Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2017, 11:29 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times

Advertisements

What do people do if an emergency comes up either heath wise or other and they have to be gone from home for an unknown period of time. They live alone so have no one to take over for them and take care of pets.

I've thought of getting a pet over the years, my grandkids were kinda pushing me, but I didn't....can't afford the upkeep and getting old enough myself.

A lady I met in one of the rehabs I was in had to get back to her apt as she had 3 cats whom her sister fed them, but she dreaded getting home to what the cats may have done to apt in her absence.

Stuff can happen and I never thought I'd be gone for 4.5 months on a medical issue. When my daughter goes out of town with her children and it's only for a week or so, she has to hire someone to come and feed, walk the dog, keep the dog company etc...this has cost her $500 with each vacation.

If I was younger and in good walking form I would help her, but I'm not.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-18-2017 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: You know no commenting on mod action
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 01:57 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
I get a pet sitter as it is cheaper with multiple pets. For a single pet, boarding is cheaper. Sometimes a deal can be made for extended periods.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:01 PM

4,242 posts, read 946,547 times
My closest friend is also a dog lover, and we frequently take each others' animals (no payment involved) for fairly long stretches (3-4 weeks). Our dogs know each well, get along, and our houses are also well known to them, so it's sort of like going to to stay with your aunt and cousins We also have agreed that if something happens to one of us, their dogs will always have a forever home with us. I should also say that while we're both in our early sixties, we're in fairly decent shape so caring for them isn't a problem so far.

Now, if we both perish in a plane crash at the same time .... we haven't figured that one out yet!

Old 06-19-2017, 11:48 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Well, I guess people work things out, but in my case IF I had pet(s) and it turned out I was gone for 4.5 months, just a big layer of stress would have been added to my already stressed condition. This would be true too if a person has children that need care, and a health condition hits them. And they live alone..

Old 06-21-2017, 01:35 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,547,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well, I guess people work things out, but in my case IF I had pet(s) and it turned out I was gone for 4.5 months, just a big layer of stress would have been added to my already stressed condition. This would be true too if a person has children that need care, and a health condition hits them. And they live alone..
Cats are a LOT easier. I have taken care of my neighbors and really all I had to do was feed and freshen water, but I chose to spend time there. Some cats might not care, but she seemed to enjoy the company. So I'd hang out. Watch TV or read a book and get her wand toy to play with or pet her. But I could have just done food and water and walked out. Litter box if my friend was going to be gone longer.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:06 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,601,367 times
Yeah, this situation can be a problem. I've known idiot children to rehome a senior's pets during a long-term stay because they couldn't be bothered to care for the pet or find a pet sitter.

I'm usually the one who takes in the pets or feeds them, so this is a problem I have to solve, too, because I have a cat, and she doesn't have a dedicated place to go, yet, if anything happens to me.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:13 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
People who live alone need to think this out and have a contingency plan for their pets, the same way people with children make a plan for who will take care of their children if something happens to them. Clearly, many people do NOT do this (for either children or animals), but they should. Honestly, my opinion is that a single person who lives alone who has absolutely no one to turn to for animal care in an emergency, and no way to pay for boarding or a pet sitter, shouldn't get a pet. An accident or emergency can happen to anyone at any time and it is irresponsible, if not downright cruel, to leave pets stranded.

I'm not single, but just in case, I have in-laws nearby who would feed my cats, and a friend who would take the rabbit. In a pinch, she would also feed the cats (and has done so while we were on vacation).

Old 06-27-2017, 01:00 AM

23,206 posts, read 29,014,764 times
I have a ferret, and I've always taken him along everywhere, but this last trip was the first time in over 5 years I left him home alone for 4 days, first time ever. Ferrets are not like dogs, thank God, and can survive quite well on their own for 4 days or more, providing you leave enough food and water.

The only reason I didn't take him along on this trip from Las Vegas to Colorado, was we were in the midst of an extreme heat wave, and ferrets are heat sensitive, and can die very quickly in extreme heat, so I worried most about having an accident, a breakdown in the car, so I felt it was best, for his safety, to leave him at home.

He seems to have taken the abandonment quite well, and missing his 3 plates of mashed watermelon/bananas every day and his half dozen massages.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:17 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,573,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
What do people do if an emergency comes up either heath wise or other and they have to be gone from home for an unknown period of time. They live alone so have no one to take over for them and take care of pets.

I've thought of getting a pet over the years, my grandkids were kinda pushing me, but I didn't....can't afford the upkeep and getting old enough myself.

A lady I met in one of the rehabs I was in had to get back to her apt as she had 3 cats whom her sister fed them, but she dreaded getting home to what the cats may have done to apt in her absence.

Stuff can happen and I never thought I'd be gone for 4.5 months on a medical issue. When my daughter goes out of town with her children and it's only for a week or so, she has to hire someone to come and feed, walk the dog, keep the dog company etc...this has cost her $500 with each vacation.

If I was younger and in good walking form I would help her, but I'm not.
I would only be gone for a "long time" if absolutely necessary, like work making me go out of town, or a medical emergency.

I always kennel my dog in a place they already know and have done fine with. I used to kennel in a fancy boarding place, when I traveled for work. Usually a few days to a week, but once it lasted two weeks. I'm retired, now, so that won't happen again.

I've had to travel for a couple of days a few times during retirement. I always kenneled them at the vet's office. It wasn't as fun as a boarding place, but they're older now and one is on medication. I am more concerned with their safety and them feeling secure.

When I've gone out of town for two days a few times, I stayed in a pet friendly hotel (the same one, several times), and took them with me. That's a LOT of work for ME! But they are well trained potty-wise (no accidents....NONE), and they are so bonded with me that I think they like staying with me over the kennel.

I hired a pet sitter for a cat a couple of times year ago but NEVER AGAIN. I had bad experiences.

If you don't want to be tied down, don't let people talk you into getting a pet. Having a dog is like having a kid. You lose your freedom, and it's expensive. They give so much love and companionship in return, but it really is a problem, if you want to go out of town, if you have to go in the hospital, or even getting back home after a day at the flea market. They will get old and sick, just like you will, and will be pricey to treat and require extra care.

I have two dogs who are seniors. I have a few years to go with them. I will decide then whether to get new pets.

Frankly, if someone knows they will be leaving the house for extended periods, it's unfair to the pet to get it. Both dog and cats do better with structure and companionship with their owner.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:05 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,224 times
A friend has the neighbor kid come over, earn some money, and spend time with the cats. Kids do really well as pet sitters and there's the added bonus of having that family know you're gone and they'll keep an eye on the house.

This does two things - It encourages a kid to earn money, to work for it. It also gives the kid a chance to work with animals (his family may not have any). So it's a win-win. I also think it's great to get to know the neighbors more than a quick hi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets