Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 06:39 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,427 times

Advertisements

I don't consider reptiles as pets, but as a collection. Most require special habitat/environment considerations to thrive. I've kept and bred Emerald tree boas, both sub species, during the last decade. Anyone else keep collections of reptiles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 07:30 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
ETBs?? One of my favorites! Of course your name Dogboa gave it away....those snakes are gorgeous....

Don't have retile collections but a one-time boyfriend did...we used to go "snake hunting"....a trip to find collectible snakes. I really came to enjoy it. Even found some on my own....a corn snake, beautifully orange and a scarlet kingsnake, equally stunning. He had the corn snake for years.

I only had a problem when he fed some of his snakes with live mice.....a little nausea....

Pics??

Old 03-29-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
ETBs?? One of my favorites! Of course your name Dogboa gave it away....those snakes are gorgeous....

Don't have retile collections but a one-time boyfriend did...we used to go "snake hunting"....a trip to find collectible snakes. I really came to enjoy it. Even found some on my own....a corn snake, beautifully orange and a scarlet kingsnake, equally stunning. He had the corn snake for years.

I only had a problem when he fed some of his snakes with live mice.....a little nausea....

Pics??
I'll have to up load some pics. I always fed F/T and none of my neonates were ever sold if they weren't established on F/T. Most folks are surprised to find that emerald are red (C. caninus) or burnt orange (C. batesii) when born. I've only see C. caninus neonates born with adult coloration and they are few and far between.

Here is a pic of our first successful breeding of (C. batesii), commonly known as Amazon Basin ETBs.

I built the caging. Emeralds have very specific temperature and humidity requirements.

When I was in my 20s, I had a good size collection of North American crotalids (rattlesnakes, and copperheads). I also dabbled in exotic venomous.

Old 03-29-2019, 03:09 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
I don't consider reptiles as pets, but as a collection. Most require special habitat/environment considerations to thrive. I've kept and bred Emerald tree boas, both sub species, during the last decade. Anyone else keep collections of reptiles?
I wouldn't say I actively collected them just to say I had this or that species, but I have kept multiple species of chameleons and terrestrial frogs. Most of the chameleons were rescues from other clueless pet buyers. I didn't attempt to breed them; too many going without homes as it was.

The frogs were collected to establish a breeding colony in captivity. The "collection" was housed by several people who exchanged individuals. We didn't quite succeed but got close. When it became clear after a few years of trying that the climatic influences that help trigger spawning weren't going to happen in my location I donated mine to an aquarium where it was a lot more likely. It was gut wrenching to box them up and see them go but wanted to give the captive population the best chance. A couple of days after they arrived (long distance jet transport tends to promote spawning) two of my best females produced viable eggs, they were fertilized, and several hundred tadpoles hatched. I was insanely jealous...but in a good way. I doubt any of them survived to morph into adult frogs however...almost no one in any country has been successful.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-29-2019 at 03:29 PM..

Old 03-29-2019, 03:27 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
I'll have to up load some pics. I always fed F/T and none of my neonates were ever sold if they weren't established on F/T. Most folks are surprised to find that emerald are red (C. caninus) or burnt orange (C. batesii) when born. I've only see C. caninus neonates born with adult coloration and they are few and far between.

Here is a pic of our first successful breeding of (C. batesii), commonly known as Amazon Basin ETBs.

I built the caging. Emeralds have very specific temperature and humidity requirements.
Beautiful species OP!

Old 03-29-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:

When I was in my 20s, I had a good size collection of North American crotalids (rattlesnakes, and copperheads). I also dabbled in exotic venomous.

Awesome cage.....

and what a beautiful ETB. No, had no idea they were born orange to red but see them in the pic.
Do you sell to friends or are you more extended?

The old boyfriend and I kept snakes we found for a while but always let them go back into the wild...even the corn snake...

Old 03-30-2019, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Awesome cage.....

and what a beautiful ETB. No, had no idea they were born orange to red but see them in the pic.
Do you sell to friends or are you more extended?

The old boyfriend and I kept snakes we found for a while but always let them go back into the wild...even the corn snake...
I don't breed them any more, but did vend at the National Reptile Breeders Expo in Daytona Beach, Florida.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I wouldn't say I actively collected them just to say I had this or that species, but I have kept multiple species of chameleons and terrestrial frogs. Most of the chameleons were rescues from other clueless pet buyers. I didn't attempt to breed them; too many going without homes as it was.

The frogs were collected to establish a breeding colony in captivity. The "collection" was housed by several people who exchanged individuals. We didn't quite succeed but got close. When it became clear after a few years of trying that the climatic influences that help trigger spawning weren't going to happen in my location I donated mine to an aquarium where it was a lot more likely. It was gut wrenching to box them up and see them go but wanted to give the captive population the best chance. A couple of days after they arrived (long distance jet transport tends to promote spawning) two of my best females produced viable eggs, they were fertilized, and several hundred tadpoles hatched. I was insanely jealous...but in a good way. I doubt any of them survived to morph into adult frogs however...almost no one in any country has been successful.
At one Daytona show, the table next to us were breeders of dart frogs. I found it amazing that they are only poisonous in their natural habitat and due to something in their diet. Fruit flies are what captive dart frogs eat.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:55 AM

This girl represents the most sought after markings of C. batesii, complete dorsal stripe and lots of diamonds.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
This girl represents the most sought after markings of C. batesii, complete dorsal stripe and lots of diamonds.

Wow....how pretty. Love the markings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets