Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 01:40 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
If I were going to have a wild animal as a pet I'd prefer a raccoon.

Of course, I would never have a wild animal as a pet in the first place.

I'll stick to cats.
While I think raccoons are more engaging than opossums
They are really more likely to do damage and get rabies
Plus they are as smart as a 4 yr old...that is very smart in the animal kingdom
And not too bad in human one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 01:41 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Well, kitties can be pretty vicious ...

I like them too
But had lunch with friend yesterday who can’t stand them but hates dogs even more—
So let her grandson who lives with her keep a cat...

Old 03-01-2019, 02:02 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

My god, the nightmares that thought brings up.

Why are people so hung up on rabies? You do know, if you are keeping something other than a dog or cat, you can still get it vaccinated. Its not like your pet raccoon is going to e-vite all his unvaccinated friends over. There is no Tinder for raccoons.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:23 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

My god, the nightmares that thought brings up.

Why are people so hung up on rabies? You do know, if you are keeping something other than a dog or cat, you can still get it vaccinated. Its not like your pet raccoon is going to e-vite all his unvaccinated friends over. There is no Tinder for raccoons.
Oh, *that* day is coming ...

Old 03-01-2019, 03:26 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
One important thing to consider when thinking about an exotic animal pet; intelligence. The smarter the animal the more likely it will be frustrated, bored, and miserable in captivity. Opossums have tiny brains and are emotionally a lot less complex. It is much harder to keep a 'coon occupied and satisfied than it is to keep an opossum occupied. Very different energy and exercise requirements. I helped raise a pet 'coon. Never again. Bad idea. Lightning fast, powerful and aggressive especially once sexually mature. Opossums may not be very social, but they are not plotting your demise either.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:33 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

You do know, if you are keeping something other than a dog or cat, you can still get it vaccinated.
Not necessarily. The rabies vaccines proven effective for dogs or cats aren't necessarily safe or predictably effective for other animals. You have to check into it for the specific species. Then of course there's the other more important problem...finding a vet who will even see or treat your odd pet. Most will not.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:13 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
People in my local NextDoor feed are talking about how opossums can be domesticated
Couple of them found baby possums and raised them
No problems they said

That creeps me out
Opossums have 50 teeth—-
And while their body temp is supposedly too low to cultivate rabies infections and thus aren’t as common a source of rabies
I couldn’t believe that anyone would want one inside the house...

Am I nuts
They were quoting passages about how they eat grubs and shoots and only fight back if threatened—
Well you could say a rattlesnake only fights back if it is threatened—
But I wouldn’t try to make a pet out of one
Uhmmmmm....they come up on my deck and are the ugliest things! Long coarse gray hair...long ugly thick rat tail...big and fat overall. And like you say, 50 teeth and also weird "paws" that look like 4 pink hands. Yuck! Just like pet pigs that are a tiny bit cute until they get too big - then what do you do with them?

Old 03-01-2019, 05:18 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I think they are kinda cute to look at, & are the only American marsupial. However, I believe in keeping wildlife wild. I have more than enough problems with my naughty cats no need for anything else.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:03 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
I think they are adorable!

Last year I had one that would come up on my porch when I would go out there (see pic of her). She would hang out in the evergreen by my front door and when she saw me she would come down from the tree and walk up the front porch steps and hang out with me on the porch. I was so hoping she was a girl and that I would see babies at some point on her back. Sadly one day she was not in her "spot". I assume either a car or a coyote finally got her :-( We also saw another one hit by a car in the street months later (not her since she had very distinctive markings on her ears). We searched her pouch and she had babies in there but unfortunately it was too late to save them!

Personally I think they get a bad rap. I would never have one as a pet or indoors but they are always welcome in my yard.
Attached Thumbnails
Opossum for pets-opposum.jpg  

Old 03-01-2019, 08:42 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Ditto on the horse/EPM danger.
Ditto on the "keep wild things wild".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets