Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 07:03 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,137 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry you are going through this right now.

I did this a couple of years ago, but with my cat. Spent thousands of dollars over 2 months doing liver byopsys and ultrasounds and meds, trying to save her life. She finally got so bad that hubby and I had to force feed her and use a needle to hydrate her. She wouldn't move from her spot on the floor. Nothing we were doing was working and it was Xmas weekend when we found out her liver numbers were worse than before. We decided as soon as the vet opened the day after Xmas was the day we would have to put our only 5yr old kitty to sleep. I figured that since she was doing so much worse, that it was no longer worth shoving the medicines down her throat. Within 24 hours she turned around and has made a complete recovery! Xmas eve that year she ate 1/2 can of wet food on her own.

Keep heart, miracles can happen! Sending prayers and good thoughts your way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 07:40 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,702 times
Movin on,
As a pet lover myself, I know the anguish you are feeling right now. I once had a beloved dog, Ginger that was an abused rescue and he was my shadow whenever I was home. I loved that dog like a mother loves her child. One day he ran out of the door when a package was being delivered. He ran in front of a car and his entire back end was shattered.
At the time I could not afford the surgeries he needed to live a somewhat normal life. I held him in my arms sobbing as the vet gave him the needle to put him to sleep.It was one of the most gut wrenching things I've ever had to do and tears are pouring down as I write this, but I looked on the decision I made at the time as the right thing to do. It was best for him not to have to live in pain or suffer any more as he had suffered enough in his young life. I justified it to myself that I had shown him lots of love and attention in the time I had him and he was in my arms when he died. At that moment it wasn't about me and my feelings or needs, it was about what was best for him and the quality of life that wouldn't be there for him. That was 5 years ago and yes I still miss him, but I don't think I would do anything differently. I know my being in faver of putting a beloved pet down doesn't make it any easier. But it has to be what is in the best interests of your pet, not in the best interests of how you feel.
I wish you all the best and peace with your decision,
Pam

Old 04-14-2008, 09:33 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Movin' on, please know that even though it hurts like mad, you're doing everything for your baby. I'm sorry you're having to go through this, but let me thank you for being an awesome pet owner and giving him a wonderful home.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:06 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
Thank you all soooooooooo much for your posts. They really mean so much to me. I had a really nice visit with my beautiful boy tonight. It's just so astonishing that he can be so sick and look so good. He wagged his tail for me. I brought him a little Teddy Bear (my dog's name isTeddy) and we played a bit and he liked that.

He is so sweet and just has to come through this. We had a little talk and I looked him in the eyes and I just didn't get the sense it is his time to go, as he's so bright and alert. We had a really peaceful and wonderful visit and I left feeling at peace.

Then, to make things really odd, and I know this is going to sound crazy....

I came home tonight to discover my pool light on. One must press a switch to do this and, of course, my gate is always locked. After my beloved pet Tiffany died, that pool light went on by itself at least half a dozen times in the months that ensued (Tiffany drowned in the pool, which was a different kind of devastation and the greatest sorrow of my entire life). I don't know what this means, but I truly believe it's a "sign" of something.

Teddy just has to be ok and come home. Thanks again for all of your posts and I will let you know later today what the surgery turns out like.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
Keep heart, miracles can happen! Sending prayers and good thoughts your way!
Thank you, I think a miracle did happen. The Vet was ready to give up yesterday, but I just couldn't. I saw him last night and he looked so good, just like himself. He made it through his 3rd surgery today (3 in 10 days). 75% of his bladder was dead. Had it been where the urethra and uretors were, he would not have been able to survive. It was close to that area, very close. They were able to sew him back up and he has a very small bladder right now, but they tell me it will expand. They give him an 85% chance. I figured since he was hanging in there and fighting to live, how could I do any less than to give him every chance.

He is one strong little dog, I'm afraid stronger than me. I am exhausted. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Thank you, I think a miracle did happen. The Vet was ready to give up yesterday, but I just couldn't. I saw him last night and he looked so good, just like himself. He made it through his 3rd surgery today (3 in 10 days). 75% of his bladder was dead. Had it been where the urethra and uretors were, he would not have been able to survive. It was close to that area, very close. They were able to sew him back up and he has a very small bladder right now, but they tell me it will expand. They give him an 85% chance. I figured since he was hanging in there and fighting to live, how could I do any less than to give him every chance.

He is one strong little dog, I'm afraid stronger than me. I am exhausted. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers.
Oh my that is wonderful!!! Please do keep us posted and heck a picture wold be nice too

Old 04-16-2008, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Oh my that is wonderful!!! Please do keep us posted and heck a picture wold be nice too
Thanks, cleosmom. How do I do an attachment in this forum? Is it allowed? He's an adorable 8 lb white pekepoo.

I went to see him tonight. His pulse wasn't good when I called, but after half an hour with him, it improved. This just goes to show how important it is to visit our pets when they are sick. They truly need to know their owners are there for them.

Now, I am going to try to get some sleep so I can visit the little fella in the a.m.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:36 AM

movin' on, when you go to reply to this post, just above the white box where you're typing there is a "paperclip" icon. Click on that and it will enable you to upload a pic and yes it's allowed.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:46 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
Not only allowed, but encouraged! We're rooting for you, movin'...but rootin' for the little guy the most!...

Old 04-16-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
movin' on, when you go to reply to this post, just above the white box where you're typing there is a "paperclip" icon. Click on that and it will enable you to upload a pic and yes it's allowed.
Thanks, the jpeg file I have is greater than the size that can be uploaded and I cannot figure out how to resize it on my computer. I'll see what I can do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets