U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 10:38 AM

7,782 posts, read 4,352,939 times

Advertisements

Discuss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 11:31 AM

1,021 posts, read 734,761 times
Not much to say... I already mentioned I have a golden as a pet. And I am in my early 30's... I don't care if some people think it is a pet for children only. He is a "black bear" golden, bought him from Petsupermarket when he was about 1-2 months old, unsure about the exact age but prior to puberty. In my area, black bears are rare. Usually the long haired and other fancy colors are sold. Momocho is so friendly that I can't help but take him home. His schedule works great with mine. He does his thing, I do my thing.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:32 AM

They seem wonderfully low-maintenance, but is there any bond or connection there? Do you find him to have a personality?

Old 10-24-2017, 05:41 AM

Momocho has a personality, like all of my pets including my skink. It may not be as recognizable or appreciated like in a cat or dog. He has his likes and dislikes. He loves bread, but dislikes his Oxbow hamster food which he will eat as the last thing on his bowl. He does not mind being petted but wary if you pet him too much or try to pick him up. He recognizes me when I feed him vs my friend who tried to feed him.

Compared to my dog, cat or bunny, the bond is not as strong for me. However, I got him when he was a little older than a pup and I did not spend the time to tame him because he is awake when I go to bed. So you get what you put into it. If you are a nightowl, then you will have time to tame your hamster. They sleep during the day and waking them up will not help you earn its trust at all.

I raised baby dwarf hamsters in the past. As adults, they bite and are flighty. But when the pups are handled at a young age (ie 4-5 weeks), they are a lot of fun. They will come up to you and climb on your hands and interact with you. So if you want a challenge, picking up an older hamster from the pet store is fine. If you want a hamster that is mostly tamed from birth, get one from a good breeder who handles the pups at a young age.

Keep in mind, goldens don't do well in stress. Being moved around a lot can be stressful because of the noise, smells, etc... Even if the pet is being moved with the cage. They are intelligent enough to know something is going on outside their cage.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the input! You might be the only adult hamster-owner out there. I think it's a great option for a busy working person; better than neglecting a higher-order animal with greater social needs. I know I grew totally attached to mine when I was a child (I had a series of them; of course the lifespan is only 2-3 years) and was emotionally devastated each time one died of old age, but I didn't know if that might be simply because I WAS a child at the time, so I wondered how satisfying they would be as a pet for a grownup. Of course they're absolutely adorable and cute, and I do remember one of mine loved to be held. I'd get him out of his cage as soon as he became active each night and just cup him in my hand against my chest. He'd lie there drinking in the closeness for about half an hour, then was ready to rip and run around the living room. I considered that a "bond," but maybe I was reaching? I WOULD like to get one very young so he'd become tame and affectionate (I can't remember ever being bitten by one of mine as a child, but...) What ages are those sold in pet stores, generally, and is that young enough? Not sure where I'd find a "hamster breeder" around here...

Last edited by otterhere; 10-24-2017 at 08:07 AM..

Old 10-24-2017, 08:37 AM

I think pet stores generally get them around 6 weeks old or older, depending on where they get them from and how long they stayed in the store. When I bought Momocho, none of the staff knew his age, but the breeder generally sells them 1-2 months old hamsters. There is really no way to tell except it reached sexual maturity and then you know you have an adult. Pups looks and acts like mini adults before puberty. If you are lucky, some pet owners surrender young pups to pet stores because there are little to no small animal rescue in most states. I found a pet store that had 4 week old hamsters. The owner gave them up. Or you can look on Craigslist. When they make babies they produce a lot in one litter. If you look hard enough, you should find someone looking to re home a baby hamster.

I agree, there are not many golden breeders. I was just talking to my husband about maybe breeding Momocho with another black bear from a good line since they are uncommon in my area. Sad thing is that with a large litter of pups and not enough buyers, breeders and aspiring breeders like me would have trouble finding them homes.

Those that do breed them may require for you to travel to pick up the pet. However, you will find a variety of goldens you may never see in pet stores, if that is what you want. And they would be handled and friendly. Again, it may seem a lot of work to buy a hamster but that depends on how much you want to bond with it and what your expectations are. Do your research. We hamster loving adults are out there somewhere!

Old 10-24-2017, 08:39 AM

On the other hand, I WOULD want to know the gender (I prefer a male so I don't have to deal with its coming into season; they're also smaller), so there's that. As I say, I never had a problem with them nipping me as a child, but would want the closest bond possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or