U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2019, 02:07 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,209,609 times

Advertisements

We have a few vacation rentals and allow pets in one. It's an easy cleaning place due to the flooring and layout and have had very few issues being pet friendly over the years. Our guests appreciate the option and are generally very courteous.

However there's always that ONE person who doesn't act like an adult. Recently we had a dog do some serious damage to our place. It was noticeable right after check out. The owners of the dog claimed it couldn't possibly be their animal and went so far as to blame someone else who "must have snuck a different dog in." Impossible and ridiculous as this is a pet friendly property with no need to sneak any animals in. They actively tried to hide some of it with repositioning furniture as well.

So pet owners, travel with your furry friends but please remember the following:

Report any damage immediately. The owners of the places you are staying appreciate it and will likely understand that accidents happen. I'm far far more likely to cover/forgive most damage if a guest brings it to my attention when it happens.than if they try to cover it up

Clean up poo, especially in outdoor space, even if it's secluded.

If you are attending an event during your stay that will keep you away from your pet for a long time please crate them. Even if a pet us a good traveler, an animal in an unfamiliar location can become anxious and act out. For a short trip like a wedding weekend it's probably better to leave pets at home rather than in an unfamiliar place without you.

If you travel with a cat, keep the litter box in a bathroom or room with an easy clean floor. Always put something under the litter box... newspaper etc.

Invest in some nature's miracle or similar product in the event of urine marking. Bring something for your cat to scratch too.

A quick lint roller over any hairy surfaces before you check out is sincerely appreciated by cleaning crews everywhere

If your dog barks a lot when left alone please consider your accommodation carefully with regard to the proximity of neighbors. We have had to recommend a kennel more than once when neighbors complained about a loud dog traveling with their human companions.

Ask your hosts for baby gates or crates if you need one unexpectedly. They may have them and are happy to share rather than have their homes damaged

Understand that all animals don't love to travel. Some are VERY stressed out and may be better off with a sitter or boarded.

Thank you and happy travels! Please feel free to add your own tips as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 03:39 PM

1,961 posts, read 1,874,790 times
Qoq.

Thank you for being open to hosting people and their pets. I know how much I appreciated having pet friendly places when I took my two elderly dogs on a 3,000 mile road trip a few years ago. We had a wonderful time. I was always very careful to make sure my girls did not disturb other guests and left the place in the condition I found it.

My girls passed away last spring within weeks of each other and I am so glad they had that adventure and I have those great memories with them.

Now I find myself looking at potential vacation getaway's for myself and new my older dog and it isn't always easy to find what you want in a place that allows pets.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:38 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,209,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Qoq.

Thank you for being open to hosting people and their pets. I know how much I appreciated having pet friendly places when I took my two elderly dogs on a 3,000 mile road trip a few years ago. We had a wonderful time. I was always very careful to make sure my girls did not disturb other guests and left the place in the condition I found it.

My girls passed away last spring within weeks of each other and I am so glad they had that adventure and I have those great memories with them.

Now I find myself looking at potential vacation getaway's for myself and new my older dog and it isn't always easy to find what you want in a place that allows pets.
We have had a lot more positive than negative being pet friendly. Most of our guests are responsible and lovely, four and two footed alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or