U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 12:46 PM

464 posts, read 696,166 times

Advertisements

my daughter has a palomino pony it looks like a small horse. She just loves it goes outside and reads to it, she is also horse crazy. If you ask her what she wants to do when she grows up, be a barrell racer in the rodeo. People down the street have miniature horses they drive around the neighborhood in a buggy it's so cute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 07:31 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,159,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Adorable!
It was so fascinating looking at and reading about all the horses.
They are all so beautiful and so different from each other.
When I was a little girl I was horse-crazy but I think I have only been riding maybe 8 times in my life.
When it comes to miniature horses, is smallest best? Or does it matter?
Are conformation and color the most important qualities, or must miniature horses have that "show" attitude as well?
I notice that each blurb seems to predict just how big the horse might get to be.
It's funny, they are all about the size of English Mastiffs (I don't show, we just have companion mastiffs.)
Well, I'm still learning, of course, but yes, it seems that most of the farms try to keep the horses small, but with a more refined body type. You probably noticed that some of them had almost an Arabian look to them, (if you look at more farms/ranches, you can see more of the same). I don't think my guy is quite that refined; more in between the Draft and the Arabian types, (though I'll be able to tell better when he loses his winter coat ). Although, his head is certainly refined and very dishy. The picture doesn't show it as well, as looking at him from the side, but it is there. The more cobby-bodied horses harken back to the days when many of these animals were used to work in mines. However, although the breeders want the smaller horses, they don't want the dwarf horses. They tend to have alot of medical problems, etc. So, the good breeders/farms work very hard to keep that out of the bloodlines.

The colored horses seem to be very popular, such as paints, appaloosas, etc. Which means they usually sell for quite a bit, if they have good bloodlines, of course. I would also suppose that a horse with a "show attitude" is good, although I would think that most of them can be trained with that in mind. I have no intention of showing my little guy. I just wanted a miniature horse to play with, train, etc. I might possibly use him for breeding later, but that will depend, and it's not a priority on my list. But, to that possibility, I am keeping him uncut. Time will tell as to how much of a handful he might be, as a stud. With my rusty experience, I certainly would not have even considered a regular-sized horse, as a stud. Way too dangerous, unless you know what you are doing. Right now, he weighs about 135 lbs, and I'm not exactly sure how much he will weigh at his adult size. Although, as you mentioned, the blurbs on the website do predict possible adult heights.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:30 AM

2,349 posts, read 9,658,574 times
OK Celtic you've done it now! I have tried to resist the urge but I finally did check our your horse and the website. How darn cute are they? I want one now lol Your lil guy is a beauty and looks so hardy, even at his tiny size. Please keep us updated so we can be mini-horse owners vicariously through you. I wonder if my city neighbors would notice a pony in my yard? ..... hhhmmmm.....

Old 01-30-2007, 12:29 PM

8,191 posts, read 28,051,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
I wonder if my city neighbors would notice a pony in my yard? ..... hhhmmmm.....
Don't let the serious mini horse people hear you call it a pony! They will tear you a new one with a speed that will amaze you.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:44 PM

33 posts, read 101,887 times
Miniature horses are so adorable I almost lost my mind the first time I saw one!

I've never had horses and have no use for one, but I would love to have one of those miniatures! I always thought I'd name her, "Miss Dixie Blubelle"! But, since I know nothing about caring for them, nor does my husband, I probably won't ever get one. I hear they are expensive, too.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:44 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,853,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
. However, although the breeders want the smaller horses, they don't want the dwarf horses. They tend to have alot of medical problems, etc. So, the good breeders/farms work very hard to keep that out of the bloodlines.

. Right now, he weighs about 135 lbs, and I'm not exactly sure how much he will weigh at his adult size.
I love that dishy Arabian look. I see what you mean about trying to keep the smallness but not the mine-poniness--the more refined conformation being preferable.
Your baby weighs the same as my baby (my present mastiff was the runt of the litter.)
Wow, I can really see the attraction, miniature horses are very cool!
I hope I get to see one in person sometime.
We'll never have the kind of land that they need, and I know nothing about horses. All I know is that they are beautiful animals. I am very respectful of full-size horses, though.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:37 AM

Sorry about that, JKME, didn't mean to stir anything up there! Yes, he is very hardy! Like his larger counterparts, he'd rather stand out in the rain. His coat is so thick! The colder weather we've been having here in NW Florida, (down as low as the twenties, at night, a couple of times), weather that makes me scurry back to the house, epecially when the north winds blow, doesn't faze him, in the least. The city neighbors, well, it probably depends on how citified. Apartment dwellers might have a problem with it. But, more and more urbanized areas, (within reason) are allowing them because they are so small, and are considered pets, more than livestock, unless, of course, one intends to start a "mini" ranch.

EVEY, you're right about not calling the miniature horse a pony. Although there is "pony" in the bloodlines of minis, they have been very specifically bred down, as horses, in size. The bloodlines of other breeds have been used, hence the reason for the different body types, such as the Arabian. So, I have noticed, in the month that I have had him, and have been reading everything I can about them, that folks do get testy, if you refer to the mini as a pony. I know I don't call my guy a pony!

KITTYBURGULAR, if you wanted a horse bad enough, you could learn what you need to know, about their care and training. As I said before, I hadn't had horses in 23 years, so I am rusty, but it comes back very quickly. Also, in my case, I'm fortunate that my best friend has owned horses, (large ones), for the last ten years, and has helped me a great deal. And, actually, they're not nearly as expensive as you might think. They don't eat nearly as much, their shelters are smaller, the dosing on their worming is much less...the list goes on. Although I have had him only a short while, every indication, both from my own limited experience, and from research, is that the mini costs about a tenth of what a large horse costs, for upkeep. Oh, and the name, Miss Dixie Bluebelle is really cute! Good thing mine is a male. I might have taken your name idea! At the ranch I bought him from they were calling him Dundee, (they thought, when he was "little" that he was going to be a dun horse, but he turned out palomino, like his grandsire, who, by the way, is the horse on their home page of their website!). I'm debating about a different name for him.

CIL, I looked in my atlas road map, to find out exactly where you are, and I am sure, that if you looked on the internet, you could find some miniature horse ranches within driving distance of your home, if you really wanted to see some. There are ranches everywhere in Florida. Shoot, there are at least four that I know of, here in my neck of the woods, Pensacola to Crestveiw. And, there may be more, for all I know. And, they don't need near as much land as a full-sized horse. You can maintain one on a third to half acre lot, with supplemental feeding. A bale of hay a month, give or take. My guy also gets 2 cups of pellets, morning and night, which is not quite a pound per feeding. And, they are 50 lb. bags. I'm just now thinking about going to the feed store to get him some more. Which costs me about $14 a bag. I spend about $18 a month for dogfood. Of course, that's not counting their shots and worming, but you have to do that for your dogs and cats, too. Could I afford a large horse? No, but then, I don't really want one, either. He is enough for me to play with, train, and take of, expense-wise. Word of warning, though. If you do find some ranches to visit, be prepared to steel yourself. They are awfully hard to resist! Originally, all I wanted was to look. And, see what happened?!

Old 01-31-2007, 06:59 AM

2,349 posts, read 9,658,574 times
Default Minis everywhere!

Celtic, it's worse than you can ever imagine. I have researched these mini HORSES ;0 and found another mini I am in love with..... the mini highland cow! So now we are going to have to move to the country, and get a couple of mini horses, 2 mini cows and some fainting goats. lol You mentioned the different body types of the minis. The arabian is so sleek and elegant but the little chubby (I don't know what "type" he is) barrel bodied mini is charming too. We found a "ranch" near us and when it gets warm I plan on taking my little guy on a trip to visit. I also noticed that mini owners very welcoming. Thank you again for all the info and sharing it w/us.

Here are some mini highlands:
Attached Thumbnails
Miniature Horses-maisie.jpg   Miniature Horses-hugo.jpg   Miniature Horses-windswept.bmp  

Last edited by jkmewright; 01-31-2007 at 07:21 AM..

Old 01-31-2007, 07:06 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,853,550 times
Those fainting goats crack me up!
I saw some regular-sized Highland "coos" in Scotland but did not know they came in smaller versions.
Celtic, you're right, I am sure I could find some mini-horses here, there is horseback riding on the beach all the time and I could probably find some simply by word of mouth. But the internet works too.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:45 PM

JKME, I have not seen mini cows, in person, but I have seen a few pictures. Those were great, of those mini highlands, you posted! Along with the mini horses, mini cows, and fainting goats, (I've seen those on tv. How funny! ), you could add mini donkeys! Cute as a button! As to the body types, there are certainly all types, from the Arabian, to the Draft, and everything in between. My best friend has a little 30-inch mare, who very cobby-bodied, but she is very cute, and she has the brightest blue eyes! Your son will will certainly like to see the minis! And, you're right, most mini horse owners are very welcoming.

CIL, You may be better off, with the internet, if you don't want to be overly tempted! Lots of ranches have websites, so you can look to your heart's content, in relative safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or