Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 09:23 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,881,595 times

Advertisements

This is a photo posted by animal services. The dogs you see in this photo are owner surrenders as people prepare for the holidays. This particular shelter in Miami has over 500 animals and no available runs. The dogs were tied up as they came in until something could be figured out for them.

I share this because every single shelter experiences something similar during this time of year. Shelters are overflowing with owner surrenders as people go on vacation AND with the people who surrender their animals because they are getting a new puppy or kitten for the holidays.

You might think...don’t be so dramatic. But, this is a REAL problem! Adopting a pet is adopting a life. So when you think about buying a dog, take a stroll through your local shelter before making that decision. Millions of animals will die this year because their owners were irresponsible. Many of those could be saved if people would stop buying from pet stores and irresponsible breeders!!!!

Please do everything you can to convince your friends and family to rescue from a rescue organization or from a local shelter.

Most of the dogs that you see in this photo will sadly never make it out alive. Don’t be sorry, do something. Adopt, Foster, Sponsor, Volunteer, Donate, Educate.

Owner surrender at holidays-47430895_10216982056679010_7424031213733543936_n.jpg

Old 12-09-2018, 09:32 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,734,965 times
I want to make sure I understand this. These are dogs surrendered (taken to a pound) by their OWNERS before the holidays?

WTH?? What in the HELL? What are they thinking? What?

A few months ago, I had a terrifying health diagnosis (and now I am fine) but during the worst of it, I gave my dog to a friend to take care of while I was at the hospital, and made arrangements for the dog in case of my demise, but I have a feeling that this scenario doesn't represent the majority of these cases.

Help me understand. Why are people doing this?

Teddy and I are feeling pretty upset about this.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I want to make sure I understand this. These are dogs surrendered (taken to a pound) by their OWNERS before the holidays?

WTH?? What in the HELL? What are they thinking? What?

A few months ago, I had a terrifying health diagnosis (and now I am fine) but during the worst of it, I gave my dog to a friend to take care of while I was at the hospital, and made arrangements for the dog in case of my demise, but I have a feeling that this scenario doesn't represent the majority of these cases.

Help me understand. Why are people doing this?

Teddy and I are feeling pretty upset about this.

I'm glad you're fine now, Rosemary. Teddy is beautiful!!

Yes, this was on my Facebook page this morning, posted by a pianist professor. Apparently, there are a lot of owner surrenders during the holidays. I wasn't aware this occurs. Hard to understand how people could give up their child so callously. A pet dog or cat is like a child; they love us and depend on us, and look to us for affection and protection. All those little broken hearts, waiting for mom or dad to come and pick them up but being abandoned instead.

My cat talks to me, actually says "mom" to me. He goes where I go and only death would separate us. One has to wonder, it people give up their pets so heartlessly, how must they treat humans.

Why do people do this? Lack of empathy. I think it's psychotic.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 12-09-2018 at 09:52 AM..

Old 12-09-2018, 09:59 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,895,856 times
I don't understand it either. I would NEVER abandon or give up my pets. I even have plans for them if I was to pass or fall ill (not that I plan on doing that anytime soon!). My rabbit and guinea pigs will never see a shelter. My rabbit is a rescue from a hoarding situation and a few months at a rescue before I adopted her is more than she should ever know.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I don't understand it either. I would NEVER abandon or give up my pets. I even have plans for them if I was to pass or fall ill (not that I plan on doing that anytime soon!). My rabbit and guinea pigs will never see a shelter. My rabbit is a rescue from a hoarding situation and a few months at a rescue before I adopted her is more than she should ever know.
I know! I replaced a stove in the kitchen and disturbed the mice who were living behind the old stove. I was also inadvertently feeding them by leaving cat food out at night. I'm no longer doing that and things have gotten back to normal, but all the bloodthirsty people wanted me to murder the mice, suggesting various means of killing them all.

My response has been to clean and scrub the rooms, store all foods carefully, and leave them alone. They're not hurting me!

Human beings are killers.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:15 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,165,784 times
There are those of us who have our dogs in our wills and then there is the rest of humanity I'd wipe off the bottom of my shoe.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:54 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,867,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There are those of us who have our dogs in our wills and then there is the rest of humanity I'd wipe off the bottom of my shoe.
YES! I think I love you.

I've been in dog rescue since the early 80s.

The OP is sadly, VERY COMMON. Summer is another big ditch the pets/flood the shelters season.

Yet greedy folks STILL keep breeding...people still keep buying from breeders...

I wish everyone who bought from a breeder spent just a DAY, just a few HOURS even, in a kill room at a shelter. If they can still purchase a dog after that then OK, go ahead.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:38 AM

8,857 posts, read 5,334,972 times
Don't forget another popular surrender time .... right after the holidays.

You know, when you find out that that cute puppy or kitten that was so adorable under your Christmas tree is a lot of work, and the kids who promised to do it don't.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:53 PM

837 posts, read 760,844 times
Owners who surrender pets for the sake of convenience . . . so they can go on vacation or for family get togethers without springing for a pet sitter ---&/or--- so they can replace them with a younger or prettier version . . . should not be allowed to have any more animals. ALSO, before AC / shelters take in animals from such owners, the owners should be required to watch & listen to a real-life audio-video of what happens to the majority of such surrendered dogs, in the killing rooms. Not just a few minutes, but three hours long minimum, with them being required to fill out a report afterwards about what they saw happening throughout . . . & how they felt watching it . . . & now feel about abandoning their pet/s.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:57 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,867,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
Owners who surrender pets for the sake of convenience . . . so they can go on vacation or for family get togethers without springing for a pet sitter ---&/or--- so they can replace them with a younger or prettier version . . . should not be allowed to have any more animals. ALSO, before AC / shelters take in animals from such owners, the owners should be required to watch & listen to a real-life audio-video of what happens to the majority of such surrendered dogs, in the killing rooms. Not just a few minutes, but three hours long minimum, with them being required to fill out a report afterwards about what they saw happening throughout . . . & how they felt watching it . . . & now feel about abandoning their pet/s.
YESYESYES. Ditto should be a requirement as I stated above, for all who wish to purchase from breeder/pet store.

Video at the very least but standing in the corner in the euth room even better. PUPPIES killed, all breeds, all ages. Some states worse than others, Texas is especially bad.

Anyone who can watch a happy, healthy dog get walked to its death as happens in STAGGERING NUMBERS, staggering numbers not a few here and there odd cases and then justify breeding is ...I can't say it politely. I can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets