U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2018, 09:02 AM

1,443 posts, read 641,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
You just don’t get it my friend.
You're right - I didn't get the pros and cons of being there. No one explained anything about the dog needing comforting. They just said it was a peaceful process and that seemed good enough. I figured I wanted my last memory to be of her alive. Regardless, it's not my purpose in life to judge others including other pet owners. We all take the limited information we have and make what we think is the right decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 09:07 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,877,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
It's nothing like a funeral. The purpose of a funeral is to honor a life that has already ended. The purpose euthanasia is to kill an individual. It would be more like wanting to make sure you are there to see a fatal car accident, though that too is a poor analogy since there is lethal intent only in the pet case. There is no perfect analogy.

Many years ago I opted not to be there.

I believe I would be there now

that I've read this thread but I don't need to vilify those who aren't and won't be asking for a trophy when I am there.

Wow....if the thread helped a bit to change your mind, great.

It's still a choice each person must decide on their own...and we shouldn't be judgemental about decisions made...

Old 09-13-2018, 09:40 AM
Status: "Summer's here! Is it fall yet??" (set 15 days ago)

1,770 posts, read 3,066,687 times
I've read every single post on here, and this has been one of the most moving and emotional threads I've read and participated in on CD. Not sure if everyone else has had the same experience, but I find losing a beloved pet (whether through natural death or euthanasia) gets harder and harder the older I get. I suppose there are many different reasons for this depending on the person.

My husband and I are both in our mid forties, and we cried for days and just felt our house was no longer a home when our beloved rabbit of ten years passed last year. My husband has worked for twenty years at a really crazy job in law enforcement, a job where you cannot show emotion or you will not last. Nonetheless, he cried endlessly when our rabbit died and I have never seen him in so much pain. He loved petting our sweet girl before he left for work and when he came home she always greeted him. He said she made his very difficult job that much more bearable, and when she passed he could barely get himself off to work anymore. It took me a very long time to get over her death, and quite honestly I am still not over it. I was much more resilient as a child when it came to pet deaths (and there were many), but now the pain is just so deep. I currently have another adorable rabbit and two guinea pigs, and I would be lost without them. I couldn't imagine our life without pets in it though, and thankfully my husband feels the same. We never had kids together and they are like our babies.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I've read every single post on here, and this has been one of the most moving and emotional threads I've read and participated in on CD. Not sure if everyone else has had the same experience, but I find losing a beloved pet (whether through natural death or euthanasia) gets harder and harder the older I get. I suppose there are many different reasons for this depending on the person.

My husband and I are both in our mid forties, and we cried for days and just felt our house was no longer a home when our beloved rabbit of ten years passed last year. My husband has worked for twenty years at a really crazy job in law enforcement, a job where you cannot show emotion or you will not last. Nonetheless, he cried endlessly when our rabbit died and I have never seen him in so much pain. He loved petting our sweet girl before he left for work and when he came home she always greeted him. He said she made his very difficult job that much more bearable, and when she passed he could barely get himself off to work anymore. It took me a very long time to get over her death, and quite honestly I am still not over it. I was much more resilient as a child when it came to pet deaths (and there were many), but now the pain is just so deep. I currently have another adorable rabbit and two guinea pigs, and I would be lost without them. I couldn't imagine our life without pets in it though, and thankfully my husband feels the same. We never had kids together and they are like our babies.

Wonderful post....so many of us feel like you and your husband do about our pets.

Like you, I'm childless and now divorced so my 3 cats are all I have...
at least it feels that way.

They are the joy of my life. It's the most crushing of blows when we must let them go.

Maybe the thread will keep going to comfort us all as we go through the letting go that we know must happen...

Old 09-13-2018, 09:57 AM

1,932 posts, read 346,965 times
If there really is a Rainbow Bridge, I wish it had visiting hours.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
Oh, me too!!

Old 09-13-2018, 11:37 AM

14,364 posts, read 7,911,249 times
ALL of my pets that were euthanized were sedated and fell asleep in my arms before they were taken away. I lost my precious boy Howie in March. I fed him before the procedure because food was one of his best quality of life issues. He sat on my lap for the ride to the vet and enjoyed it. He fell asleep in my arms and I held him until I was ready to let go. I put him on the table and I'm sure he was gone before I left the vet. I couldn't watch him die. It was by far more traumatic for me then it was for him.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:45 AM

13,408 posts, read 6,681,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
You're right - I didn't get the pros and cons of being there. No one explained anything about the dog needing comforting. They just said it was a peaceful process and that seemed good enough. I figured I wanted my last memory to be of her alive. Regardless, it's not my purpose in life to judge others including other pet owners. We all take the limited information we have and make what we think is the right decision.
And that's ok.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:44 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,750,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Maybe because our own "use by" date is creeping up on us. Seriously though I think, at ETA: I think..., I think, how did I leave that hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
Maybe it does, who knows they may even have a Rainbow Bridge for us pet owners and all our past pets all together. I suppose (really, really hope) that may be the case. We'll find out when we "get there" but I don't think we'll be able to report back on "our findings".

In my case I worry about my passing away and who will take my dogs if I should "go" before them; that IS my biggest fear.

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 09-13-2018 at 01:35 PM..

Old 09-13-2018, 12:45 PM

55,634 posts, read 74,577,828 times
Vet made me hold my cat while he did it -I went nuts
Not right in the head for 2 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or