U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 07:59 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,050,523 times

Advertisements

I used to share my annual snake clutches on this forum, but I've been away (from City-Data) for a few years... so now that I'm posting again, thought I'd share my latest clutch! The eggs were just laid a few days ago, and are being artificially incubated for the next 54-60 days. Mom is a normal ball python named Nerissa, and dad is a Mojave ball python named Julius. They've produced eggs together once before, and made some really pretty babies; nothing too valuable in the Ball Python world, but all baby snakes are precious imo.

Here are a couple pics of Nerissa on the eggs (before I moved them to the incubator):

And the eggs in their incubator - 4 good ones, 2 that had to be tossed:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 11:39 PM

103 posts, read 49,065 times
The pictures don't show for me. I hate shakes and avoid them like the plague in person. However, I like to see television programs and interesting pictures of snakes so I hope you update this thread when they start hatching.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:20 AM

16,398 posts, read 13,109,532 times
I'm just waiting for the pics, too!

Old 08-10-2017, 05:38 AM

16,364 posts, read 10,352,123 times
a pox on photobucket.

waiting for photos too.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:03 PM

Arrrgh... I don't understand why Photobucket did that, but they've been yelling at me about "third-party hosting" lately. Guess they no longer provide that as a free service? I'll see if I can find another way to post them - hang on.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:18 PM

I tried both Flickr and Shutterfly (I have accounts with them too), but can only share links - not photos. So here are the links, and if anyone knows how to post the photos directly, please let me know!

https://pix.sfly.com/QhmPY_

https://pix.sfly.com/9O3VXz

https://pix.sfly.com/e6SGUm

Old 08-10-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMeriMarry View Post
The pictures don't show for me. I hate shakes and avoid them like the plague in person. However, I like to see television programs and interesting pictures of snakes so I hope you update this thread when they start hatching.
Not judging, but out of curiosity - why do you hate snakes? Is it just an innate fear, or do you have a particular reason? Makes me sad when people hate them, since they're (in my opinion) such wonderful and beautiful creatures.

But at least you appreciate learning about them, so that's a step up from many folks!

Old 08-10-2017, 11:28 PM

16,364 posts, read 10,352,123 times
I did see them that way. photobucker has gotten greedy. I think you need to pay to get the 3rd party posting.

What kind of snake is she? You posted some photos last year I think. (I have no concept of time)
Is this one of the babies that hatched then?

Old 08-11-2017, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I did see them that way. photobucker has gotten greedy. I think you need to pay to get the 3rd party posting.
Stupid move on their part, considering all the free photo-hosting choices these days! I also have Shutterfly and Flickr, so I'll just figure out how to post through them instead. Lame.

Quote:
What kind of snake is she? You posted some photos last year I think. (I have no concept of time)
Is this one of the babies that hatched then?
She's a ball python named Nerissa - normal/wildtype pattern, who bred with a Mojave ball python. And this is the first clutch I've had in about 3 years, so my last egg thread was at least that long ago! Good memory otherwise, though.

Nerissa is around 11-12 years old, and I purchased her as a young adult. She had already produced one clutch for me (with the same male), resulting in some very nice-looking babies... and this current one will likely be her last, since it's not recommended to breed them beyond this age.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-11-2017 at 01:22 AM..

Old 08-12-2017, 06:12 AM

16,398 posts, read 13,109,532 times
^^^^^ I wonder why it's not recommended to breed them what age exactly? You know what? In my experience statements written by these 'experts' should often be challenged personally. I would continue breeding well into the future because your success could and would bring updated knowledge. I always held learning and discovery highly in my herpetology studies and have found that most rewarding. Make your studies valuable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets