U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 08:07 PM

667 posts, read 280,654 times

Advertisements

Cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 08:32 PM

769 posts, read 360,698 times
Based on the fact that you won't be home until seven I think a cat is the better pet. They are independent, they don't need to be walked daily, they don't need to be let out to go potty, they are usually quiet, they sleep a lot!

Dogs require much more care and attention. They take up more of your time for walking, playing, and cleaning up after. They will be sad and lonely if you are gone all day, a cat just sleeps and doesn't care.

Allergies are an issue, but there are cats that you can find that you are less likely to have allergy problems with.

Just remember that whatever animal you choose cat or dog, it's for keeps, for the life of the pet. It is a huge commitment that should not be taken likely.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:46 PM

384 posts, read 214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
My wife and I are looking to adopt our first pet as a married couple. We're contemplating getting either a cat or a dog and could use some advice. Here's a little background:

- We own and live in a 1,050-sq-ft second-floor condo with balcony (no yard)
- I've had cats my whole life and have never had a dog. She's had only one cat and several dogs
- I'm partial to cats, while she prefers dogs. Still, we each find both types of pets awfully cute.
- She's had allergic reactions to a few (not all) cats, which at times have caused her to break out in hives. Some dogs with fur give her allergies, but it is not as strong a reaction as that around cats. Certain cats/dogs might give me some sniffles here and there, but nothing too bad.
- We're both very low maintenance, which favors getting a kitty.
- Because of traffic and other responsibilties, we don't get home until almost 7 p.m.
- I prefer a quiet/relaxing home, which favors getting a cat. Many of my neighbors own dogs that just don't know when to stop barking, and I really don't want a dog running all over the place, pooping everywhere, etc.
- I like the fact that dogs are affectionate. Many cats tend to be aloof and indifferent. If I were to get a cat, I would need to interact with it enough before adopting to know the affection I give it will be reciprocated.

The biggest problem with getting a cat seems to be my wife's allergies. I've read that Russian Blues and Bengals are hypoallergenic, but is this true?

I've warmed up more to the idea of getting a dog lately, but it would have to be a small toy dog, e.g., a maltipoo.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Get a cat. You are on second floor with no yard, a dog would be a lot of work , the neighbors below you would hear the barking if you are gone until 7pm daily. I would actually get two cats so that they wouldn't be lonely .

Old 10-26-2017, 09:43 PM

898 posts, read 473,006 times
Why is this a choice? We have cats and dogs and they live in harmony but if your wife is allergic - she'd best line up a good dermatologist and get allergy shots no matter what you get unless you get a goldfish - there is nothing worse then people getting pets then abandoning them because they somehow thought their allergies would just vanish or wouldn't be affected. Pets have dander and puppies and kittens bite and scratch when they're playing with you - its not just fur that causes allergic reactions to people truly allergic. In my experience though, those people are few and far between and its mostly people who really don't want the responsibility of a pet who claim they are allergic. And if you are out all day long - its just mean to get any pet that is going to be alone the whole day, bored - especially a dog that will have to be trained to relieve itself on a wee wee pad if you are gone 10 hours. SO if that's the case - I'd get two pets so they can keep each other company. And I wouldn't get any new pet until I had vacation time coming to spend time with them - making sure they get along and are trained and resolving any digestive troubles they may have with certain foods etc. That said - shelters are loaded up with animals desperate for a forever home - so I do hope you make the choice to share your home with a loving animal - or two.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:16 PM

1,055 posts, read 455,968 times
Cats are ideal friends to live with you in an apartment. Dogs bark and often bite for no reason. How's your insurance if your dog bites a guest !

The truth is unless you own a home with a yard a dog is a real bother and is dangerous to all people around them.

Winner.......A cat of your choice.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:51 PM

10,379 posts, read 8,374,270 times
Since you are gone long hours, a very young kitten would be a poor choice. Instead, a kitten/young cat who's about four to six months old, or better yet, two kitties to keep one another company, would be a much better and kinder choice. A male and female, or two males, would likely be the most congenial.

Orangie-boys do tend to have very sweet personalities. This is also true for orange and white tuxedos or piebald cats. Blue-gray shorthairs can also be very intelligent and people-oriented, as can black and white tuxedos, though the latter can be a bit "adventurous". But they still tend to be friendly and affectionate.

This is not true in all cases, of course, but it appears that color is genetically linked with personality traits. Brown or gray tabbies seem to vary widely in personality, so don't rule them out - you might hit the jackpot! I've also had very loving solid black kitties.

(I hasten to add, I have not had all the above-described cats at the same time!)

Old 10-27-2017, 01:42 AM

28 posts, read 85,748 times
Default Cat

We have both.
You arent home enough for a dog, not even close. But I dont know how you're going to deal
with allergies and cats.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:00 AM

10,237 posts, read 4,804,704 times
I agree with those that say get a cat. However if you get a kitten instead of adopting a more mature cat, I would get two so they can keep each other company. A dog is a very social animal and I don't think it would be happy being alone all day. Also do you want to walk a dog three times a day?

Old 10-27-2017, 06:03 AM

3,145 posts, read 3,073,519 times
I grew up with one cat at a time, but hubby and I ended up adopting 2 brothers from the Humane Society. Love having both, (sweetest kitties in the world!) and they keep each other company if we're out all day. We also live in an apartment and keep them indoors so that cuts down on them bringing in grass and weed allergies. I'm slightly allergic to cats, but I seemed to become immune to my cats. Sometimes I'll feel a little allergy when I'm in another home that has cats. It's weird.
I would definitely check though about your wife's allergies though. Severe symptoms would be no fun at all.

By the way, we were only married about a year when we got them. They are almost 15 years old and by golly we're still married!

Old 10-27-2017, 07:55 AM

895 posts, read 1,920,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
My wife and I are looking to adopt our first pet as a married couple. We're contemplating getting either a cat or a dog and could use some advice. Here's a little background:

- We own and live in a 1,050-sq-ft second-floor condo with balcony (no yard)
- I've had cats my whole life and have never had a dog. She's had only one cat and several dogs
- I'm partial to cats, while she prefers dogs. Still, we each find both types of pets awfully cute.
- She's had allergic reactions to a few (not all) cats, which at times have caused her to break out in hives. Some dogs with fur give her allergies, but it is not as strong a reaction as that around cats. Certain cats/dogs might give me some sniffles here and there, but nothing too bad.
- We're both very low maintenance, which favors getting a kitty.
- Because of traffic and other responsibilties, we don't get home until almost 7 p.m.
- I prefer a quiet/relaxing home, which favors getting a cat. Many of my neighbors own dogs that just don't know when to stop barking, and I really don't want a dog running all over the place, pooping everywhere, etc.
- I like the fact that dogs are affectionate. Many cats tend to be aloof and indifferent. If I were to get a cat, I would need to interact with it enough before adopting to know the affection I give it will be reciprocated.

The biggest problem with getting a cat seems to be my wife's allergies. I've read that Russian Blues and Bengals are hypoallergenic, but is this true?

I've warmed up more to the idea of getting a dog lately, but it would have to be a small toy dog, e.g., a maltipoo.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
I love and prefer dogs, but your situation seems to call for a cat. Dogs are social creatures and shouldn't be left alone for extended periods of time all day. They are also a lot of work and demand a lot of your time, even when you are home. Almost like having a baby.

If you really want a dog, you may consider getting 2 of them to keep each other company, and having someone walk them or taking them to doggy daycare occasionally for stimulation. Which can get very expensive (also boarding 2 dogs if you go on vacation is expensive). So maybe only get a dog(s) if money is no object for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or