Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 03:06 PM

23,077 posts, read 18,469,364 times

Advertisements

Yes, twice over many years; not because of "lifestyle" or budget, but behaviors. I am haunted by the decisions and circumstances to this day. Sorry, it hurts too much to give the details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 12:54 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times
Not counting "pocket" pets like fish and snakes (which I occasionally breed for the main purpose of selling), I have given up two - a parrot and a cat. The parrot was a young African Grey female, who I named Maggie, and she was a great bird! But unbeknownst to myself prior to adopting her, I am DEATHLY allergic to parrots. I had her for about six months, during which time I was so sick, the doctors actually thought I had HIV or leukemia when blood work was drawn. Eventually we deduced it was the bird making me sick, and this was confirmed with a scratch test (using a serum from her feathers). When the doctor injected me with that serum, I began to go into anaphylactic shock, and had to receive epinephrine. So they gave me the option of either getting weekly shots for her life, which could have exceeded my own lifespan, or finding her a new home. My veterinarian at the time offered to hold her until I found that new home, but maybe a month later, she said "My husband has really bonded with Maggie, but we can't afford what you're asking for her; anything we can do?" I replied "she's yours - no charge," and AFAIK, she's been blissfully happy with them & their menagerie ever since.

The cat (named Brianna) was a different story, and really she wasn't even mine to begin with. She'd been abandoned by a neighbor, disappeared then reappeared very pregnant, so I took her in to have the kittens. After the kittens had been adopted out, I spayed and tried to keep her, but my other cat at the time was NOT having it. They were constantly fighting, and Gizmo was terrorizing the poor thing soooo badly. I ended up giving her to a friend, whose father was looking for a new "barn cat." She seemed happier outside anyway, and Gizmo was obviously never going to accept her. Aside from that situation, however, I have never given up a dog or cat. When I adopt it's for life! I've had cats for as long as 18 years, and my dog has been with me for almost 12 years now.

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-01-2017 at 01:05 PM..

Old 10-13-2017, 08:17 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,580,243 times
Only once. I sold a horse that I had raised from a baby to the woman who had been leasing him. And it wasn't because he didn't fit my lifestyle or budget. It was because the new owner was a better fit for his needs and personality than I was.

Other than that my animals stay wit me for life and I adjust my lifestyle( as much as possible) and manage my budget in order to provide for them.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:19 PM

5,840 posts, read 5,249,565 times
When I was married to my first husband, we had 4 cats. One day we had lunch with a friend of his and asked us if we wanted a dog. I said, NO! That day when I got home from work, I saw a bag on a chair. I looked in it and there were cans of dog food. I said, "He didn't. He didn't." I looked out in the back yard and saw the most manginess, scruffy looking dog. We gave her bath and tried to cut off some of the matted fur. She was very sweet and just wanted to be loved. At this time, my husband & I were having issues and I just didn't have the energy to take care of a dog-especially one that needed to be house broken. She really needed a lot more than I could give her at that time-and he was unless. I put my foot down and said that I was getting rid of the dog. He didn't question that decision. I gave her to a guy I worked with and it really was a good fit. Like I said, the dog was very sweet.

Shortly after that, my marriage ended and I got orders to go overseas (I was in the military). I didn't want to have to give up my 4 cats but I couldn't take them with me and I didn't know what to do. I am very grateful that my mother volunteered to take care of them while I was overseas. They were all very happy when I returned 9 months later (3 months earlier than planned).

Cat

Old 10-18-2017, 09:06 AM

253 posts, read 227,672 times
Never. As far as I'm concerned unless you physically can't care for them anymore or are such a bad financial position that you can't afford care there is no excuse to take an animal into your home and then look to get rid of them because it stopped being convenient.

The only time I've ever taken an animal in and then rehomed them was when I took them in with the understanding (for myself) that it would be a foster situation. I've rescued some animals where I just couldn't dedicate the time needed to really rehabilitate them, so I was happy to act a temporary safe haven for them before finding their forever home.

The best story I had there was rescuing a BEAUTIFUL Green Iguana whose teenage owner had gone off to college and left him behind. He hadn't been handled since he was a baby so he was super cagey and did not want anything to do with me. I gave it my best to hang on to him even though that was never the plan because I thought he was such an incredible animal, but ultimately I realized my original foster plan was what was best for him. I got him placed in the home of an amazing reptile enthusiast who already had an 8 year old igunana who was a free roaming house pet. He sent me pictures for a few years showing how he had grown and thrived in his new home, so I could take solace knowing I helped get him there.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:07 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,687,585 times
Nope. Never. I don't run away from my responsibilities

Old 10-18-2017, 07:12 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,470,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Unless you birthed the dog, I don't really understand this comment.

For clarification purposes, how do you say that you're responsible for something that you didn't bring into the world or create?

Running away from your child...yeah, I get that. You created it, brought it into the world, it's your responsibility. A dog was created either by way of breeding or lack of appropriate neutering/spaying, and is not something you had any control of whatsoever in most cases.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:59 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,632,814 times
No, husband and I are committed when we take in a pet. One time, however, we took in a starving stray lab mix puppy just to get her off the streets, with the intention of finding a good home for her. I posted a found ad in the paper to make sure no one was searching for her and we were contacted by a family who had just lost their 14 year old lab. They wanted to meet her and possibly adopt her if we couldn't find her home and couldn't keep her. Turns out they used the same vet we did and he gave them a great reference. They came to meet her and she went home with them. We were in contact with them for a few years and even watched her a couple times when they went on vacation. So that turned out very well for all concerned.

Last edited by CatTX; 10-23-2017 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: correcting auto-correct. :)

Old 10-23-2017, 08:20 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Read the stories here, and maybe you'll understand it's not always about "running away from responsibilities" - sometimes it's the best decision to make for the animal and/or humans involved, and finding them a new home IS the responsible thing to do. In my story about the parrot, for example, what else would you have suggested I do? Risk my health and take weekly allergy shots for LIFE, rather than finding her a wonderful new home before she even bonded with me? She was only about a year old, and parrots can live 80+ years... so it was the best thing for both of us, and I'm sure she (now almost 20 years later) doesn't even remember me. I have no regrets, and feel she would agree if you asked her. She actually could talk, after all. LOL

Old 10-25-2017, 12:35 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,470,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Read the stories here, and maybe you'll understand it's not always about "running away from responsibilities" - sometimes it's the best decision to make for the animal and/or humans involved, and finding them a new home IS the responsible thing to do. In my story about the parrot, for example, what else would you have suggested I do? Risk my health and take weekly allergy shots for LIFE, rather than finding her a wonderful new home before she even bonded with me? She was only about a year old, and parrots can live 80+ years... so it was the best thing for both of us, and I'm sure she (now almost 20 years later) doesn't even remember me. I have no regrets, and feel she would agree if you asked her. She actually could talk, after all. LOL
I agree. Sometimes you go in with the best intent and then realize that you're incapable of providing the best life for that particular animal.

My fiance and I have had many ups and downs with a puppy we adopted from a shelter. Our intent was to give it a better life than it would living in a shelter. However, we are also two working professionals and having a puppy, we came to find out, entailed a tremendous amount of time and dedication. On many occasions, we felt extremely burnt out and that our quality of life was slipping. Now, that's not at all what the purpose of a pet is. A pet is supposed to bring you happiness and joy.

Furthermore, we were concerned that we couldn't be home enough to allow the pup to expend enough energy and potty frequently. The real scare is when she got sick and the vet gave us a bill that could have reached as far up as $1000. Again, I don't know a single person who goes into pet ownership happy about expensive vet bills.

Essentially, we started to think that we bit off way more than we could chew. However, the puppy is going on six months old and she is still with us. And she's beginning to settle down A LOT more, she potty's on a more routine schedule, and she's been really good about not destroying our property.

A lot more people should be aware that raising a pup is tremendously time and effort intensive. If you don't have someone who works at home during the day and can spend a significant time with it out of a crate, I would not recommend adopting one. Lesson learned on our part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets