U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 06:11 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,101,657 times

Advertisements

I moved from Oakland, CA to Floyd, VA with 4 large dogs and 1 cat in an RV from Cruise America back in Jan 2006. No worries about finding overnight lodging. It went very well. A friend came with me to help with all of it and then flew back to CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 10:35 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,693,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dockfam View Post
Relocating from Dallas to Sacramento with 3 dogs - one of which does not get along with the other 2 (they will kill each other) - 3 bearded dragons, a leopard gecko and 4 guinea pigs.

We are considering renting an RV to drive them up there so everyone can be separate but I'm having a hard time finding a service like that.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Pet moving services are not an option- our dogs would not do well in that kind of situation - they all have issues.

Thank you.
Rent a mini van, van, or large SUV. Get crates for everyone. Keep them all separated. Drive them all yourself to keep them all safe. There are pet friendly hotels including La Quinta, Best Western, Motel 6, etc. Call the actual hotel ahead and verify that they are pet friendly and what the fees are. You can't leave them in the room alone though.

This is how we moved our pets from NY to SC and SC to NY. Drive as far as you can in a day so that the trip goes as fast as possible. It's not going to be the easiest thing in the world, but it's definitely doable. Make sure you bring gallons of water with you for them to drink and their food!

Old 07-29-2017, 10:42 AM

9,067 posts, read 8,204,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
And from another thread:

The OP has a very different attitude from yours. I'm with the OP.
I'm not even sure why this poster would be posting on a pet forum. It seems all of their advice is to get rid of the animal. Thanks for pointing this out HIW.

To the OP, do you have or know a college age kid who could drive half the animals during a school break for gas and expenses?

My ex and I did this in college. We drove a family friend's car from SC to San Francisco during summer break and the owner paid for all of our expenses.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:50 AM

22,468 posts, read 28,354,254 times
Rent a cargo van with rear Air conditioning. Crates for everybody. Take turns running to the head and eat in the car at fast food places.

If the Pyrenees won't fit in a 700 crate, then you will have to make a crate out of plywood with a wooden frame.

You'll have to walk the dogs separately and move dogs and crates into a motel room at night.

I travel with three dogs, but fortunately, they all get along.

I suspect that most of the RV rentals are not one way and many of those companies do not allow pets. There isn't floor space in a an RV for crates and your pets should all be crated.

Also, I advise that you form the habit of doing a nose count any time that anyone opens a car door for any reason. Do not start the engine and pull away until all noses are present and accounted for.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:15 PM

3,178 posts, read 7,015,349 times
Cruise America has RV rentals and allow pets. I believe it's harder to get a one way rental but worth trying. You could also rent a couple Surburbans and put have to brood in one and half in another.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:36 PM

564 posts, read 293,066 times
Moving from Texas to Sacramento? Why? WHY?!? Why would you emmigrate from the good old USA to California?

Boggles the mind.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:40 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,115,977 times
Your problem's going to be the lizards must be kept at the correct >80 degree temp for 1700 miles and probably the guinea pigs, too - can't be living in constant AC draft.

Is either human willing to drive 1700 miles in 90 degree cars?

So they can't be in the vehicle with the 90 lb dog who requires normal household temp. IDK about the other dogs.

Otherwise, I'd say rent two vans. But that's a hella distance.

3 days?

And you can't fly/ship dogs on all airlines at all times of year - depends on temps.

You just may have to make two round trips.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:10 PM

783 posts, read 532,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I'm not even sure why this poster would be posting on a pet forum. It seems all of their advice is to get rid of the animal. Thanks for pointing this out HIW.

To the OP, do you have or know a college age kid who could drive half the animals during a school break for gas and expenses?

My ex and I did this in college. We drove a family friend's car from SC to San Francisco during summer break and the owner paid for all of our expenses.
I know there is some serious weirdness with these horrible anti pet people posting on the pet forum. A while back there was someone who was slamming us multi pet folk for living as sloths with all the fur from all of our pets. Very strange.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:34 PM

16,025 posts, read 19,549,683 times
Rehome everything except the two dogs that get along and drive them yourself.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:32 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,092,975 times
My husband and I traveled about 800 miles with 10 guinea pigs and it was tough, but, but as long as you're careful with them they should be fine. They can overheat very easily, especially if the temperature is over 80 degrees. Best to keep them at 75 MAX and make sure they have ample food and water and places to hide since they will likely be scared.

I can't say much for the rest as the only other animals I've traveled with are cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Rehome everything except the two dogs that get along and drive them yourself.

So helpful. The OP has already said that rehoming the animals is NOT going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or