Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2010, 03:27 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,413 times

Advertisements

I am trying some new bedding to save costs. I am appalled that it costs more to keep a guinea pig than my milk cow. We've been paying $10 a bag for bedding that needs to be changed weekly. So after a little research, I'm going to try crushed corn cob mixed with wood stove pellets (made of untreated hardwood) and a little bit of peat moss (for absorbancy) on top of a lining of paper shopping bags. This mixture should be awesome to add to my garden when I clean it out and should provide an almost perfect mix of fertilizer for it. I'm assuming the pigs will love it. Any thoughts? Anyone tried this before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 08:39 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,523,852 times
I never tried that have used shredded paper or the shavings. I should just go to saw mill and grab of the pile but then not dry. Any straw bales could use that just like cow bedding or chopped straw be even better.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:46 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,892,718 times
I have not heard of the crushed corn cob, it might work. I was going to suggest the same thing as dreamhunter, though. My daughter used to have a "house bunny" in her room, and the aspen shavings I bought were very expensive. (pine etc. shavings can apparently lead to respiratory problems in small animals) Instead I bought chopped straw by the bag for years, it was much cheaper. But if you have allergies, or "hay fever" that might not work---my daughter eventually began to have an allergic reaction from it, as well as an allergy to hay. We rode horses and every time we'd step in the barn she'd start sneezing.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:27 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times
According to the book I bought, sawdust can irritate the lungs, can plug the nostrils and dry and damage the eyes. Really, can you imagine being kept in a cage like that and being surrounded by sawdust? We use the aspen. They say that corncob bedding can be very drying to the skin. It is worth it to shop around for the bedding material. The bigger bags generally cost less per change. We get ours at the Tractor Supply store and try to catch a sale, a store coupon for % off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets