Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2018, 07:17 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times

Advertisements

T'is the season and I'm feeling rather "nostalgic" here at the ranch. The country side is beautiful and maybe my change to the day shift is playing part of it, too. Yesterday, I saw someone driving home with their tree.

But are Christmas trees and cats compatible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 07:29 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
T'is the season and I'm feeling rather "nostalgic" here at the ranch. The country side is beautiful and maybe my change to the day shift is playing part of it, too. Yesterday, I saw someone driving home with their tree.

But are Christmas trees and cats compatible?

Depends on the cats! At one time I had five adult cats and none of them had any interest in the tree. Then I got a kitten who was hell on wheels and I KNEW it would be a daily fight with her so, no tree. lol

Old 11-24-2018, 07:53 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Some ignore it and others, well...

I had one kitten that knocked off every ornament on the lower level of branches. Learned quickly just to use safe fabric coated ornaments, definitely no glass...

He adopted one ornament as his favorite toy for the rest of his life.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:00 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Two pairs of brother and sisters, one adopted stray.

The older brother and sister are 14. Izzy spends most of the time in her cave except she does come out at night or at least, when I was on night shift. Gizzy has gotten very territorial in his older years and, I guess, might spray the tree.

Melas is the adopted stray, a caught and release. She's my lap kitty.

Kara and Dirk are the new kittens, rescued from the wild, and they just got fixed. They are the wild ones, Kara climbs me, and right now, their Elizabethian collars of shame may be the only thing that slows them down......but Kara climbs to the moon.

It may, if it is to be, just be a tree, very few ornaments. Of the few ornaments I inherited, most are unicorns and most are in the curio cabinets.

So how have others handled bringing a new tree into the house?

Old 11-24-2018, 10:00 AM

922 posts, read 791,364 times
I have had cats that ignored the tree, and cats that would knock them over, remove the ornaments. and eat the icicles. I have been lucky to never have had a climber. I stopped putting the icicles on years ago because they will inevitably be eaten, and can cause serious problems for the cat. One year, I had to actually tie the tree to a table to keep it upright.

Right now, we have six cats. Three of them are still very young (my husband found them under our truck) and one of them in particular is a demon that messes with anything and everything, is fearless, and just plain evil. This year, we put up our small white artificial tree that is pre-lighted. There are no ornaments on it, so they pretty much leave it alone except for one kitty that likes to pretend she is a gift under the tree. It's still pretty to look at and my ornaments are safe. Maybe next year we can try the ornaments when the kittens are older.

I think it just depends on the cat, honestly.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:34 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
Real trees aren't worth the risk. IMHO

https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/un...ristmas-trees/

Old 12-07-2018, 09:26 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
If it was my older cats, now gone to the Mother, then I'd say it would be more the individual. The cats I had when I was out in California either avoided the tree entirely or thought it was cat extacy. Knocking over shiny things like shiny glass balls was the best, and seemed to rouse the house. Mom bought some cheap ones and kept the ones saved from her mom safely stored.

I never had problems with ordiments with my guys, but they were sure you brought in a great new climbing toy. Mostly they climbed up the middle and found a branch which held them and DARED the others. Broken ordiments, and tinsel was everywhere. I trimmed off the branches after the holiday so they'd be heavier, and left it in the corner and it was the very best toy ever. Just don't put it to where its an easy place to land on the dvr or the tv or the other toys which have sparkly lights.

My two kittens, I'm sure would be sitting just under the top batting at each other to see who got to climb to the top and win the game.

But generally speaking, if your tree stuff is cherished old family stuff, put the tree or the cats behind a see thru door. It's like staggerd book shelves, put just there so they have an easy way to reach the ceiling or some shelf with lots of things to fall.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:41 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
I bought a half-circle artificial tree that hangs on the wall out of the reach of my dogs and cats. It came with lights but I put my own ornaments on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets