U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2007, 09:34 PM

262 posts, read 1,107,865 times

Advertisements

This thread was very helpful. We are about to pull up all our rugs and put down hardwood floors. I was a little concerned about my lab scratching them up but I feel a little better after reading the advice here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 12:00 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,589,156 times
Thanks for all the great info. The more I dig around this forum the better it gets, lol. The place I'm looking at submitting an offer on is all real hardwood except for the tile in the bathroom and living room.

I love the look and the thought of no more dirt/gunk absorbing carpet or cheesy linoleum thrills me but I was worried about wear and tear specially with pets. Looks like there is a lot more to it than meets the eye when it comes to options in sealing, cleaning, maintaining, etc.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:09 PM

12,386 posts, read 31,337,219 times
Any time you hear toenails clicking on floors it time to clip the nails!! Long nails can also get hungup in carpet & be ripped off the dog!!!

When your dog comes downstairs & you see scraches that means they are using their claws to keep from slipping...to save them from hurting hip or back ect..& save scraches to the floor. Put a piece of carpet at the bottom of the stairs!!!

Another thing to keep the dog from slipping...[digging in with claws to keep his balance].......Trim the hair around the pads!!

Last edited by Katie1; 06-06-2008 at 08:44 PM..

Old 06-06-2008, 10:54 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,158,255 times
I'm another one with medium-large dogs and hardwood floors, and they go together just fine .

The house I'm in now is an older home with original hardwood floors (red oak). These floors are real wood, not engineered. I also have a wax finish.

Between the combination of the wood being old (60+ years), which makes the wood harder, and the wax finish, scratches are not that noticeable and don't occur easily. When they do occur, I can just pull out the can of wax and do a quick spot treatment.

If my floors were sealed with polyurethane, the scratches would be far more visible. I'll add that, at least in my city, with the popularity of new construction and engineered wood products, "old style" floor companies who install real hardwood and offer a wax finish are disappearing....I had a hard time even finding a distributor for a can of wax recently .

My dogs are very active - even inside the house - so my floors get plenty of abuse and they're holding up fine.

Carpet is great for dogs to get traction on (the house we just moved from had carpet), tile can be hard on dogs, they slip on tile.....

Go for wood!

Old 06-07-2008, 04:01 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,850,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwr6348 View Post
We have satin finished engineered hardwood , and its honestly the worst flooring imaginable for dog owners.
Yes--we moved into our new house since my first post in this thread, and we got stuck with this floor, not my choice at all (long story, couldn't be helped.)
It probably is the worst possible flooring for a dog owner, especially a *large* dog owner. But oh well. We've put down as many rugs as we can.

Riv, I used to have an oak dining table and I remember the paste wax was hard to come by. I guess you just have to buy a lot whenever you do find it.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:05 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,283,020 times
Riv, I'm going off topic here - but with the herd running through I gotta ask. What did you do to prep your floors to put paste wax down, and then did you run a buffer over it? Our floors are original hardwood as well and look beat half to death in spots, but in other spots there is some type finish (though I don't have a clue as to what it is). With six monsters running around I need to do something, but moving out for a total overhaul isn't in the equation right now. I'm assuming a good wax job and then regular maintenance is what we need?

Tile - love it in the bathroom but the rest of the house? Other than clean up, it is a KILLER for us. We lived in the Caribbean for a while and everything is tiled there. OMG - my back and feet hurt the entire time...well, except for when I was on the beach....

I have a friend who tiled her great room and then cut tiles in half and did like a backsplash around the entire room about 4-6" inches wide. When she mops she doesn't have to worry about hitting baseboards - I think that's a beautiful idea!

Old 06-07-2008, 10:04 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,158,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Riv, I'm going off topic here - but with the herd running through I gotta ask. What did you do to prep your floors to put paste wax down, and then did you run a buffer over it? Our floors are original hardwood as well and look beat half to death in spots, but in other spots there is some type finish (though I don't have a clue as to what it is). With six monsters running around I need to do something, but moving out for a total overhaul isn't in the equation right now. I'm assuming a good wax job and then regular maintenance is what we need?
As a quick fix, you can do this:

You'll need:

Plenty of clean rags
Mineral Spirits
Paste Wax

Do a patch test first, dampen a rag with mineral spirits and wipe a small section of floor. If the finish "melts" very quickly and you're basically down to the bare wood, then you had a wax finish and you can continue. If it's a poly finish, then I don't think you'll come up clean on the rag, it will probably be gloppy and I would not continue.

Given the age of your house, a wax finish would make sense unless someone got all "modern" in the 70's and refinished with poly or something .

So if it's a wax finish, the mineral spirits will lift off the layers of old wax, dirt and grime. You could go spot-by-spot, or you could empty out a room and do an entire room at a time. You're just "cleaning" with the mineral spirits, then spreading a thin layer of wax right over that same spot, wait a couple of minutes, then buff the fresh wax to a shine. I do it by hand when I want to do a touch-up (and i've touched up entire rooms this way), but you could buy/rent a buffer which would speed along the wax application and buffing parts. I have a neighbor who redoes his floors every year this way using a buffer (he has a lot of time on his hands ).

This is part of what I like about wax finishes, the heavy wear areas can be touched up easily by the homeowner at will and it blends right back in with the rest of the floor.

With your floors, when the time comes, you might want to look into a full refinishing and then maybe a tung oil finish on top...I bet that would be gorgeous and would patina really nicely since the dogs will distress it anyway.

To do a full refinish job, you'd need to move out for a week and empty out the house...it's a lot to do.

I use Minwax paste wax in "Neutral" finish (no color):

Minwax® Paste Finishing Wax - Specialty Products - Minwax.com (http://www.minwax.com/products/specialty_products/paste_finishing_wax.cfm - broken link)

Old 06-08-2008, 02:31 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,283,020 times
Thanks. Looks like I need this 6 weeks of unemployment to tackle this job...

Old 03-10-2009, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 25,704 times
So to expand on this... if anyone has any advice, I am all ears. We have Brazilian Cherry hardwood floors. Our house is only 2 years old. We have 2 cats (both clawed) and a 55 pound dog. They have all but destroyed our beautiful floors. There are scratches everywhere. We keep their nails trimmed as best we can, but the damage is done. The best way I can describe the worst act by the cats is to imagine the roadrunner beginning to run and not going anywhere for a few seconds. Well our kitties do this, and it's killed the floors. So, short of pulling all the furniture and pets out and refinishing the floors, what are our options for repairing? We're about to put the house on the market and these floors are our best selling feature. Some of the scratches are deep! I will attach some pictures so you can see what I'm talking about, but seriously any advice is more than welcomed!!
Attached Thumbnails
Hardwood floors, pets, and scratches-img_1429.jpg   Hardwood floors, pets, and scratches-img_1428.jpg  

Old 03-13-2009, 01:52 PM

2,406 posts, read 5,347,967 times
Default Big toenails on flooring

Anyone getting new flooring................

That was our concern.
We had to pull out our carpeting cause of hubby's allergies.

We really did our research and a lot of it.
We wanted hardwood floors, but with big Rotts & at the time we had a Bloodhound. Ever see a Bloodhounds toenails.

We found Mannington Laminate Flooring. Check it out. Looks like hardwood, has the colors, the grain...it's beautiful. One more room for Hubby to do.
Best of all BIG DOG TOENAIL PROOF...YEA !!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or