U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 10:37 AM

36,474 posts, read 43,566,158 times

Advertisements

https://www.facebook.com/PlanetPaws....c_ref=NEWSFEED
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 08:34 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,707,191 times
that vid is so frustrating, that vet is trying so hard t have those idiots laugh at him, and ignore him...either none of them are pet owners or none of them care about their pets...*sigh*

I ONLY do rabies, every 3 yrs as required by law...if it wasn't law we woulnt even do that one, I titer for eveyrhting else...have been for years...

ive seen more than enough vaccine reactions to avoid over vaccination...
I'm certinaly not anti-vax...but I'm absoluly anti-over-vax.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:52 AM

5,048 posts, read 6,898,532 times
I get any shots separately. With the rabies, I get the lighter annual rather than the one with more stuff that lasts for three years. We have a rabies shot law too.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:46 PM

3,785 posts, read 9,192,045 times
This video makes me so mad.

However, I'm more angry at the vets I encounter who push these vaccines at the annual check up. I've had vets push annual vaccines that their own professional organization says is not warranted and may be harmful. Good luck trying to find a vet who will accept your wishes. ..at least in my area.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:03 PM

36,474 posts, read 43,566,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post

However, I'm more angry at the vets I encounter who push these vaccines at the annual check up. I've had vets push annual vaccines that their own professional organization says is not warranted and may be harmful. Good luck trying to find a vet who will accept your wishes. ..at least in my area.
If it is the law in your area the vets are only doing what is required they do-remind you vaccines are necessary. My vet told me by law she has to tell me what is required and it is my decision to get them or not. But again boarding and grooming facilities and some other vets will not take you. Also good luck trying to adopt a rescue or shelter pet without proof your other animals are current on vaccinations. We need to work to change the laws so that titers can be accepted.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
If it is the law in your area the vets are only doing what is required they do-remind you vaccines are necessary. My vet told me by law she has to tell me what is required and it is my decision to get them or not. But again boarding and grooming facilities and some other vets will not take you. Also good luck trying to adopt a rescue or shelter pet without proof your other animals are current on vaccinations. We need to work to change the laws so that titers can be accepted.
No, they are definitely not required by laws in my area. They are revenue generators. The vets can't even give me a reason, backed by sound science, for the vaccines they recommend.

Some Veterinarians Sell Unnecessary Shots, Tests to Make Extra Money, Says Former Vet - ABC News

I'm only required to get rabies every 5 years, but titers are allowed and there are other exceptions. I don't board my animals and haven't had any issues with groomers.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:59 AM

10,205 posts, read 4,782,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post

I'm not going to watch the video if it's going to upset me. Many vets are trained that the way to get the owners to bring their animals in yearly is to use the vaccination excuse. I also don't vaccinate adult animals except for the rabies shot. However when my two Chihuahuas were so very sick last year I didn't even give them that. They were both trained on pee pee pads on the lanai. Fortunately I have a vet that doesn't push vaccinations on me.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:23 AM

14,565 posts, read 8,390,759 times
As a dog owner who has seen puppies die horrible deaths from parvo, I am not going to risk my dogs' health by neglecting vaccinations just because some blog tells me there are side effects from "over vaccinating." I've been doing boosters once a year, and there have never been any signs of any issues from a booster. There are risks from them dying horrible deaths from not vaccinating, and I'm not taking a chance. Every scientific study I have read indicates that annual boosters are necessary. But everyone should do what they feel is right for the health of their pets.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
As a dog owner who has seen puppies die horrible deaths from parvo, I am not going to risk my dogs' health by neglecting vaccinations just because some blog tells me there are side effects from "over vaccinating." I've been doing boosters once a year, and there have never been any signs of any issues from a booster. There are risks from them dying horrible deaths from not vaccinating, and I'm not taking a chance. Every scientific study I have read indicates that annual boosters are necessary. But everyone should do what they feel is right for the health of their pets.
I respect your choice.

However, I'd point out that these guidelines, at most every 3 years, are based on AVMA and AAHA guidelines and not just a blog. Actually, according to link I'll share, most vets believe dogs may have lifetime protection. The current guidelines are based on vaccine manufacturers guidelines. Canine Vaccines: The Best Current Thinking - Veterinary Practice News - January 2013

Old 03-13-2017, 09:39 AM

1,021 posts, read 732,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I also have seen the devastating effects of parvo on dogs. Where I come from, we had only 1 vet in town. He didn't carry any parvo vaccines. So when the outbreak occurred, almost every dog was infected and it spreads quickly. Even keeping them at home didn't help as the virus can spread from people's clothing.

That's how most of my dogs died. Slow, terrible deaths. About 10 of them were 2 month old puppies. It also didn't help most of them were rottie mixes as rotties are more susceptible to parvo. Fortunately, the mom and the runt survived.

Would I recommend people to get annual boosters? No, other than what's required by law. I can understand your fear and you have that right to be concerned because of that horrible experience. I also know it's easy to be "frozen in time" based on that fear, thus less willing to accept change and risk. In my opinion, if the dog or kitten received all their baby shots, they are good for life, unless a new study out there that can proof otherwise. An annual exam and necessary bloodwork due to aging or special breed issues do more good than vaccinating for something over and over again with little to no benefits each time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or