Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 03:52 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
Sheltering Hands here in Ocala has a program to place senior cats with senior adults. They pay for the cat's medical bills and guarantee they will take it back if the person is no longer able to care for it, like if they go into a nursing home, or if the person dies. More rescues should have such a program as it's very difficult to find a home for an older cat.
I have seen similar programs for both dogs and cats, and I think they are awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 04:01 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Yes, they do have the right to decide if a particular home is suitable for one of their little fur friends. It is the only responsible way to handle it.

I am a confirmed animal lover, especially cats. I have two at home and one who was a stray but she now lives in my shop office. They are like my children, they ask so little and give so much. That being said, I am now 73, and should I pass I worry about what will happen to them. My sons would step up, of course, they love animals too, but my little guys have become accustomed to me being there every day.

Lucky is now 11 and getting older, Daisy is about 8, and Mama Kitty is about 8 also. If one of them passes, I will not get another cat. At 73, I do not want to die before they might, and leave them. It is simply the responsible thing to do.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:42 PM

19,822 posts, read 12,086,768 times
The woman in the article is 79 years old and wanted a kitten. That is very selfish on her part as it is likely the kitten would outlive her or she will end up in a nursing home within a few years and then there is a full grown cat, no longer a cute kitten, which will likely be pts for lack of a home. Unfortunately, the woman had her granddaughter adopt the kitten and turned around and gave her to grandma.

For several years now I have been very active with a local rescue. We are open to unique situations and have no problem with apartments, no fence, etc. but we do try to match ages appropriately. The 79 year old lady would be welcome to adopt one of our senior dogs but definitely not a puppy. People need to understand they are sentient beings and not toys or possessions. Taking a kitten or puppy at 80 y/o because you want it and have no self discipline only to leave it homeless a couple of years later is selfish and definitely not providing a good home. As well, if there was a dog who was expected to need thousands of dollars worth of future surgeries or had an expensive medical condition, I would try to match it to a home with the financial means to care for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
Sheltering Hands here in Ocala has a program to place senior cats with senior adults. They pay for the cat's medical bills and guarantee they will take it back if the person is no longer able to care for it, like if they go into a nursing home, or if the person dies. More rescues should have such a program as it's very difficult to find a home for an older cat.
My rescue is an hour or so South of there and has a couple dozen “forever” fosters at any given time that have medical conditions or are too old for people to want to adopt. We are known for taking in dogs that require extensive vetting and are on their last day at the public shelters. My second foster with them arrived from a Miami shelter with an enormous, erupting tumor and was immediately whisked into surgery at our vet’s office. She lived with me until the end. The rescue provides all food and vetting, only asking the volunteers to provide a safe home and love.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:45 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The cat I had for 11 years from 98-09 was like that when I got him. He had been so badly mistreated that it took close to 2 years to get him to stop flinching when I went to pet his head or scratch his ears/chin. I got interviewed by 4 separate people prior to adopting him, and good for them. He was a cat only a serious cat lover could take on initially and they needed to know I was wired for it.
Your story reminds me of a cat that I adopted from a lady who runs her own feline rescue outfit. Some years back, she put an ad in the paper that she had kittens available. I have enjoyed the company of cats all my life, but at that time, my beloved cat, "Traveler" had moved on to that big catnip patch in the sky, and I'd been without a feline friend for maybe 6 months.

I was longing for another kitten in my life, so I gave her a call and she gave me the third degree, including asking if I declawed my cats. I told her that I opposed declawing because it left the cat unable to defend itself. That was the right answer and I was allowed to come by and be paired with the felid the cat lady thought was the best match for me. She presented me with a lovely tortoise shell that was a feral rescue.

When I got home, I released the feral tortie into a room that I had carefully prepared with a luxurious cat bed, litter box, food, water, toys - the works! My new wild cat was not impressed, and when I let her go, she promptly vanished into a closet and was gone. For two months my kitten hid at the far back of the closet and I only knew she was still around because she ate the food and used her box.

The Cat Lady would check on our progress every week or so, and I would sadly inform her that my wild child was still wild. After 6 weeks the Cat Lady told me that I could swap the feral tortie for a tamer kitten, but I had a feeling and I told her "not yet." At the two month mark, I woke up one night to discover my elusive kitten sound asleep on my chest. I still have her to this very day and she turned out to be one of the sweetest cats I've ever had!

Old 01-16-2019, 05:56 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
IMO, the lady in the video was selfish. I do think there are animal adoption agencies that are too strict. Sometimes weird things happen.

One of my relatives went and picked out a cat from a rescue and the rescue agreed to the adoption. My relative came back a day or two later and the rescue had given the cat to someone else who wanted her. They figured out my relative was a true cat lady so they gave her a black cat that was harder to adopt.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:56 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Your story reminds me of a cat that I adopted from a lady who runs her own feline rescue outfit. Some years back, she put an ad in the paper that she had kittens available. I have enjoyed the company of cats all my life, but at that time, my beloved cat, "Traveler" had moved on to that big catnip patch in the sky, and I'd been without a feline friend for maybe 6 months.

I was longing for another kitten in my life, so I gave her a call and she gave me the third degree, including asking if I declawed my cats. I told her that I opposed declawing because it left the cat unable to defend itself. That was the right answer and I was allowed to come by and be paired with the felid the cat lady thought was the best match for me. She presented me with a lovely tortoise shell that was a feral rescue.

When I got home, I released the feral tortie into a room that I had carefully prepared with a luxurious cat bed, litter box, food, water, toys - the works! My new wild cat was not impressed, and when I let her go, she promptly vanished into a closet and was gone. For two months my kitten hid at the far back of the closet and I only knew she was still around because she ate the food and used her box.

The Cat Lady would check on our progress every week or so, and I would sadly inform her that my wild child was still wild. After 6 weeks the Cat Lady told me that I could swap the feral tortie for a tamer kitten, but I had a feeling and I told her "not yet." At the two month mark, I woke up one night to discover my elusive kitten sound asleep on my chest. I still have her to this very day and she turned out to be one of the sweetest cats I've ever had!
Patience when dealing with animal is a MUST~~ Your gut told you to Continue and YOU got a former Wild child as a forever fur-buddy!! CONGRATS!! Bless your heart for your dedication to our Fur friends!!! {{hearts}}

Old 01-16-2019, 06:03 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post

I think lots of people are too quick to give up on these cats a bit prematurely. Of course the ideal is for kittens to be socialized at an early age, but older need not mean hopeless. I am so glad you and your wild child found each other.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:30 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

I don't know what these animal shelter people had against us. Age? Not rich enough? No fenced in yard? In the end, I'm actually glad that we didn't get a dog from them. We've had two wonderful, affectionate, well behaved dogs--even though they had to come from CL. Shelters do have the right but when they have so many dogs and yet won't let qualified people adopt them, you have to wonder if they are just hoarding them.
I have read that some of the adoption agencies are just silly about their requirements, like in your case, all they did is deprive a pet of a good home.

But it is their right to have any rules they want.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-16-2019, 06:37 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
But you know... anybody who loves critters so much that they work at a shelter or rescue is most likely bat****-crazy.
Well this is a ridiculous statement.

Last edited by steelstress; 01-16-2019 at 06:46 PM..

Old 01-16-2019, 06:40 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Makes me wonder what the goal actually is.

Is the goal to place as many pets as possible into decent homes so that less critters are caged and/or killed?
The goal is to place it in a home where it won't be brought back again. You don't put a pet in a home where there is a known potential problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets