U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 11:09 AM

14,255 posts, read 7,857,449 times

Advertisements

My pets are pampered spoiled brats. My Howie (dog) will be 11 soon and is sliding down the other side of the mountain. I may have him another year, maybe two if I'm lucky. I'm very particular about who watches my pets and I lost a great house sitter two years ago. Lately I haven't wanted to travel without taking the dogs with. Time grows short with my precious one and I don't want to miss a minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 11:18 AM

9,751 posts, read 5,429,060 times
Well, it wasn't just the boy cat, but the girl cats, too (he's just more possessive). They all know the guilt trip when one is one the net and they look up at you with those eyes..............

..................or are they the guardian angels in fur, telling one that they really shouldn't be on the computer?

Two things. First of all, they are here for a shorter time than we are, so one should not get into the mind set of "it can be later" for sooner or later it won't be.

Secondly, there are those questions I asked. Someone to be avoided? Proceed carefully? Knowing they are like that, is there a way to work with them?

Old 08-19-2017, 11:39 AM

9,067 posts, read 8,215,349 times
I have multiple cats so I dont have to leave them alone.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:11 PM

22,505 posts, read 28,404,027 times
My dogs survive it just fine if I leave them for a few days (with a competent caregiver).

I've a few friends that leave pets with me. The dogs make a huge fuss about being heartbroken and as soon as their mommy's car is out the driveway, they bounce into play mode and enjoy themselves. They aren't suffering as badly as they would like for you to believe.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:15 PM

3,804 posts, read 1,613,544 times
One time I was all wound up about leaving for a trip, and my cat started running loops around the house. That's when I realized they do pick up on my emotions.

So I sat down with him and explained what was going on. That calmed us both down. I left for my trip, the cat sitter did her thing, the cat knocked one thing off the counter (a tradition), and we all survived.

Now whenever I'll be gone for an extended time (i.e., will miss a feeding), I tell the cats what's happening.

If you don't really want to do something, don't do it. Your pet will react to your attitudes and emotions, not what's causing them.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:00 PM

3,929 posts, read 7,490,833 times
Sometimes I go on a trip because it is important to my spouse, or because I want to visit my elderly parents. In general, I would rather stay home with my animals, and they also would rather I stay home.

However, even before I had pets, I preferred staying home, so it isn't just because of them.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:08 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,771,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
My pets are pampered spoiled brats. My Howie (dog) will be 11 soon and is sliding down the other side of the mountain. I may have him another year, maybe two if I'm lucky. I'm very particular about who watches my pets and I lost a great house sitter two years ago. Lately I haven't wanted to travel without taking the dogs with. Time grows short with my precious one and I don't want to miss a minute.
I am in the same boat with my 12.5 y/o Bailey...... She and I did a lot of traveling, visiting friends from Nebraska to South Texas in her younger years, but she is arthritic now and would be uncomfortable riding in the car for those extended periods.......

Then, I have the OTHER five dogs to consider.... I farmed four of them out to two different friends for a couple of weeks while I recovered from hip replacement surgery..... We were all fine, but super happy to have the entire family reunited.....

I can't even begin to imagine how much a pet sitter would charge me to care for 4 or 5 dogs and 2 cats if I did go on a trip for more than a couple of days....

So, I have changed my life in that I don't do the road trips to visit friends and family like I used to love to do..... But I am content with my decision.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
My dogs survive it just fine if I leave them for a few days (with a competent caregiver).

I've a few friends that leave pets with me. The dogs make a huge fuss about being heartbroken and as soon as their mommy's car is out the driveway, they bounce into play mode and enjoy themselves. They aren't suffering as badly as they would like for you to believe.

LOL..... just like human toddlers!!

Old 08-19-2017, 02:53 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,910,327 times
I think you (any pet owner) need to find a trusted human to watch them, like a friend or relative they already know. I'm lucky to have a friend who pet sits for me, and she was also my next-door neighbor for 5 years (how we met) - so my animals are all very comfortable with her, and seem to consider her like the best alternative to me. I'd only cancel my vacation plans if a pet was obviously SICK, but not because of their stress. Would you cancel travel plans with your spouse, if the kids started acting up beforehand? Maybe you would, but I know my parents never would have done that! They'd be like "get over it," and assume we'd be fine once they were gone. Which we were, btw.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:59 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,910,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Two things. First of all, they are here for a shorter time than we are, so one should not get into the mind set of "it can be later" for sooner or later it won't be.
Yeah, but most "animal people" will ALWAYS have a pet or two (or more) in the house... so should we never ever travel because of them? I've never been without at least a cat, and currently have 3 cats and a dog, ranging in age from 1-16 years old. So basically you're saying I should hold off on travel for at least another 15ish years, which would be when I'm 55 myself. Sorry, but that ain't happening!

For the record, I take my dog with me whenever possible - but only on road trips, since I'm not comfortable with making him fly.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:25 PM
KCZ

1,646 posts, read 952,380 times
It's much harder if you have birds because most pet-sitters have minimal experience caring for them, are unable to give meds, know nothing about signs of illness, and are unable or unwilling to take them to the nearest (i.e. not nearby) avian vet if there's a problem. The most you can hope for is having someone throw food in the cage at times the birds probably aren't used to. I almost never go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets