U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 02:24 PM

1,437 posts, read 523,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
Owners who surrender pets for the sake of convenience . . . so they can go on vacation or for family get togethers without springing for a pet sitter ---&/or--- so they can replace them with a younger or prettier version . . . should not be allowed to have any more animals. ALSO, before AC / shelters take in animals from such owners, the owners should be required to watch & listen to a real-life audio-video of what happens to the majority of such surrendered dogs, in the killing rooms. Not just a few minutes, but three hours long minimum, with them being required to fill out a report afterwards about what they saw happening throughout . . . & how they felt watching it . . . & now feel about abandoning their pet/s.
Yes, what a great idea! It would wake some people up for sure, others are sociopaths who have no empathy to begin with and wouldnít get it.

I canít imagine leaving one of my dogs at a shelter, Iíd be sick with worry about what was happening to them and what kind of person they ended up going home with, or alone and being put to death. Just because a dog or cat gets adopted is no guarantee of a good home, public shelters do little screening, certainly no home visits. The type of person who leaves their pet behind and walks away without a second thought is hard to comprehend.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:29 PM

7,191 posts, read 12,581,379 times
This thread breaks my heart ... and that is all I can say ...

Old 12-09-2018, 02:31 PM

1,767 posts, read 3,054,163 times
The way we treat animals ultimately reflects back on the way we treat humans. I have seen this proven true time and time again.

“The indifference, callousness and contempt that so many people exhibit toward animals is evil first because it results in great suffering in animals, and second because it results in an incalculably great impoverishment of the human spirit.”
--Albert Einstein

Old 12-09-2018, 03:04 PM

1,616 posts, read 944,289 times
We have two dogs and a cat. They were not rescued from a shelter but found on Craigslist. The standard poodle got too big and the Pudelpointer stayed in a crate all day. The cat was given away in front of a grocery store. They are our special friends. I could not imagine lif3 without them. Our daughter was always raised with animals. She is a kind animal lover today.

I do not understand irresponsible people who have such little attachment to their pets that they would surrender. We have quite a few rescue groups in our area. I try to buy from their wish list on Amazon.

Bless all of you who are caring.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:10 PM

2,842 posts, read 967,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
We have two dogs and a cat. They were not rescued from a shelter but found on Craigslist. The standard poodle got too big and the Pudelpointer stayed in a crate all day. The cat was given away in front of a grocery store. They are our special friends. I could not imagine lif3 without them. Our daughter was always raised with animals. She is a kind animal lover today.

I do not understand irresponsible people who have such little attachment to their pets that they would surrender. We have quite a few rescue groups in our area. I try to buy from their wish list on Amazon.

Bless all of you who are caring.
Detachment Disorder, if not psychopathy is probably why people do this. Dogs and cats can be especially close to humans. I feel this same way about cows and pigs, ducks and chickens, fish--all of whom have been found to be individuals who have the capacity to love and to feel and to suffer.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:39 PM

1,616 posts, read 944,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Detachment Disorder, if not psychopathy is probably why people do this. Dogs and cats can be especially close to humans. I feel this same way about cows and pigs, ducks and chickens, fish--all of whom have been found to be individuals who have the capacity to love and to feel and to suffer.
I am a vegetarian, too. Just canít eat another living animal.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:57 PM

4,435 posts, read 3,289,632 times
Getting a dog from a rescue or shelter, or an emergency re-homing via Craigslist or similar, is a great thing to do. I've adopted most of my dogs that way. If someone's looking for a companion animal, I think it's the right way to go in the large majority of cases.

I do think there are good reasons to purchase from a responsible breeder, though - not a puppy mill or pet store, or backyard breeder hack, but someone who is producing healthy, temperamentally sound animals bred for a purpose, of breeds/types the market isn't saturated with. For example, where I live, if you needed a large hypoallergenic(ish) dog as a service animal, you'd be very hard-pressed to find candidates through rescue or shelters.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:22 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,915,360 times
Knowing and thinking about this issue just breaks my heart... heck, I don't even like to leave my pets behind for a short vacation!! That's why I bring my dog whenever possible, and have a friend stay with him/them if I cannot. I couldn't bring the dog to L.A. for Thanksgiving this year (staying at a no-pets AirBnB with my siblings), and literally went home early because I missed Rudy too much! So anyone who could dump their animals like this has no heart, and clearly never bonded with them in the first place. Sadly, the dogs likely DID bond with their humans and will suffer much more at the loss.

Disclaimer: I am only referring to those who DUMP a pet without good reason, like the old "I'm moving" or "too busy," etc. Of course there are some situations where it's understandable (e.g. serious/terminal illness), but usually they're the ones who contact private rescues or family members to help instead. Rarely are they the ones leaving theirs at the pound.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:33 PM

13,781 posts, read 18,690,385 times
Yes there was a lady at our church who passed on and her daughter and son in law took in her chihuahua /pomerainian dog and they said oh no we are not keeping her we are taking her to a shelter and I spoke up and said Oh no you cant , please let me have her and they did. They brought her to me right after church like they could not wait to be rid of her and she is the sweetest little thing . Why just tonight I fed a neighbors(these neighbors act like they are running a used car lot ) cat because they were too lazy to come home and feed it and it is cold outside and wet . I hope he found a warm and dry place to sleep at least I know he has a full belly . People really suck sometimes .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets