Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 12:30 PM
KCZ

4,655 posts, read 3,629,825 times

Advertisements

I don't know about Harvey, but during Katrina, some people were forced to leave their pets behind because at times, all available space in rescue boats was needed for people and pets weren't allowed on board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 03:46 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,968,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
The dogs and cats that were in Houston shelters as strays, etc. were the ones that have been carried to various states.

That was done to make room to shelter-in-place, so-to-speak, the animals that were separated from their families.
Yes, a few of the shelters/rescue groups here went and brought back dogs and cats from Texas and Louisiana. Just about all the shelters here had just participated in " clear the shelter day" on August 19, so they had more then enough room to accommodate these animals.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:51 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,207,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Couldn't agree more. People who treat sentient animals like that are scum. IMO, chaining should be illegal, period. There are dogs who are chained up all their lives by creeps who basically want a burglar alarm. Vile!
I have two shepard mixes. One is tall and big, and calm, but he listens. When he hears something he has this look, and makes sure I notice. If the stranger is close, he barks, and then the smaller than normal mix chimes in. Nobody has tried... And I don't even have to have them outside.

Dogs do us a good service by alerting their humans, but you don't even need them to be outside. These jerks and their chains must need to prove how macho they are too.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:22 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I read about a guy who had his pet python snake chipped. The da**ed thing escaped and got into a lady's house, looking to eat her rabbits. Police were called, somehow trapped it and....returned it to its owner Apparently the snake was "legal", registered, licensed, or whatever one does with a snake.....it was about 8 ft long and curled up around the homeowner's toilet!
In most cities, it's perfectly legal to own a snake (no registration or anything required) under 10ft - I should know, as I personally have owned over 40! Currently have 8 smaller pythons, and they're as legal as my dog and cats. Actually, unlike the dog/cats, I don't even have to license them annually. They are harmless and easy to catch, too, so no need for the dramatics in your post.

Anyway, just had to respond to that! And yes, the animals who were ALREADY up for adoption are being sent to other cities/states... shelters here in the Bay Area have taken many, and are now housing more from Sonoma County shelters (following the fires). I've also learned not to judge those who've left animals behind, after hearing stories of the families caught in those recent fires. I know people up there, who said they literally had MINUTES to evacuate, as fires were barreling towards their homes at 100+ mph. And in many cases the Sheriffs were there to enforce evacuation, so you couldn't even choose to be a hero. My dog would be easy to wrangle even in that situation, but my cats and snakes? Hard to say, really.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:32 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
I don't see how any jackwad could leave without their pets. If you can get out of their, you can take your pets.
What if you had dogs, cats, horses, and goats - with literal minutes to escape a raging wildfire? Can you still say the same? Sure, it's easy to grab a pet or two, maybe even three. But any more than that, or if you have large animals like horses, it's false to say "if you can get yourself out, you can get them too." I'd be devastated to leave my beloved pets behind, but if it's that or dying with them, I'd have to make that choice. Don't judge unless you've been in that situation yourself.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:49 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,680,954 times
I live in the Houston area. . .
Houston did a great job holding on to the pets and waiting for their owners to reclaim them.

One news story I remember - A homeowner was trying to find their horse after Harvey. The horse was in Austin. !! But was reunited.
https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...-after-harvey/

Family reunited with horse after it was injured in Hurricane Harvey

Old 10-29-2017, 07:53 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,680,954 times
Here is an update:

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...-after-harvey/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets