U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 05:58 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,310,682 times

Advertisements

We have a possum that visits our back deck often. I am going to buy a live trap and catch him. We want to catch him and give him a bath and brush his teeth before turning him loose in the woods away from here. We want to shampoo him and blow dry and style his hair! This is so hopefully he will be more attractive to a female possum and less likely to bother people, cats or dogs if he finds a lady possum to hang out with. We are assuming of course that out possum is a male because he looks like a male and comes right up to the door in the light and climbs the house.
Will the possum try to bite us if we give him a bath?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 07:35 PM

9,949 posts, read 22,170,356 times
Just try it and see. If you survive, report back here.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:20 PM

1,587 posts, read 6,689,770 times
Ok cannot be serious... Live trap let go or eat em.Possum pie may be good.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:10 AM

702 posts, read 2,245,748 times
Wash and style his hair? Brush his teeth? I don't think I would want to try any of these things with a wild animal. I think he will let you know what he thinks about your plan if you actually do trap him. Good luck!

Old 03-22-2008, 04:20 PM

452 posts, read 1,530,387 times
Be sure and check her pocket. She might be packin'

Old 03-22-2008, 06:05 PM

302 posts, read 1,316,537 times
ArkLexee has the right idea LOL heeheeheeheeheeheeeee..... Please, my belly hurts!!!... heeheeheehahahahahaaa.......

Old 03-22-2008, 06:37 PM

185 posts, read 889,556 times
No worry, as you are bathing your opossum he will simply play opossum during the entire procedure. Be kind to your opossum and do not submerge his head below water level and use water at room temperature. After brushing his teeth I find it easiest to rinse the creature’s mouth with a high pressure squirt gun for pinpoint accuracy. After trimming his nails, do NOT use fingernail polish. Some opossums are sensitive to the smell and will have sneezing fits. While this may be cute it’s uncomfortably embarrassing for them as they are supposed to be playing opossum after all.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcity View Post
No worry, as you are bathing your opossum he will simply play opossum during the entire procedure. Be kind to your opossum and do not submerge his head below water level and use water at room temperature. After brushing his teeth I find it easiest to rinse the creature’s mouth with a high pressure squirt gun for pinpoint accuracy. After trimming his nails, do NOT use fingernail polish. Some opossums are sensitive to the smell and will have sneezing fits. While this may be cute it’s uncomfortably embarrassing for them as they are supposed to be playing opossum after all.
No what we are gonna do is use the kitchen sink dish sprayer to shampoo and bathe him and brush his teeth. Is it OK to use Listerine for his mouthwash? I won't use fingernail polish but I might trim up the nails a bit.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidreemer View Post
Wash and style his hair? Brush his teeth? I don't think I would want to try any of these things with a wild animal. I think he will let you know what he thinks about your plan if you actually do trap him. Good luck!
This possum will be known world wide as the Awesome Possum after we post this on YouTube!

Old 03-22-2008, 06:54 PM

6,985 posts, read 15,476,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
We have a possum that visits our back deck often. I am going to buy a live trap and catch him. We want to catch him and give him a bath and brush his teeth before turning him loose in the woods away from here. We want to shampoo him and blow dry and style his hair! This is so hopefully he will be more attractive to a female possum and less likely to bother people, cats or dogs if he finds a lady possum to hang out with. We are assuming of course that out possum is a male because he looks like a male and comes right up to the door in the light and climbs the house.
Will the possum try to bite us if we give him a bath?
i swear, your posts are the absolute best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets