U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 01:34 PM

251 posts, read 801,594 times

Advertisements

This is for anyone with hardwood flooring who has a small dog:

Have you had problems with the dog's nails scratching the flooring or with occasional accidents spotting the floor a darker color?

If you had it to do over again, would you use tile instead?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 01:39 PM

739 posts, read 2,506,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipstone View Post

Have you had problems with the dog's nails scratching the flooring or with occasional accidents spotting the floor a darker color?

Thanks.
Great thread. We had hardwood floors and when this happened to us we installed carpet. I thought we were "protecting" the floor. I'd love to hear what other's do about this problem too.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:36 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,517,932 times
Quote:

Thanks.
I have hardwoods and two big dogs (one 100lbs, the other 75lbs) and i would not trade my hardwoods for tile. I am not a fan of tile flooring in rooms other than a bathroom and kitchen. My hardwoods are also in high traffic rooms so they have wear on them. I'm planning to have them refinished. As for the occassional accident i don't have to worry about that because when an accident does occur they seem to prefer the one carpeted room in my entire house.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:41 PM

Surfing, would you mind saying how long you've had your hardwood floor? I'm wondering how long it might take before I would have to refinish my floor once my dog danced on it a few times.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:30 PM

13,327 posts, read 30,288,691 times
Oh boy, do I have stories about this.
We've had tile floors, and we've had wood floors, and during that time we've had two mastiffs, one was 180 lbs, the other was 155.
We had tile in the kitchen, and wood floors elswhere. About 9 years before we sold the house, we put in all wood floor except for by the backdoor, where we had tile.
Both types of floor were easy to keep clean. For me, in the kitchen, the wood floor was much kinder to my feet. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen.
But every time the doorbell rang, off the dogs would rush across the floor.
And yes, we got scratches. I kept their toenails clipped, but it happened anyway.
The floors should have been refinished before we finally did refinish them, it was a good 8 years. When we refinished them, we had them done with stuff called Traffic. It wasn't any super wonderful product, but it did help a bit.
Now that we are in Florida, our next house will probably have a combination of the two.
One thing about tile: everything that falls on it breaks.
Not so with wood.
I like the visual warmth of wood. But yes, when you have pets, it can be kind of a hassle.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:39 PM

5,019 posts, read 9,230,740 times
Floors at the current house are oiled. I just use a bit of paste-wax and elbow grease for scratches.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Surfing, would you mind saying how long you've had your hardwood floor? I'm wondering how long it might take before I would have to refinish my floor once my dog danced on it a few times.
I've lived in my house 9 years (have had at least one dog the entire time). The hardwoods are original to the house which is a 1950s ranch. The previous owners (they owned the house for 4 years) never refinished the floors and I do not know if the original owners ever did. so it's been well over 10 years. Also I live in massachusetts so my floors take a beating in the winter with salt and snow. I attached a couple of pictures so you can see the floors (there actually pictures of my dogs but you can see the condition of the floors in the photos). Yup I've got two BIG dogs but i love 'em.

Last edited by surfingatwork; 08-22-2007 at 01:42 PM..

Old 01-25-2007, 09:53 AM

5,019 posts, read 9,230,740 times
What great dogs!

I noticed the chair flipped on the couch, just have to ask: is that to keep the dogs off of the couch? 'Cuz I do a similar thing with a small end -table.

Oh wait, I guess I'm supposed to be looking at the floors!

Old 01-25-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
What great dogs!

I noticed the chair flipped on the couch, just have to ask: is that to keep the dogs off of the couch? 'Cuz I do a similar thing with a small end -table.

Oh wait, I guess I'm supposed to be looking at the floors!
Thank you. They're my babies. and yes the chair is there to keep them off the couch. Right after my husband and I adopted the black and white dog (who had just turned 1 at the time) she decided the couch cushion was a chew toy and chewed a hole in it (came SOOOOOO close to sending her back to the pound). I flipped to cushion over and now when no one is around the chair goes on the couch.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:07 AM

Plaidmom, so are you saying the paste wax erases the scratches from your dog?

Uh, I mean - the paste wax erases the dog scratches from your hardwood floor?

Surfing, I don't see scratches on your floors in those photos, but your dogs are precious! It looks as though the floors don't have any kind of seal such as polyurethane. Is that right?

I wonder if some of the scratches on a lot of hardwood floors are not actually into the wood, but simply on the shiny surface where polyurethane (or other similar coating) has been applied?

Thoughts anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets