U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:50 PM

649 posts, read 2,348,432 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any ideas for where/how to sell an 8' boa? I guess I could take out a newspaper ad. CraigsList (where I sell everything else) does not allow sales of pets.

We are moving to Hawaii and snakes are not allowed there. We have had "Fuzzy" ('cause she's not) for about 17 years, and really want her to go to a good home. We're not concerned about getting a lot of $$, but want to be sure she goes to someone who will really want such a pet for the long run, not just as a fad right now.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:06 PM

2,372 posts, read 5,155,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
Anyone have any ideas for where/how to sell an 8' boa? I guess I could take out a newspaper ad. CraigsList (where I sell everything else) does not allow sales of pets.

We are moving to Hawaii and snakes are not allowed there. We have had "Fuzzy" ('cause she's not) for about 17 years, and really want her to go to a good home. We're not concerned about getting a lot of $$, but want to be sure she goes to someone who will really want such a pet for the long run, not just as a fad right now.
There's lots of online places specifically for selling reptiles Reptile Auctions and FaunaClassifieds - Site Home Page are a couple. Make sure when you list you have yourself covered as far as shipping because it's pricey. Proper packaging for the shipment of reptiles is critical and you really MUST ship them overnight, next day air, or 1-3 day (so long as you ship on a Monday so it won't sit in an uncontrolled warehouse over the weekend).

Old 03-13-2008, 01:35 PM

649 posts, read 2,348,432 times
Thanks! I didn't know about those sites.

I wouldn't ship my snake, though. I will have to specify local purchaser only. I just wouldn't know how to go about that and would not want to risk losing her.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:10 PM

733 posts, read 2,447,411 times
I would contact a reptile rescue group. They would know how to screen for a good owner.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:06 PM

3,727 posts, read 8,102,859 times
A rescue group is a great idea. ANother thought w/b to post on Craigslist for a reasonable adoption fee (you could even donate it to a reptile recue group) but check out the person who's interested, make sure they're knowledable about snakes and can afford one, want one for the right reasons, would get ref's (personal and vet) and even do a home visit etc to make sure they're legitimate, hopefully they understand your concern.
Good luck placing your snake and with your upcoming move.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:46 PM

2,238 posts, read 6,451,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
A rescue group is a great idea. ANother thought w/b to post on Craigslist for a reasonable adoption fee (you could even donate it to a reptile recue group) but check out the person who's interested, make sure they're knowledable about snakes and can afford one, want one for the right reasons, would get ref's (personal and vet) and even do a home visit etc to make sure they're legitimate, hopefully they understand your concern.
Good luck placing your snake and with your upcoming move.
You cannot post animals for sale or adoption on Craigslist, period. It's against their TOS.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:18 PM

3,727 posts, read 8,102,859 times
True, you can't sell animals on CL but you can rehome them for a small fee (key word small, not exhorbitant like some ask for or it will be flagged).

Old 03-17-2008, 12:01 AM

542 posts, read 1,414,190 times
Do you have a pet store in your area? Not a chain but a "Mom & Pop" store? I worked at a local pet store and we would buy animals from people when they were moving.Contact your local herp society also maybe then can help.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:25 PM

19,528 posts, read 50,897,729 times
You can try petbugs.com too, or maybe kingsnake.com - the information portal for reptile and amphibian hobbyists. as well. If that fails you can post it for sale in the classifieds on Atshq.org or The Venomlist - For All Things Venomous or Arachnoboards - Powered by vBulletin.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:03 PM

8,195 posts, read 17,001,706 times
How about donating Fuzzy to a Zoo?!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets