U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 03:55 PM

13,782 posts, read 18,694,469 times

Advertisements

my sister told me about drs foster and smith and I think I will start using them now and they are at least competitive to chewy and petsmart . actually I think they are cheaper than petsmart .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 06:08 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,054,515 times
To whoever repped me asking ?'s:

I just ordered from Chewy 3 weeks ago. I got my dog and cat food two days after ordering, I typically don't get my amazon prime stuff that quick. The dates on the food was just fine. I ordered another order last week for some vitamins and cat litter, got it in two days.

So no, I have no complaints on the present use of Chewy.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:02 AM

22,768 posts, read 19,210,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
You mean the one that went out of business when the third chain opened in town?

I really don't like Petsmart, but here they have a much bigger selection than Petco or Pet Value. Our original Pet Supplies Plus shut down a few weeks ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yep, that would have been the one. Keep it up America, before too long we're going to have just a few large retailers in each category with high prices, limited choices and lousy service.
I haven't seen an independent pet store since the late '90s/early 2000s. I sorely miss them. I wonder what all those independent owners did with all the critters they had?

I used Chewy and Drs. Foster and Smith after our local shop closed down. I used to have all kinds of animals/fish/rodents/birds. Now down to two lovies and I buy from the parrot rescue place now. A dollar or two more expensive than buying at PetSmart but I know where and how the money is used. Worth it.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:37 AM

676 posts, read 1,324,405 times
While I am sorry to hear that Petsmart now owns Chewys, I am not sorry that Chewys is collecting state sales tax. A number of state governments have been making noise about online companies that do not collect state sales tax, and I assume compliance will get stricter. It could be considered unfair competition against local stores who do collect the tax. Also, I notice my tax return (must have been state) had a place to declare owed tax for things bought online with no tax paid.
I assume tax is not collected for those states that do not have a sales tax. Does anyone know?

Old 05-03-2018, 01:03 PM

5,083 posts, read 5,351,459 times
I ordered a bag of dog food from Chewy last night at 6:43pm. It was delivered today at 12:46pm. I'm a satisfied customer.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:33 AM

10,222 posts, read 4,789,512 times
I've been seeing a lot of commercials for Chewy.com so I decided to check them out now that I have a cat and a dog. Their prices were actually higher than my local Pet Supermarket. Other than convenience for those who don't have time to make a special trip for pet supplies, I can't see any reason to use them.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:14 AM

1,767 posts, read 3,054,848 times
Just used Chewy for the first time--need plenty of supplies for my rabbit and guinea pigs at any given moment. I had a code they sent me for $15 off my first order of $49/more and free shipping. All of their prices were lower than supplies I can buy locally (everything is expensive here) which is why I order most of my supplies through Amazon. Their prices were comparable to Amazon, plus it was as if I was getting $15 in free merchandise--and fast, free shipping. Win/win. My order arrived in two days and was accurate. I'll be using them again .

Old 05-18-2018, 01:06 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,269,490 times
I've been ordering from Chewy for a few years and have never had any issues. My only complaint is the sales tax thing.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 288 times
Just logged in to say that it's a bummer about Chewy and it explains a lot for what's been happening! I live out in the country and sometimes Tractor Supply doesn't carry everything I need. I can get all my horse stuff just fine, but their dog selection can be a bit narrow. Because of that, I use online orders. I have Amazon (student email with Prime) and only switched over from Chewy, which I had been using for almost 2 years, about 6 months ago because my supposedly next day orders started taking longer -- not just a day or 2, but a weekish, and that wasn't on weekends or holidays. It happened 3 times, and I wrote complaints and was given promises, but it still happened, so I gave up, since I've got a 3 strikes and you're out rule for that sort of thing. It sucks, because I really liked the site. I've got 2 adopted senior GSD with arthritis, and Chewy usually carried huge bags of their grain-free food, as well as bigger bottles for lower prices of their supplements like salmon oil, glucosamine tablets, turmeric powder, etc.

I figure if I'm gonna spend $50+ bucks bimonthly, the least I could get was my accurate shipping speed promise. Prime sends stuff to me on Sundays/holidays, too, which Chewy could be iffy about sometimes. Maybe it's a rollout thing or something on being affected? lol I don't know, but it wasn't always like that...

Old 06-11-2018, 05:59 AM

16,085 posts, read 23,803,195 times
One of my cats are on Hills prescription diet, not all pet retailers can carry. Since starting the special diet I've ordered from Chewy at $8 less per case than Petsmart. I 'm expecting to see a price increase in the near future. Noticed several products on Chewy site are out of stock. There customer service has been awesome though. Was shipped the wrong litter box on an order, called to make them aware and the next day the correct litter box was at my front door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets