Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 08:52 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
A pittie isn't a "small" dog, nor are most hounds, so I'm not sure why they'd pop up on your small dog search; check your parameters.

I've known people to travel to other states to adopt a dog they found online, but I suppose it depends how motivated you are to rescue/adopt rather than buy from a breeder.

Personally, I prefer a calm, usually already trained adult or deserving, grateful senior to puppy hyperactivity and misbehavior (if you're retirement age, I would also consider whether or not I'll still be around and healthy when the dog is 15 or older), but good luck.
I doubt the options are any different for those looking on petfinder. Small dog, 0-25 pounds. it's not like I can narrow it down more. I assume it's because they are mixes, and/or because they don't actually have a whole lot available nearby that are truly 'small' except the chihuahua mixes. Aagin, most of the rescues I've looked at have restrictions on how far away you can adopt, around here the restriction is typically 75 miles, which excludes the nearer large cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 08:53 AM

10,891 posts, read 7,382,548 times
You might talk to local veterinarians, or see if they have a public posting board outside the office. My vet's board always had pets available.

Local groups on Facebook or NextDoor or Freecycle might be a source. We got our last cats by asking on freecycle, though some groups don't allow animal posts.

The more people who know you're looking, the more likely you'll find the right pet.

Old 01-09-2021, 08:57 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Aagin, most of the rescues I've looked at have restrictions on how far away you can adopt, around here the restriction is typically 75 miles, which excludes the nearer large cities.
As for size, you can enter certain breeds and omit certain others (there's no limit) if the "small" option isn't working for you.

Again (re: distance), those are rescues; not shelters. They often operate very differently. Most shelters would rather work with a potential adopter than have to euthanize a perfectly healthy animal just for lack of space. Good luck!

Old 01-09-2021, 09:01 AM

7,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
It takes time to go through a rescue. I joked it was like adopting a child. It took a few months but we were chosen for the Maltese we wanted. It included references and a home visit. You can also try your SPCA. We adopted Josie from Texas and live in Nevada. We had to fly out to pick her up.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:36 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,588,900 times
Aside form the dog I mentioned earlier that I currently have I have adopted twice before from rescues (2018 and 2019) and once from a humane society shelter (2005).

The first was a senior from a local rescue. Same requirements as before. Apply, references, interview, home visit, adoption. (adoption fee $200) They are pretty small so a little disorganized but they were not unreasonable and they provided a lot of support over the 2 years he was with me. Even paying for some of his large medical bills.

The second was another long distance adoption(800 miles). I saw his pic on Facebook and knew he as the dog I was looking for. Applied, did phone interview, have references etc checked. (adoption fee $200) Rescue arranged transport part way with Pilots N paws. I drove 6 hours to meet the pilot on the other side of the state. The dog was a hot mess of nerves anxiety and fear. He growled and snapped in is crate for the first three hours of the drive home. He bit me twice the first week I had him. In time he blossomed into a wonderful affectionate companion. Sadly he died this summer of sudden heart failure probably a congenital defect common to his breed because of his backyard breeder origin.

In all three cases the rescues required a fenced yard. Not only do I not have a fenced yard but I rent and live in a small city apartment. I was able to demonstrate that what I had to offer in the way of an very quiet predictable home, lots of walks, hikes and great local dog parks, and my extensive experience with animals made the lack of a fenced yard a small detail. They each decided that this one thing did not hinder my adopting from them. Having really good reference helped.

Good rescues work hard to fit the dog to the situation so the dog and owner have a better chance of success. The follow up on the adoption and even sometimes offer support and advice to help with any issues. They are very forthcoming about special needs and training issues. If they overlook your application on a particular animal it may be that they don't see you as the right fit. That does not mean they would not adopt a different pet to you. They just want to see the dog successful and be sure that it will not wind up back in the system.

I had a dog years ago that had been adopted and returned multiple times before she came to me. She came from the humane society. I walked in filed out the application and took her home that day. I think it was $100. They asked me if I was sure I wanted her. The did not tell me that she had been in and out of their shelter for a year. They called two weeks later to see how it was going and immediately offered to take her back when I said it was a little rough. She had severe fear and housebreaking issues none of which was disclosed. It took a lot of time be she became a terrific dog and lived to a good old age.

Some rescues are really truly just unreasonable but there are so many good ones out there that you can just look elsewhere. Yes its gonna be work. You need to be detailed and exacting in explaining why the dog you want is the right one or why you are the right person for that dog. A pet is not a new toy or piece of furniture, it is a life partner. You will hopefully live with this animal for the rest of its life so don't rush the process of finding the right one.

Last edited by shadowfax; 01-09-2021 at 09:46 AM..

Old 01-09-2021, 10:08 AM

Great post; thanks for sharing your experiences!

Old 01-09-2021, 11:27 AM

631 posts, read 399,210 times
Reputable breeders often retire their breeding dogs. I got 2 of my dogs from one (miniature poodles). Perhaps you could check with breeders in your area and let them know you'd be interested when they had one available?

Alternatively...I got my latest rescue from a greyhound adoption group a few months ago. With Florida banning racing as of Dec. 2020 and other states closing their tracks, there are lots of greys available. I know you said you didn't want a big dog, but in case you change your mind.....

Old 01-09-2021, 11:34 AM

Retired greyhounds make wonderful, gentle pets! Thank you for rescuing.

Old 01-09-2021, 01:19 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Another reason to check Craigslist: some of the small rescues advertise there.

There is a cat rescue in my area that has a really good reputation. They have six ads for different cats available every day on Craigslist. There is a small animal rescue, a bird rescue, and a reptile rescue that all advertise available animals on Craigslist. They are legitimate places, where new homes are carefully screened, not breeding mills or cheats.

You just have to be careful.

If you have enough time and energy for a smart high energy dog that needs a job, you can find ads for working breed puppies on the bulletin board of the local feeds store. Just be aware that most breeders of working dogs will not place them in pet homes. If you don't understand why, ask me how much work it took to turn Wyatt McRiot into a house dog....and he wanted more than anything to be a good house dog, but breeding tells. It was hard work, both for the people and the dog.

Old 01-09-2021, 05:32 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
You must live up north. We have always had dumped dogs and cats wherever we've lived. My animals are all rescues. The latest is an intact bengal cat who somebody didn't fix and I think he just wandered too far.

I think who ever gave you the transport idea has a good idea. There are lots of really wonderful dumped animals out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets