U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 02:30 AM

249 posts, read 116,380 times

Advertisements

I've spent almost an hour looking for information online about what kind of anesthesia is required by the AVMA for a cat when one broken tooth needs to be pulled. This isn't a cleaning also since her teeth are in no need of cleaning. It's a broken fang. I was told by a young lady who claimed to be a vet tech, that here in FL a veterinarian can have their license pulled unless a general gas anesthesia is used to pull even one tooth. That something like Ketamine can't be used anymore. It seems everything the AVMA comes up with complicates pet health care and adds to the cost.

Another thing she told me is that here in FL they (who is they?) only allow the 3-year rabies shot after 2 yearly shots. That makes zero sense to my husband and myself, and again, adds to the cost.

Does anyone now where I can find if these things are true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 05:41 AM

35,180 posts, read 10,387,152 times
It looks likes the pet vaccine protocol is enshrined in Florida state law:

https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/828.30

Old 02-08-2018, 07:47 AM

4,191 posts, read 1,540,445 times
Quote:
Another thing she told me is that here in FL they (who is they?) only allow the 3-year rabies shot after 2 yearly shots. That makes zero sense to my husband and myself, and again, adds to the cost.
Do your own research, OP. Every pet owner has an obligation to read up on any state and local laws that pertain to the type of pet they have. Rabies vaccine requirements tends to be a state law, not local.

https://www.avma.org/Advocacy/StateA...aw%20chart.pdf

Quote:
State - Florida

Citation - Fla. Stat. 828.30

Who May Administer Vaccination -
Licensed veterinarians

Specified Exemptions -
If a licensed veterinarian has determined that vaccination would endanger the animal’s health because of its age, infirmity, disability, illness or other medical consideration, the animal may be exempt from vaccination requirements.

****** Frequency of Vaccinations - Dogs, cats, and ferrets at 4 months of age, with a booster shot 12 months later. Thereafter, the intervals between vaccinations must comply with the label of the vaccine used. *******
Took me only minutes to look up that info.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Do your own research, OP. Every pet owner has an obligation to read up on any state and local laws that pertain to the type of pet they have. Rabies vaccine requirements tends to be a state law, not local.

https://www.avma.org/Advocacy/StateA...aw%20chart.pdf

Took me only minutes to look up that info.
Thank you.
Apparently you know where to look for answers. Where do I find the answer to the 1 st question about intubation and losing one's license for not using it to pull a broken tooth? That info is not on the sites mentioned.

Apparently there are no veterinary techs or veterinarians on this forum. I was hoping someone had the answer to the gas/tooth question.

Last edited by KatesKat; 02-08-2018 at 04:08 PM..

Old 02-08-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
It looks likes the pet vaccine protocol is enshrined in Florida state law:

https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/828.30
Thank you for the reply.
Do you know where I can find the answer to the 1 st question about intubation and losing one's license for not using it to pull a broken tooth? That is something I really want to find out. I can't believe the person was telling me the truth (they may have been misinformed) that control of such things was taken from Lic Veterinarians. That they can no longer use their own best judgement on removing a broken tooth.

As for the rabies vaccinations, I can see them being necessary but see no benefit in doing it a year apart meaning 2 yearly shots before the 3-year one can be used. Just my opinion on this from the research I've done about over-vaccination and the profits made by veterinarians on vaccines.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatesKat View Post
Thank you.
Apparently you know where to look for answers. Where do I find the answer to the 1 st question about intubation and losing one's license for not using it to pull a broken tooth? That info is not on the sites mentioned.

Apparently there are no veterinary techs or veterinarians on this forum. I was hoping someone had the answer to the gas/tooth question.

That I would not know. I'm in NY, for one (the website I posted was a summary of the rabies shot laws of all 50 states as published by the AVMA), and my vet doesn't use Ketamine. When my cat had her last cleaning/extraction, the anesthesia was listed on the bill as an inhalant.

I'm going to see him on Saturday for Shelly's wellness exam (and, ironically, her rabies booster). I could ask him about any possible reasons why a state VMA would choose to prohibit its usage.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatesKat View Post
Thank you for the reply.
Do you know where I can find the answer to the 1 st question about intubation and losing one's license for not using it to pull a broken tooth? That is something I really want to find out. I can't believe the person was telling me the truth (they may have been misinformed) that control of such things was taken from Lic Veterinarians. That they can no longer use their own best judgement on removing a broken tooth.

As for the rabies vaccinations, I can see them being necessary but see no benefit in doing it a year apart meaning 2 yearly shots before the 3-year one can be used. Just my opinion on this from the research I've done about over-vaccination and the profits made by veterinarians on vaccines.

I couldn't find anything about the loss of license. She might have just said that.

I noticed that, even in FL, there are facilities, apparently at odds with veterinary dental care standards, which don't use anesthesia for dental cleanings. For that, and for extractions, it would be dangerous IMO. Without the controlled unconsciousness that intubated anesthesia provides, the animal can move and sustain serious injury.

Interesting subject.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I couldn't find anything about the loss of license. She might have just said that.

I noticed that, even in FL, there are facilities, apparently at odds with veterinary dental care standards, which don't use anesthesia for dental cleanings. For that, and for extractions, it would be dangerous IMO. Without the controlled unconsciousness that intubated anesthesia provides, the animal can move and sustain serious injury.

Interesting subject.
That is very unethical for a variety of reasons. Animals don't know how to "hold still" for a cleaning, and not using sedation for extractions is just insane. My cat had her lower right canine removed, and they had to stitch up the gumline afterwards. Can't imagine doing that on a cat that is awake. My cat doesn't like people messing with her mouth, so that wouldn't have gone over too well. She's actually had 3 dental surgeries in 13 months, including two in 2015. 5 teeth total. I joke with her that she'll be toothless by the time she is 10. Last year she was all good, so I have my fingers crossed for her annual exam in two days.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
That is very unethical for a variety of reasons. Animals don't know how to "hold still" for a cleaning, and not using sedation for extractions is just insane. My cat had her lower right canine removed, and they had to stitch up the gumline afterwards. Can't imagine doing that on a cat that is awake. My cat doesn't like people messing with her mouth, so that wouldn't have gone over too well. She's actually had 3 dental surgeries in 13 months, including two in 2015. 5 teeth total. I joke with her that she'll be toothless by the time she is 10. Last year she was all good, so I have my fingers crossed for her annual exam in two days.

That's what I said.

But it appears that FL has a number of facilities that provide dental care without anesthesia. There are also some vets who do it. I saw where the AVMA changed their "guidelines" (that anesthesia be used) to a "mandate," but couldn't find a penalty to be assessed (i.e., revocation of license) for failure to do so.

I would never consider any type of dental procedure--extraction or prophylaxis--without intubated anesthesia. In addition, the tube allows for breathing assistance, if warranted.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
That I would not know. I'm in NY, for one (the website I posted was a summary of the rabies shot laws of all 50 states as published by the AVMA), and my vet doesn't use Ketamine. When my cat had her last cleaning/extraction, the anesthesia was listed on the bill as an inhalant.

I'm going to see him on Saturday for Shelly's wellness exam (and, ironically, her rabies booster). I could ask him about any possible reasons why a state VMA would choose to prohibit its usage.
When a cleaning is also needed all my past vets used gas and intubation because of the time involved. This is only an extraction of one broken tooth. Ketamine is still used here in FL this woman said so it makes no sense to me. General anesthesia is less safe than something like Ketamine and a lot less costly. Your vet may know if it's true that vets can lose their license for extracting a cat's broken fang using Ketamine or a similar drug or if intubation and gas was some kind of law.

What caught my attention with this was how the vets today keep finding ways to add cost to pet care. I'm a senior and know several other seniors from the Center who no longer have the companionship of a cat or dog because they can no longer afford their care. Others who participated in the conversation that day have pets but can't afford vet care or heart-worm prevention. The animals suffer. One thing most mentioned was the astronomical cost of flea and heart-worm treatments like Advantage and Revolution and the unnecessary yearly boosters. I was told years ago the cost of Revolution will come down when the patent runs out. That generics would also be available. That did not happen. So either the drug companies or the veterinarians are pocketing the excessive profit. DH and I order it from AU for half what our vet charges. Ivermectin and the other 'mectins are not expensive drugs - a veterinarian himself told me this but he and his wife were personal friends. Now I'm rambling on and on. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets