Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 09:44 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,178,539 times

Advertisements

In a few minutes I will be taking one of my cats to be put to sleep. He is almost 19, and is failing rapidly.

Just curious, for those of you who have lost a pet, did you bury or cremate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 09:47 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,464,933 times
I did both-buried (in my yard) because i was short on money to have it creamated and other times had it creamated because i had some money to do it!

My condolences!

Last edited by Blue Grass Fever; 12-19-2006 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: to add

Old 12-19-2006, 09:48 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,049,222 times
Evey
I am so sorry. my heart goes out to you. Pets are such a big part of our lives.
When we lost 2 of our dogs we had them cremated.
Karla

Old 12-19-2006, 09:49 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,966,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
In a few minutes I will be taking one of my cats to be put to sleep. He is almost 19, and is failing rapidly.

Evey, I'm so sorry. I know exactly...exactly what you're feeling. Mine was 17 when I had to take him in and he was just in misery.
I was so dissolved I didn't bother to stick around after I made the decision to put him down. I left him with the vet and I assume that he was cremated. I didn't want the ashes or the body.
Where I live now I could bury my animals and in the future, I'll probably pick a tranquil spot for any animals in my family I lose.
At the time I put Alex down, I lived in a regular residential neighborhood and the ground in Las Vegas isn't normal dirt you can dig, it's caliche and hard as rock and there's no way I'd want an urn of ashes in the house. That to me is morbid.
Again, my sympathies to you. I feel for your heartache..I really do.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:51 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,790,334 times
My parents have both of our dogs cremated and they are buried in the backyard under a lighthouse with their dog tags on it.
I am sorry for your loss Evey.

Last edited by poprocksncoke; 12-19-2006 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: typos..oops!

Old 12-19-2006, 09:54 AM

986 posts, read 2,803,778 times
Evey, So sorry, we lost our dog a couple years ago. I can't imagine when I do not have my kitty anymore. I feel sad for you, hang in there

Old 12-19-2006, 10:26 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,129,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post

AWWW Poor baby. Give it a hug and a kiss. I've had to have 1 ferret and 3 cats put to sleep. Each time I've taken them to the vet, they got a shot while in my arms and just went to sleep. Then I would hand the pet over to the vet for cremation. My third cat was only 4 years old and he died at home under my bed. But he had leukemia and we had kept him alive and active with treatments until he just did not respond anymore. We took him in to be cremated also. All the cats died in the past two years. The first two were 13 and 14 years old.
I had one cat left this year and she made me a grandmother. Now I have 5 including the one with the cast that we found in the yard last week.

Evey, just remember that you did as much as you could and take your time to accept the loss.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:45 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,328,692 times
I'm truly so sorry, Evey. My heart goes out to you. We didn't have to make that decision with our dog. He died with us and we buried him under a tree near the water. My daughter did have to put her dog to sleep. I remember very well the phone call from her. It was heartbreaking. The vet took care of her body afterwards. I imagine your vet will offer the same thing. God bless.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:50 AM

613 posts, read 796,941 times
When that sad day comes for me and my husband, when our little boy "Scooter" our chi passes....I have made the decision to have him cremated. And half of his ashes will be buried with me, and the other half with my husband. Until then, they will be in an urn on the fireplace next to a big picture of him. I sure dread that day. It will be aweful. I don't treat him as a dog, but rather a son, and I talk to him like he will talk back. I swear one day, I think he will look up at me and say "mama".

I am so sorry Evey.

Last edited by DTexas85; 12-19-2006 at 11:27 AM..

Old 12-19-2006, 11:11 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,611,873 times
My thought are with you, Evey. I'm very sorry. I know what that feels like. I had to put my cat, Murphy, to sleep, back in May, and it does hurt, (and he was only five, so I felt kind of cheated out of my time, with my fuzzball). Anyway, I buried him in our back yard. It was the cheapest way to go, for one thing, and secondly, I don't particularly care for the idea of cremation.

I agree with Vpcats. Take your time to grieve. And, do remember all the love and attention you gave him. That was one of the hardest things for me, because for a long time, I felt as though I had let Murphy down. You are doing the kindess thing for your cat. I don't know what your thoughts are, spiritually, but I read something called "The Rainbow Bridge", shortly after he died. Personally, I found it comforting, whether one believes in an afterlife for animals or not. You can search for it online; you might like to read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets