Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 10:44 AM

129 posts, read 82,337 times

Advertisements

We adopted two cats last year, two months apart, from two different shelters. The first one was pretty easy - we did not have a current pet and we don't have children in the house and we own the house. They checked our driver's licenses in their database and chatted with us and watched us interact with the cats in the "play room." I'm 46 and my husband is 56, I offered to provide our check stubs to confirm income, but they declined. We did not want a kitten - we wanted a cat at least 8 months old. Easy enough... we found Elvis and paid the fee and took him home that day.

Then Elvis got lonely after about 6 weeks of being in the house alone all day and we went to an adoption event at PetCo sponsored by a different County Humane Society. The people running this were very possessive about the animals and were incredibly selective about even letting you pet or hold a cat. My husband went up alone at first while I was shopping. They were suspicious of a single man looking for a cat, but became much more friendly when I joined him. Then they interviewed us and pointed out a couple of cats that would fit our list (again, not a kitten). Of the two we liked, only one liked both me and my husband. Then came the application process.... wow, I think I filled out less paperwork to buy a new car! They called my two "friend" referrals, the new Vet's office, the previous Humane Society where we got Elvis, and they called my employer to verify employment. This process took a week and we were finally cleared to pick up Maria the next Saturday. My vet told me they called a month later to confirm we had taken Maria for her checkup and were continuing a RX for flea prevention.

I'm glad that they are selective and do their best to keep pets out of abusive homes. But I wonder how many potential good owners are turned off by the invasive background check?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 11:09 AM

19,822 posts, read 12,084,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
I would love to see a national "Do Not Adopt" database for animal abusers/hoarders/neglectors (sp?).
Don't want to hijack thread. Carry on!
The violators that are on there are awful, just today there was posted a female veterinary student that was taking in rescue horses only to send them to slaughter. I just checked and that was on Rescue Watch. There are several FB groups if you search for Do Not Adopt.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:10 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,778,907 times
I think they were in the right. I left my two dogs with Mom while I was at work. If she had issues, she'd probably not have an easy time with a 95 lb dog and a 55 lb one. (She was 77-83 during that time) a kitten "Might" be easier in a way as long as it was an indoor cat. But I feel they were more concerned with the owner croaking and the kitten starving.....

Old 01-17-2019, 12:54 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
It's not necessarily true that those apps will be pushed to the side and that's the reason for that question. The reason, IMO, is that teens and children, as well as older people, need an animal that gets along with them well, since those age groups have special needs for dogs, whether they realize it or not. For example, a testy chihuahua is not a good choice for a family with children and teens coming and going and lots of activity and playing w/the dog. That dog is easily injured and has a nature such that such an environment would not be a good match, generally speaking. Better to go with, say, a lab or retriever, who can hold up to some tail pulling, being accidentally stepped on, lots of young people talking loud and bouncing basketballs and coming and going. A young border collie would probably not be a good match for an older person, if that person is responsible for the dog a great deal of the time, or spends a lot of time w/it. Young border collies need a great deal of exercise, and are rough when playing. An older person could easily get hurt, or if the one who spends most time w/the dog, may not be up to providing the exercise the dog needs. Also, a person who is 65 when adopting a dog may be 75 or older eventually, during the dog's lifetime, so the right dog needs to be matched to be with an older person who might get seriously injured just from a fall. That's why those questions are asked. They don't want the dogs given away later because things arise that the owners hadn't thought of before.

As a person over 60, when I get my next rescue dog, I plan to look for an older dog or one that doesn't NEED a lot of exercise or play activity. I will be getting old while owning the dog, and while I walk every day and can provide exercise, and will play with the dog (more so than most adults), a dog that is too rough or too playful or needs too much exercise will probably not be a good match for me in the long run. Plus, there are many older dogs that no one wants. So I am perfect to adopt one of those. But most people don't think ahead like that, or have a lifetime of experience w/dogs to know these basic things.
I get what you are saying and I have no issue with trying to match pets with the right homes. What I DO have a problem with is the "control" aspect that some are taking with this thinking. What YOU choose over age 60 should not be projected onto others. That's your business but doesn't apply to everyone.

I am going to use celebrities here as an example as we know who they are; Christie Brinkley is 64 and I have no concern with her keeping up with a puppy of any breed. Fast forward to the end of a dog or cat's lifespan: Jane Fonda is 81 now and can kick the behinds of many 20 year old's. Just because something isn't right for YOU past a certain age doesn't mean you have the right to decide for everyone. No offense.

I think a lot of this can be a control issue - whether rescuers "realize" it or not - similar to what you said about the general public. For example, I don't agree with almost half of the people I know and how they raise their own kids. JMO. However, I don't - and couldn't if I wanted to - even think about stopping them from having kids and raising them how they see fit (not talking about illegal abuse of course). Those are PEOPLE I am talking about. Sobering thought....

Old 01-17-2019, 12:56 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,390,123 times
The animal shelter where I work does have that right to deny that

Old 01-17-2019, 01:24 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,380,234 times
Default perfectly okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Not politics but controversial. Watch the video with one woman's story.

I think the woman who wanted a kitten was selfish. The shelter was willing to give her a cat but under their guidelines. Do you agree with their reasoning?

https://www.abc27.com/investigators/...ers/1701951408
I clicked your link but there was no audio but I read the article.

To me a pet is not a possession, it is a companion that feels love, joy, sorrow, pain just like us.

I totally agree that a person's age might well affect the adopted pet. The aged person dies. What happens to the pet? Where it ends up it might not be treated well. The lady was offered an older pet because the shelter felt one would be easier for elderly to keep up with it's needs. I agree.

My pet is 14, close to end of life. Although I have had pets since 6 years old I will not get another one
once my 14 yo dies because I am now 64 and do not expect to outlive another one. I wouldn't put an animal through that kind of uncertainty. Could I expect family members to take kitty in as their own? Not likely.
Their pets would not get along with mine. Would my pet be neglected, euthanized? Unthinkable!

Shelters protect animals and they are responsible for the humane well-being of them. Remember that animals ending up there are often abused, injured, neglected, starved by their previous owners. They have lived a life of misery.

The shelter in my city will not allow adoptions if your premises are too small for the type of pet your are applying for. That is fair.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:33 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,906,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
Yep.

I've been in dog rescue since the 80s.

Dogs are in rescue/shelters (NOT the same thing btw) BECAUSE they had owners who GAVE THEM UP/they were seized.

Anyone responsible for getting these animals a new home will have it on their conscience if they place the animal with someone who may "love" it BUT cannot provide what that particular animal needs.

Love is NOT enough.

Some dogs need waayyyy more savvy owners than average (traumatized ones, sep anx ones, reactive ones)

Some dogs need waayyy more exercise than an average persone can provide (Border Collies, Aus Sheps, Huskies)

Some dogs are very long lived (Chihuahuas, Bostons, Poms) and need an owner who isn't 70 years old so the dog doesn't outlive the owner

Placing a dog with a new owner should be about "can this person provide what THIS dog needs"?

Folks who feel rejected when they are told a dog is not a good fit are selfish fools who do not have the dog's best interest at heart; they often then run to a breeder to buy, which tells you it was more about the acquisition than about giving a dog in need a happy life.
Right. Both of my dogs were in kill shelters and saved by rescue groups. The rescues invest time and money in caring for the dogs and getting them ready for adoption. They often try to foster them out to get a feel for how they behave in a home so they can make a good match for them. I am forever grateful to the rescue groups that saved my two dogs, who are in a secure loving permanent home and are provided for in my will should anything happen to me.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:06 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
My father adopted a shepherd/golden lab puppy after the age of 60. He walked that dog every day, and all the exercise did wonders for his health. She was the right dog for his situation, but it doesn't mean she'd be ideal for another person over 60.

We don't know the whole story here. Could be the rescue did a home visit and found conditions that weren't kitten-friendly, who knows. Also, kittens aren't that easy to come by in some places, believe it or not. Not sure what it's like where Nancy lives, but in my area, the shelter rarely has kittens. There's a lot of awareness here as well as easy access to low-cost spay and neuter programs. A friend of mine wanted a kitten and couldn't find one here. On the other hand, I also own a home on the Alaska panhandle, and kittens are rampant there. So is animal cruelty.

I do hope that Nancy's granddaughter was at least responsible enough to make a commitment to providing the kitten a home after deceiving the rescue when the time comes when Nancy can't care for it anymore.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:31 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times
As a lifelong cat owner and now a dog owner, I agree that we do have to be sensible when adopting an animal. Probably a 79 yr old person shouldn't be getting a kitten, but I think they could have a grown cat. Not necessarily a senior cat who will have expensive medical issues, just a cat that is not still a kitten. Maybe one of those fully grown cats that gets returned because it's not a cute little kitten anymore.

I noticed the locations of the posters who had a really hard time adopting a pet. They were mostly here in New England. I had such a hard time (impossible time) getting a dog that I've had to get my last two on Craigs List. Yet I'm in touch online with someone in a southern state who rescues animals all the time, doesn't get them spayed or neutered, and lets them run wild outside...they can't even find homes for pets down there.

And a relative who lives in a southern state has a puppy mill right next door to her! Seems that maybe the shelters are too strict in the NE and not strict enough in the south. A generalization, but that's how I see it.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:34 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As a lifelong cat owner and now a dog owner, I agree that we do have to be sensible when adopting an animal. Probably a 79 yr old person shouldn't be getting a kitten, but I think they could have a grown cat. Not necessarily a senior cat who will have expensive medical issues, just a cat that is not still a kitten. Maybe one of those fully grown cats that gets returned because it's not a cute little kitten anymore.
According to the article, the rescue/shelter offered her an adult cat, but she didn't want one.

Nancy and her granddaughter's little stunt has probably made it more difficult for honest people to adopt from that shelter.

Quote:
Seems that maybe the shelters are too strict in the NE and not strict enough in the south. A generalization, but that's how I see it.
There's way more to it than that. For one thing, kitten season is longer in warmer climates.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-17-2019 at 04:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets