U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 08:27 AM

22,848 posts, read 19,282,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
An alternative is,of course, having the vet come to the house.

Would that make those people who don't want to be present be more amenable to being present I wonder?
I had to have the vet come out to the house with my last dog I had to put to sleep because he had had a stroke and lost the use of his hind quarters and I couldn't lift him. He was an American Eskimo. Medium sized dog but too heavy for me and hubby had died just the year before so I had no help. I just can't imagine leaving them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 08:35 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,877,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I had to have the vet come out to the house with my last dog I had to put to sleep because he had had a stroke and lost the use of his hind quarters and I couldn't lift him. He was an American Eskimo. Medium sized dog but too heavy for me and hubby had died just the year before so I had no help. I just can't imagine leaving them.
People who leave them....whether they know it or not, aren't fulfilling the last duty of a pet owner.
A vet office trip is frightening to most of them and then they are left by owners when they are most vulnerable...

Old 06-07-2019, 11:18 AM

13,751 posts, read 12,709,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
An alternative is,of course, having the vet come to the house.

Would that make those people who don't want to be present be more amenable to being present I wonder?
I had my cat euthanized at home. She died in my arms in familiar surroundings. Sure, it costs more money than taking them into the vet to be euthanized, but I wouldn't have had it any other way. I'm glad I was able to do that for her. I was crazy about my cat and I feel like I handled her death pretty well overall, so maybe having her euthanized at home was also helpful to me.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:10 AM

6,184 posts, read 12,613,486 times
Not ever would I let a beloved pet die alone with strangers. I don't want to hear "not everyone can handle it". The animal gave you unconditional love for x years. Be there for them at the end.

And don't leave them suffering for days at home with the excuse you want them to "die peacefully on their own". Just pure selfishness and cruelty to do that.

Or worse, that you're "not ready to let them go yet". It's not about YOU.

Do the right thing.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:13 PM

6,185 posts, read 6,355,356 times
How does the dog or cat or turtle even know it is being euthanized? Dont they inject with anesthesia, make pet fall asleep, and then chemicals? Dont tell the whole process is extremely painful.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:57 PM

22,848 posts, read 19,282,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
How does the dog or cat or turtle even know it is being euthanized? Dont they inject with anesthesia, make pet fall asleep, and then chemicals? Dont tell the whole process is extremely painful.
No, I don't think the pet KNOWS what is about to happen. They are just scared/nervous to be at the vet because nothing GOOD happens at the vet any time they go! Plus you have an owner like me who can't control her crying so my pet knows something is definitely wrong. I can't help myself.

I assume all vets do the same thing.....put the needle in one of the hind legs, inject, pet's heart is usually stopped by the time the vet removes the needle. It's that quick. No pain, just like if you have ever had anesthesia, awake one second, the next you are waking up. Except they don't wake up.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:14 PM

1,823 posts, read 780,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
No it is not painful. We put my dog down after 17 years and 4 years of dog dementia. They took him to the back room and inserted a catheter much like you have done if you are going in for any medical procedure. They brought him back to us where we were given the opportunity to say goodby then the vet came into the room and administered a calming drug followed by the drug that would euthanize him. After the first drug his heart started to calm down a bit then the second drug and it slowed to a stop. There is no pain for the dog but I can't say there wasn't pain for my husband and I. I could not imagine not being there but I know my friend when the time comes won't be able to so we will do it for her unless like my first dog he dies naturally.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:10 PM

5,154 posts, read 8,684,984 times
Smile Stay with your faithful friend!!! Always!!!

I found a company that comes to your home. DM me for the name - they are nationwide.

Caring, loving, all done right there.

It was very beneficial to our surviving dog who sniffed him and walked away. They know, they really do.

Also, our guy told us it was time. I did not think I would know but we knew.

His name was Murphy, almost the size of a Collie but he was a tri-Sheltie.

RIP Murph 04/04/2001 to 02/18/2013. We think about you every day, buddy.

You were one of the best ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or