U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-19-2007, 08:49 PM

8,192 posts, read 19,873,339 times

Advertisements

So very sorry for your loss.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 06:01 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,728,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
In a few minutes I will be taking one of my cats to be put to sleep. He is almost 19, and is failing rapidly.

Just curious, for those of you who have lost a pet, did you bury or cremate?
I had my dog cremated he just dies on Jan 30th
I had waited all my life for a cocker spaniel and my husband bought me one when I had told him the story about how i had longed for one for so long

one day we were at the mall and I said lets go look at the puppies
he said ok and in there was a cocker spaniel just like I had visioned in my dreams
I told my husband "when I get my puppy thats what he would look like"
my husband said to the girl working there my wife wants to see that dog

I told him "If I touch that dog I am taking it home"
We named him Kirby and everybody who met Kirby loved him
(PS I am glad no one can see me crying right now)
he got aloong with cats ferretts all the dogs I brought into the house...he was the best dog ever.
Everytime I went to the vets no matter which pet I had with me I was known as Kirby's mom

well anyway Kirby would have been 8 on Feb 6 and I know it is young for him to go but we have steps in our house and he had a hip problem so he had to go live with my mom in FL cause thats where you go to retire. My mom even loved Kirby and he loved her too one day Kirby had some kind of seizure and nevr acted right after it 3 days later he was gone
my mom had my sister call me to tell me. she was the one who had him cremated for me and I got his ashes and his jewelry (thats what we call his collar)

Old 04-22-2007, 08:48 PM

364 posts, read 58,084 times
I just want to say how sorry I am for everyone who has lost a beloved furbaby. I have experienced it twice in my life- once at 6 years old and this past Jan 8, 07. It is so awful! There are those who do not have the big hearts "we" do and don't understand. Those who do know it is pure he**. I have two ailing 14 year old Labs and fear the day is coming. I am still struggling how to deal, still feel connected and not feel guilty when you look at your "new" 1 year old puppy that you love so much.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:59 AM

10,368 posts, read 10,848,367 times
Default So sorry for the losses and the heartaches

I'm so sorry for the heartaches and the stories of losses of beloved furkids. I've been there, done that, too many times in my 60 years. And I still miss them all.

This week, we found out that our kitty, Rosie, a little rescued ruddy Abyssinian, who only weighed 5 lbs at the most all her 14 years, had lymphoma. She went downhill in 4 days so quickly that I could see her fading by the hour. I finally made the difficult decision to send her back to God with thanks for all the love she brought into our lives the 7 years we had her. She was probably the most affectionate cat we've ever owned. They come into our lives so easily, then unbeknownst to us they worm themselves into our hearts, and when they go, they leave a hole that never closes up. In time it heals, but doesn't close. I will forever have a Rosie shaped hole in my heart.

And two other kitty shaped holes, and three doggie shaped holes...I have a holey heart! I always say, "no more animals"...but guess what? (I'd love to get another Abyssinian).

Thankfully, we still have two sweet cats (19 lbs, 17 lbs), and two dogs - a lab and a sheltie. There's a picture of Rosie in the attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Losing a pet-dusty-rosie-best-buddies.jpg  

Last edited by southward bound; 05-11-2007 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 05-11-2007, 08:04 AM

Sorry about the photo of Rosie and Dusty - I didn't realize it would be flipped sideways...hope you don't get a cramp in your neck trying to view it.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:45 AM

282 posts, read 929,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Sorry about the photo of Rosie and Dusty - I didn't realize it would be flipped sideways...hope you don't get a cramp in your neck trying to view it.
I'd stand on my head to see pics of someone's furkids! So sorry about Rosie.

Sorry to hear about everyone's loss.

My kitty Fred died here at home. He was 16. He had a stroke that was brought on by some overzealous firemen. Looooooong story.

His doctor told me that he wasn't going to live long. Gave me stuff to keep him comfortable and let me bring him home. I wanted him to go with his sister at his side at home.

It was so weird. I was sitting on the floor with him in my arms, and his sister was laying down right next to us. When his breathing started to get really shallow, Freida sat up, looked at me then looked at Fred, licked his head and then he stopped breathing. She licked his head again then walked away. The other two cats really didn't pay too much attention until it was time to feed them and they noticed that Fred wasn't there, I guess. They just sat there for a couple of seconds. Then in true kitty fashion, started eating!

This is Fred.......

Old 05-11-2007, 12:37 PM

377 posts, read 842,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
In a few minutes I will be taking one of my cats to be put to sleep. He is almost 19, and is failing rapidly.

Just curious, for those of you who have lost a pet, did you bury or cremate?
Evey, I am so very, very sad for you. I had a veterinarian come to my home to put my wonderful 21-year old cat to sleep. Her kidneys had failed, and I loved her with all my heart. For me it was the best way. I had her cremated and have her ashes in a small pottery vase given me by the vet.

I promise... Your cat will be waiting for you.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:52 AM

Oooh, Fred is beautiful. Yes, IS, not was. He still IS. and, yep, they'll all be waiting for us. I'm so sorry for the heartaches you all have had in losing your beloved furbabies. I'm still tearing up over mine, and tearing up over yours, too, cause I know how much it hurts. It heals, but you'll always know there's a bit of a hole there. With so much love to give, I'd urge all of you to think about adopting another lovable furbaby that desperately needs the lovin'.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:39 PM

Two weeks after my cat, Tara, was put to sleep I adopted another kitty. I walked into the cattery at the pound one late afternoon and immediately there arose such a yelling and caterwauling (no pun intended) and two little black arms came through the bars of a cage across the room. I walked over, looked inside and this rather greasy jet black kitten turned blue eyes up to me and I fell in love! I named her "Ella" (She was black and she sang....) and she is now a very large, very beautiful cat of about 14 pounds who loves me and is always at my side when I'm home. She is 12 years old now. VERY intelligent, almost scaringly so.

My partner also has a cat, who is 10 years old, and both always tolerated each other. Surprisingly, just within the past month they have become very good friends... I guess he must have proved himself to Ella.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:41 PM

I should have edited that! I meant to say 'both cats always tlolerated one another"... It's been a long day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets