U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-22-2018, 11:09 AM
 
5,452 posts, read 2,294,635 times
Reputation: 16438

Advertisements

It is weakness, regardless of how one justifies it. When I had our old family dog euthanized, it was incredibly painful to endure. But I stayed with her because she needed a trusted presence in a scary and confusing situation. The needle went in and, in moments, it was over. I wanted to cry, but I also know that I did the right thing.

So many people liken their pets to children. Would you leave your child to die if he or she had a terminal illness? Same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2018, 02:18 AM
 
Location: Clarence, NY
531 posts, read 190,617 times
Reputation: 645
I've seen horses being put down by euthanasia , and frankly I can understand the reason as to why some fellow horse owners don't want to see it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2018, 03:08 AM
 
533 posts, read 249,457 times
Reputation: 2150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeligman View Post
I've seen horses being put down by euthanasia , and frankly I can understand the reason as to why some fellow horse owners don't want to see it
My husband had to stay with our horses when they were put down as I knew I would not be able to handle it.

With our dogs, I've had the vet come out to the car in the parking lot. Less traumatic for the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2018, 03:53 AM
 
Location: Clarence, NY
531 posts, read 190,617 times
Reputation: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
My husband had to stay with our horses when they were put down as I knew I would not be able to handle it.

With our dogs, I've had the vet come out to the car in the parking lot. Less traumatic for the dog.
When I was little, I had a connemara that was having issues and needed to be put down. I asked my parents if I could be there to comfort him, and they didnt like it being asked but gave into it as they probably realized that I wanted to be with him, and curious at the same time. The vet asked me "Do you really want to see this?" I said yeah, and I saw it. I now try to be with them up until the last minute, but after that I'll walk away from the sight of it as its too much.

In my area, there's a group for dogs and cats that can come to your home and do it in an area in which they're more comfortable. seems like a good idea

Last edited by annoyingmagpie; 10-23-2018 at 03:54 AM.. Reason: Added more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2018, 01:27 PM
 
96 posts, read 66,286 times
Reputation: 103
It's such a difficult decision to make. You don't want your dog's last moments to be with a stranger but it's gonna be so hard to see it in person. Def tough choice to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2018, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,937 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Reputation: 41745
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
An article on Dailymail.com quoted a "tired, broken-hearted vet" in South Africa as saying most people don't understand that if they do not stay with their pet during euthanasia, the pet ends up frightened and looking around desperately for their owner as they are euthanized.

Broke my heart. Vets say it is the responsibility of the owner to be there. I agree...it's hard but our last responsibility to our beloved pet.
I have such mixed feelings on this. I did go with my daughter when she had her kitty put to sleep many years ago. But haven't been able to do it with any of our animals. We are facing a situation right now with our doggy. We are considering letting her go to heaven and decided a few months ago, when the time was right we would be with her. Now I am not so sure. I am just hoping we do not have to face this for awhile but am afraid I am living in a dream world to think the time hasn't quite come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2018, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,093 posts, read 5,888,275 times
Reputation: 30347
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have such mixed feelings on this. I did go with my daughter when she had her kitty put to sleep many years ago. But haven't been able to do it with any of our animals. We are facing a situation right now with our doggy. We are considering letting her go to heaven and decided a few months ago, when the time was right we would be with her. Now I am not so sure. I am just hoping we do not have to face this for awhile but am afraid I am living in a dream world to think the time hasn't quite come.

Are you able emotionally to think of your pet first? I mean, your pet seeing you during the procedure as opposed to seeing the vet and unknown people during the last few minutes? It's certainly understandable if you aren't able to do that....

but if you could think of your pet instead of yourself during the very quick procedure, it would likely ease the
pet's transition, seeing you last.

I always feel my pets "tell me" when it's time.....if they have difficulty with daily living, any pain whatsoever, or are just so elderly that they can't function, then perhaps its time. We can't keep them around just for us...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2018, 12:00 PM
 
Location: North America
19,634 posts, read 12,436,329 times
Reputation: 8282
I was fortunate with my dogs. They drifted off peacefully. Not so with one of my cats. The tranquilizer they gave her before the final shot caused spasms and made her gasp for air. It was horrible.

It's up to the pet owner whether to be there or not. I'm not going to judge anyone. It's not an easy thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2018, 04:04 PM
 
255 posts, read 70,727 times
Reputation: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
It is weakness, regardless of how one justifies it. When I had our old family dog euthanized, it was incredibly painful to endure. But I stayed with her because she needed a trusted presence in a scary and confusing situation. The needle went in and, in moments, it was over. I wanted to cry, but I also know that I did the right thing.

So many people liken their pets to children. Would you leave your child to die if he or she had a terminal illness? Same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2018, 01:32 PM
 
379 posts, read 85,464 times
Reputation: 742
I'm going to have to make this decision very soon. Best thing would be, she dies in her sleep and I wake up one morning and she never wakes up again. Don't know how I'm going to handle it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top