeding stock and expect to pay a lot of money. A well bred Cavalier is an expensive animal and a cheap Cavalier has a high chance of dying young after expensive vet bills because of a heart issue that is genetic in that breed.

A huge plus for the cavalier is that everywhere you go, people will ooh and ahh and fuss over the dog, which means that your parents would have to actively socialize.

A Japanese Chin would work. The coat has to be combed but it is a silky coat and not thick with no undercoat, so combing is easy, but combing must be done.

A Shih Tzu would be ideal. They are very calm and not active, but the grooming is extensive with that long coat and must be done often, like perhaps every day.

Actually, a retired track greyhound would work. They are very calm, and they might lean, but they don't jump up on people (unless you train them to do it), and they can be petted without leaning down all the way to the floor. There's a lot to be said about that when you get older and your knees are sore.

In the sight hound family, a whippet would work, virtually no grooming, calm natured, and they are warm bodied and make a great hot water bottle. They are more trainable than most sight hounds, although even they are easier to train if you ask politely instead of issuing orders. They are taller, but light weight so easy to pick up and carry.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 12-13-2016 at 10:50 AM..

Old 12-13-2016, 10:49 AM

22,547 posts, read 28,491,298 times
Adding this: some of the really big breeds, if you get an adult, are excellent for the elderly. They can act as a service animal, helping with balance, protective unobtrusively, perhaps help with standing up after sitting, and fetching up dropped items. An adult dog that is trained to help learns very quickly not to bump.

You have to buy a special phone, but the dog can be trained to dial 911. Well, the tiny dogs can be trained to dial 911, too, if the phone is someplace that they can reach.

The big dogs do cost a lot more to feed.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:39 PM

6,432 posts, read 3,053,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It depends entirely on the particular rescue. Some of them are so picky it seems that no one can ever get a dog from them. Others are more reasonable. I think you'll just have to contact each of them and take your chances.

Another option to explore might be contacting any serious show breeders of smaller dogs who might be in your general geographic area and asking if they have any animals they will be retiring from their breeding program that are in need of placement into a pet home. Sometimes that can be a nice way of obtaining an older dog.
Yes, thanks, my husband and I actually gave up on the rescue orgs a few years ago and went to breeders when we were looking for a pet.

The rescue orgs were so picky and so slow to get back.

But, thanks for reminding about the breeders retiring animals, because I did notice that when we were looking.

Truthfully, a lot of the rescues, really ticked me off, because for really silly reasons,, it was hard to get their dogs. Several dogs forfeited really cushy lives with us due to silly rescue groups.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
There are several organizations (you might do a search in your area) that place senior dogs with senior citizens. Some of the owners passed and the pet was given up for adoption, or for other reasons. Here is one organization that places senior pets with senior citizens.
https://www.petfinder.com/pro/for-sh...nior-citizens/
Thanks for the link.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Recommendation--->TALK to your parents first. I think it is important to check with your parents that they want another dog.

As much as we were so sad that we had to put our 15 year dog down, and after 4 years or so we still miss her, we have agreed that we love the freedom of not having a dog. We come and go as we please, we don't have to get up early to let the dog out, we don't have to shovel a path when it has snowed, no Vet bills, etc.

My sons sometimes mistakenly take my love of dogs and missing our former dog for wanting another one. My son said something the other day about getting us a dog---NOOOOOO!!!!
Once again, no one will be surprising them with a god. I am only doing advance research in the event they want another dig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or