U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 07:39 AM

11,394 posts, read 3,890,035 times

Advertisements

5 Years in prison with the ability to hand out an unlimited fine and ban an offender from owning animals for life. The move in England will bring maximum sentences for animal cruelty in England into line with Northern Ireland, the Irish Republic, Australia, and Canada.

The Scottish government also recently committed to increasing the maximum penalty to five years' imprisonment.

Lets hope more countries follow suit.

Animal cruelty sentences to rise to five years in prison - BBC News

Animal cruelty: New law will increase penalty for abuse to five years in prison | The Independent

Under the previous 2006 Animal Wefare Bill you must make sure that any animal you own or care for:
  • has a proper diet and fresh water
  • has somewhere suitable to live
  • is kept with or away from other animals, depending on its needs
  • is allowed to express itself and behave normally
  • is protected from, and treated for, illness and injury
Failure to do so will result in prosecution and be liable for an unlimited fine or be sent to prison (for up to 5 years now), if you don’t look after an animal properly. You may also be banned from owning animals in future including a life time ban.

Caring for pets - GOV.UK

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-30-2017 at 07:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 07:57 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,441,104 times
The United States could/should learn a lot from this!!

Old 09-30-2017, 09:44 AM

1,437 posts, read 521,281 times
I read an article a couple of days ago that showed pictures of two teen boys horrifically abusing their bulldog puppy in England. One abused while the other filmed. The poor puppy was slammed into the wall, repeatedly thrown down the stairs and one of the teens stood on her. I can't imagine what kind of parents raised them, at any rate, they walked free. The puppy lost the use of her legs and had to be put down. There were over 90,000 signatures for these teens to be punished. It's great when people come together over stories like these, to put pressure on their elected so that positive results can happen.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
I read an article a couple of days ago that showed pictures of two teen boys horrifically abusing their bulldog puppy in England. One abused while the other filmed. The poor puppy was slammed into the wall, repeatedly thrown down the stairs and one of the teens stood on her. I can't imagine what kind of parents raised them, at any rate, they walked free. The puppy lost the use of her legs and had to be put down. There were over 90,000 signatures for these teens to be punished. It's great when people come together over stories like these, to put pressure on their elected so that positive results can happen.
There was a massive public outcry, there was even a petition to have their sentence reviewed and this mght have helped bring about the new laws.

As for the two evil brothers they were forces out of their home, were assaulted themselves by angry people and are now shunned by decent normal society.

Brothers filmed abusing pet bulldog put on suspended prison sentence - Telegraph

Politicians and public call for Redcar brothers who abused dog to be jailed - BBC News

Frankish brothers who threw dog down stairs forced from home after backlash | UK | News | Express.co.uk

Yorkshire brother who filmed a dog being thrown downstairs assaulted after 'soft' sentence | Daily Mail Online

Reconsider Andrew and Daniel Frankish's Sentence - Change.org

Operation Frankish

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-30-2017 at 10:24 AM..

Old 09-30-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Lots of articles on that horrible case. The Daily Mail said 90,000 signatures, happy to see that many more people signed. I have a bulldog and this story kind of hit home. Bulldogs have such sweet faces, I can't even imagine what that poor little dog must have suffered. I would have thrown myself down the stairs before throwing my adorable puppy. Those monsters should never go near another dog. It's great to know that strict new laws will now be in place and it's about time!

Old 10-01-2017, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Lots of articles on that horrible case. The Daily Mail said 90,000 signatures, happy to see that many more people signed. I have a bulldog and this story kind of hit home. Bulldogs have such sweet faces, I can't even imagine what that poor little dog must have suffered. I would have thrown myself down the stairs before throwing my adorable puppy. Those monsters should never go near another dog. It's great to know that strict new laws will now be in place and it's about time!
480,000 people signed the petition regarding the bulldog and to have these evil brothers put in jail, however at the time the maximum sentence was 6 months and the Magistrates didn't even give them that.

By making such serious cases 5 years they will now be passed to a Crown Court, a Jury and a Circuit or High Court Judge rather than being dealt with at the Magistrates Court with it's limited powers.

The Bulldog is a national symbol in Britain, and the vast majority of people here are animal lovers and would never hurt an animal, however you are always sadly going to get some evil people in society like these brothers.

I would like even stronger sentencing but 5 years, an unlimited fine and a life time ban from keeping animals for serious cases of animal abuse is a start.

It also should be noted that serial killers and other violent criminals often start by abusing animals, and that people who abuse animals are a danger to society.

Thankfully your Bulldog has you to look after them, and I am sure you are a great owner and your bulldog has a lovely life.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
480,000 people signed the petition regarding the bulldog and to have these evil brothers put in jail, however at the time the maximum sentence was 6 months and the Magistrates didn't even give them that.

By making such serious cases 5 years they will now be passed to a Crown Court, a Jury and a Circuit or High Court Judge rather than being dealt with at the Magistrates Court with it's limited powers.

The Bulldog is a national symbol in Britain, and the vast majority of people here are animal lovers and would never hurt an animal, however you are always sadly going to get some evil people in society like these brothers.

I would like even stronger sentencing but 5 years, an unlimited fine and a life time ban from keeping animals for serious cases of animal abuse is a start.

It also should be noted that serial killers and other violent criminals often start by abusing animals, and that people who abuse animals are a danger to society.

Thankfully your Bulldog has you to look after them, and I am sure you are a great owner and your bulldog has a lovely life.
I agree with you that five years is a start, but not really enough. Even so, it will help people understand that there are consequences for their actions.

You made a great point that the majority of people in Britian are animal lovers. There is a steady stream of abuse stories, where dogs are starved, beaten and dumped, and abusers walk away, so I was beginning to doubt it!

Thanks, Mr Darcy is a lovely boy, and very well loved.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:59 AM

11,917 posts, read 3,597,220 times
This is great news, and I wish the US would do likewise.

One of the most consistent predictors of violence toward people is violence toward pets.

God, I want to move to UK sometimes...

Old 10-09-2017, 04:34 PM

35,087 posts, read 10,364,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
This is great news, and I wish the US would do likewise.

One of the most consistent predictors of violence toward people is violence toward pets.

God, I want to move to UK sometimes ...

Why? The maximum sentence for aggravated animal cruelty is 6 years in Tennessee. And if you want to move somewhere, it's 10 years in Alaska.

That UK change reflects a maximum sentence, and that's the point. U.S. laws have maximum sentences that are seldom, if ever, imposed. And quite frankly, the UK was no bastion of animal welfare--its previous maximum had been a paltry 6 months, which is far less than anything you'd find here.

I don't mean any of this unkindly because it's clear that you care about animals, as do I. But maximum sentences mean nothing when they're not imposed by those who have the power to do so.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:13 AM

1,401 posts, read 838,966 times
I belong to another group where almost all of the members live in the UK, and someone recently posted about this new 5-year rule. She was extremely frustrated, saying that in the cases she's followed since the law was passed, the abusers received sentences of "5 year ban on owning pets". Not a prison sentence of even 5 hours, let alone anywhere near a 5-year prison term...nothing but a ban on pets, which is most likely extremely difficult to enforce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets