U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2018, 07:39 PM

1,386 posts, read 467,553 times

Advertisements

Vet came to the house. Hugged, kissed, and told Augie how much I always loved him and that he was my favorite. He peacefully fell asleep with me holding him, getting the love he always got. I wasn't right for a long time either, but it was the right thing to do. I also could NOT not be there. The thought of them wondering where I am is too much for me to even bear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 12:38 AM

1,293 posts, read 950,157 times
As I person who just scraped my dog off the road, I would be very happy and consoled if I was able to pat his shoulder while he was still alive and at peace, instead of letting him go alone, in the vet's office that never smells good to any animal.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:30 AM

1,386 posts, read 467,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
As I person who just scraped my dog off the road, I would be very happy and consoled if I was able to pat his shoulder while he was still alive and at peace, instead of letting him go alone, in the vet's office that never smells good to any animal.
I am so sorry

Old 09-14-2018, 06:57 AM

10,312 posts, read 4,881,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I never forgave them for making me take the dogs. That stare is with me for life, and the hole it drilled.

We had the best Shar-Pei in the world. Shadow was one of the first when they were being introduced to the USA. Even after he went blind from something called SARDS (Sudden Acquired Retinal Detachment Syndrome) he was a sweet dog even with our young sons. One day we noticed it looked like he may have fallen off the deck because his spine looked weird. We took him to the vet and he had lost about 30% of his body weight. Since it was gradual we hadn't noticed although he was having quite a bit of diarrhea which was unusual. We were both working and had two young sons so it somehow escaped us.

The vet thought it was intersusception (intestines telescoping into each other) or possibly cancer. I dropped him off on the way to work and he turned around and looked back at me (remember he was blind). I said "bye Shadow, see you later". However the vet called me at work from the surgery to tell me Shadow had cancer in his stomach and intestines. I asked if he could wake him up long enough for us to come and say good-bye and he said Shadow would be in terrible pain if they did that. That last look he gave me haunts me and it's been 27 years. I still can't talk about it or even write this without crying. I hope he is the first dog I see when I get to Heaven. I want to tell him I'm sorry we didn't pay attention to his symptoms earlier and that I loved him so much.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:26 AM

3,018 posts, read 4,874,864 times
My wife and I were there when my beloved Labrador was PTS. She had terminal cancer and hit the wall. It was by far the hardest decision I ever had to make. I am glad I was there with her until the end.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:31 AM

1,201 posts, read 422,241 times
That is chickensh*t! Nobody WANTS to be there but you do it FOR YOUR PET. I canít imag sending a dog off alone for that! Horrible. When Iíve had dogs that had to be euthanized, even a foster, I was right there with them, comforting and soothing them until they passed.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:31 AM

26,564 posts, read 63,014,599 times
Our vet has a special room for this purpose. It is decorated like a house and has outside air, toys, etc. We bring their blanket. It still scares them. The vet scares most animals and they hate the smell of the place. The one time I went, our dog was barely coherent anyway, she was in a great deal of pain. She was able to walk in, but barely.

The one that went badly, was a youngish dog. He developed a mental disorder that kept him constantly at the 6th of 7 stages of aggression. He woudl be sweet as pie and then suddenly randomly attack someone even people he knew and loved. After a year of trying to solve the problem, we decided it was just too dangerous to keep him alive. We could keep in inside/leashed/muzzles, but if he ever got out, he could easily kill someone he was 190 pounds.

We have always had very large dogs. They do not live very long (8-10 years if you are lucky). We have had to put down three dogs, a cat and a chicken (long story). It is hard.

For me the hardest pet loss was my Cockatoo Orville who was 30 years old. He was my buddy for most of my life. He died at home suddenly after surgery. I was away on a business trip. It would have been better for me if we had put him to sleep so I could say goodbye. My family stuck him in a bag and put him outside to freeze so I could see him before we buried him. It was awful. I think it might have been better if they hadn't, but I wish we would have known he would die from the surgery and could have put him to sleep gently rather than making him endure the surgery and then die anyway. He was miserable for the few days following the surgery.

I was lucky as a kid. Nearly all of our pets outlived my tenure at home. We had extremely long lived pets. (My favorite cat "Fred" lived to be 22).

I think it is especially hard on kids. Our first family dog was much beloved. He was the most awesome dog ever and still the best we have had or met. He had a giant tumor and could not stand up. We knew we would have to put him down. One day my wife decided to have the vet come to our house and put him to sleep while everyone was away. She thought it would be easier on everyone. She had me come home early to help the vet assistants load him into their van before the kids got home (he weight 210). The kids were furious they were not told and did not get to say a last goodbye. It took them a year to forgive her. Just FYI, that is a bad choice. Seemed like it might be better for them to just have him gone when they got home, but it was not.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 09-14-2018 at 07:42 AM..

Old 09-14-2018, 07:42 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,445,460 times
I've had 20 dogs in my life and obviously had to put some down. I also volunteered 5 years at a kill shelter. It's the most difficult thing i've ever done in my life, but I always hold my dog as the vet injects. I can't imagine being abandoned at the moment of death. I think it is cowardly and selfish not to stay with your beloved friend until the end.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:25 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,923,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Our vet has a special room for this purpose. It is decorated like a house and has outside air, toys, etc. We bring their blanket. It still scares them. The vet scares most animals and they hate the smell of the place. The one time I went, our dog was barely coherent anyway, she was in a great deal of pain. She was able to walk in, but barely.

The one that went badly, was a youngish dog. He developed a mental disorder that kept him constantly at the 6th of 7 stages of aggression. He woudl be sweet as pie and then suddenly randomly attack someone even people he knew and loved. After a year of trying to solve the problem, we decided it was just too dangerous to keep him alive. We could keep in inside/leashed/muzzles, but if he ever got out, he could easily kill someone he was 190 pounds.

We have always had very large dogs. They do not live very long (8-10 years if you are lucky). We have had to put down three dogs, a cat and a chicken (long story). It is hard.

For me the hardest pet loss was my Cockatoo Orville who was 30 years old. He was my buddy for most of my life. He died at home suddenly after surgery. I was away on a business trip. It would have been better for me if we had put him to sleep so I could say goodbye. My family stuck him in a bag and put him outside to freeze so I could see him before we buried him. It was awful. I think it might have been better if they hadn't, but I wish we would have known he would die from the surgery and could have put him to sleep gently rather than making him endure the surgery and then die anyway. He was miserable for the few days following the surgery.

I was lucky as a kid. Nearly all of our pets outlived my tenure at home. We had extremely long lived pets. (My favorite cat "Fred" lived to be 22).

I think it is especially hard on kids. Our first family dog was much beloved. He was the most awesome dog ever and still the best we have had or met. He had a giant tumor and could not stand up. We knew we would have to put him down. One day my wife decided to have the vet come to our house and put him to sleep while everyone was away. She thought it would be easier on everyone. She had me come home early to help the vet assistants load him into their van before the kids got home (he weight 210).

The kids were furious they were not told and did not get to say a last goodbye. It took them a year to forgive her. Just FYI, that is a bad choice. Seemed like it might be better for them to just have him gone when they got home, but it was not.
This happened to me as a kid...our first dog. I was devastated and didn't speak to my dad for weeks.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:18 AM

1,770 posts, read 571,378 times
We’ve always been there with ours. We’ve also arranged for it to be done at home whenever possible. Sometimes though, because it was an emergency visit, they’re already there but we are always with them, holding them. It hurts like hell but we owe them that. Also, imagine that feeling of knowing something is really bad wrong but not understanding it and then being abandoned in your final moments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or