Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 08:30 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times

Advertisements

What a beautiful cat!

There is no possible way I would ever have wet/miserable pictures. Neither my cat or my dog will go out if it even smells like rain. My dog will hold it for more than 24 hours if she has to, rather than get her toes wet! She has 2 raincoats, but won't budge off of the porch if it is already raining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 08:34 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Cyrus says thanks! He doesn't really like the water (like your cat - LOL!), but it doesn't bother him when it's raining lightly. All that fur protects him, like a wool coat, but it also absorbs the water terribly. He was already in need of a grooming, and now it's really time... he doesn't let me comb him, so I'm stuck with $80 trips to a professional every 6-8 weeks.
$80?? Ah I see it now you're in CA. I know our groomers charge $28 on a cat, or that's the base providing they aren't too matted.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:05 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,093 times
CYRUS ~ What a great name!!

Old 12-28-2006, 10:13 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
What a beautiful cat!

There is no possible way I would ever have wet/miserable pictures. Neither my cat or my dog will go out if it even smells like rain. My dog will hold it for more than 24 hours if she has to, rather than get her toes wet! She has 2 raincoats, but won't budge off of the porch if it is already raining.
Thanks! And LOL at your dog... she sounds like a real diva. My dog doesn't like getting his feet wet, but the actual rain doesn't bother him much. Cyrus can't even feel it through all the hair, and my other cat (Kona) never goes out b/c she's lazy & a wuss. Of course, it's the longhaired one who spends the most time outside - Murphy's Law!

Old 12-28-2006, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
$80?? Ah I see it now you're in CA. I know our groomers charge $28 on a cat, or that's the base providing they aren't too matted.
Yup, good ol' California cost-of-living! Admittedly I do go to an expensive groomer, but they're totally worth it... they make him look gorgeous, and it's a home-based business, so scheduling/pick-up is very flexible (that's important to me). Plus it's always nice to support the "mom & pop" shops! Their base price - I think - is about $50 for a longhaired cat, but I always get charged more for mats & behavior... he requires at least 2 groomers at a time, so they don't get mauled.

And I won't trust PetSmart or Petco with him, after hearing stories from a couple of friends. One presented them with hundreds in vet bills, after his 7-lb. Toy Poodle was cut by their employee (and ended up with an infection)... and that's not the only story I've heard! I might let them groom my dog, since he only needs a bath & nail-trim, but wouldn't take a longhaired animal to them.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjb View Post
CYRUS ~ What a great name!!
Thanks. It took me forever to come up with a name, and I actually called him "kitten" for about a month! Then I was going to name him either Beau or Boris, but found Cyrus in a book & thought it was perfect. I think it suits him quite well!

Old 12-28-2006, 10:44 AM

While I'm on the subject of pretty kitties, anyone wanna see the most beautiful kitten in the world (in my opinion)?? This is my mom's cat Jasmine, who is a Blue Abyssinian... she was only about 10 weeks old in these pics, but isn't much bigger now as a 10-month old.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p302/gizmo980/Blue72.jpg (broken link)

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p302/gizmo980/Blue52.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-28-2006, 11:23 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yup, good ol' California cost-of-living! Admittedly I do go to an expensive groomer, but they're totally worth it... they make him look gorgeous, and it's a home-based business, so scheduling/pick-up is very flexible (that's important to me). Plus it's always nice to support the "mom & pop" shops! Their base price - I think - is about $50 for a longhaired cat, but I always get charged more for mats & behavior... he requires at least 2 groomers at a time, so they don't get mauled.

And I won't trust PetSmart or Petco with him, after hearing stories from a couple of friends. One presented them with hundreds in vet bills, after his 7-lb. Toy Poodle was cut by their employee (and ended up with an infection)... and that's not the only story I've heard! I might let them groom my dog, since he only needs a bath & nail-trim, but wouldn't take a longhaired animal to them.
No problem with you supporting the home town folks, I work for a locally owned kennel/grooming facility

My one friend took her dog to either Petco or Petsmart, can't recall which and she could tell without a doubt that all they did was clip the dog, never even bathed and she was charged nearly double what our groomers charge her. She was just impatient and couldn't wait to get in so she went to one of the others.

As far as the vet bill, that should have been paid by the company that inflicted the injury

Old 12-28-2006, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
No problem with you supporting the home town folks, I work for a locally owned kennel/grooming facility
Very cool... locally owned places usually do the best job, and give you better customer service. It's worth a little extra money, in my opinion!

Quote:
My one friend took her dog to either Petco or Petsmart, can't recall which and she could tell without a doubt that all they did was clip the dog, never even bathed and she was charged nearly double what groomers charge her. She was just impatient and couldn't wait to get in so she went to one of the others.

As far as the vet bill, that should have been paid by the company that inflicted the injury
See? That's what I'm talking about! Oh, and I think I mis-phrased a sentence in my post... I meant that my friend gave PetSmart the vet bills, so he fully intends to have them pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets