U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 05:38 AM

33 posts, read 101,887 times

Advertisements

CelticLady, you said, "KITTYBURGULAR, if you wanted a horse bad enough, you could learn what you need to know, about their care and training. As I said before, I hadn't had horses in 23 years, so I am rusty, but it comes back very quickly. Also, in my case, I'm fortunate that my best friend has owned horses, (large ones), for the last ten years, and has helped me a great deal. And, actually, they're not nearly as expensive as you might think. They don't eat nearly as much, their shelters are smaller, the dosing on their worming is much less...the list goes on. Although I have had him only a short while, every indication, both from my own limited experience, and from research, is that the mini costs about a tenth of what a large horse costs, for upkeep. Oh, and the name, Miss Dixie Bluebelle is really cute! Good thing mine is a male. I might have taken your name idea! At the ranch I bought him from they were calling him Dundee, (they thought, when he was "little" that he was going to be a dun horse, but he turned out palomino, like his grandsire, who, by the way, is the horse on their home page of their website!). I'm debating about a different name for him."

I think "Dundee" is absolutely adorable. "Sir Galahad" is cute, too, or "Gizmo".

I haven't ruled out getting a miniature horse, but I have to give it a lot of thought, which I will do after we're settled in TN. Thank you for the information and advice. I appreciate it.

Of course, after reading your and other people's posts, I had to google miniature cows and fainting goats, neither of which I'd ever heard of before. They are SO cute, lol!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 06:28 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,159,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyBurglar View Post
I think "Dundee" is absolutely adorable. "Sir Galahad" is cute, too, or "Gizmo".

I haven't ruled out getting a miniature horse, but I have to give it a lot of thought, which I will do after we're settled in TN. Thank you for the information and advice. I appreciate it.

Of course, after reading your and other people's posts, I had to google miniature cows and fainting goats, neither of which I'd ever heard of before. They are SO cute, lol!!!!
Well, I still haven't made up my mind, about a possible name change. I had thought of "Reilly", but I may still keep "Dundee". It is cute. Not that he is likely to care, as long as he hears that feed bucket!

If you like horses, but you're not as much into riding, (I know I'm not much, anymore), and/or you don't want the expense of a larger horse, then the miniature is the way to go. About the only thing you can't do with them is ride them, as far as I have been able to learn.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,068 times
i too have a mini colt...check out his website...i would love to chat sometimes...hard to find someone close to home that already has one...

www.hankypankysdiamondaffair.com (broken link)

Old 03-17-2007, 07:23 PM

9,840 posts, read 20,086,063 times
Do you have a companion/guard animal for your mini? I knew a woman in SC who raised them and she kept a pair of llamas in the pasture with them to protect them from feral dogs and coyotes. Those and donkeys are supposedly good protectors.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uturn369 View Post
i too have a mini colt...check out his website...i would love to chat sometimes...hard to find someone close to home that already has one...

www.hankypankysdiamondaffair.com
UTURN, I did look at your website. What a cute little guy! I like his coloring. Is he the only one you have? I kind of thought that might be the case... I was also interested in your trailer. If I may ask, what are the dimensions of it? That is something I still need to do, is make/buy a trailer, so I have a way to haul Dundee more easily to the vet, or to hightail it out of town, in the case of a hurricane. I have been looking, but I really liked yours.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Do you have a companion/guard animal for your mini? I knew a woman in SC who raised them and she kept a pair of llamas in the pasture with them to protect them from feral dogs and coyotes. Those and donkeys are supposedly good protectors.
No, I don't have a companion, or guard animal, with him. (I do have three dogs, but since they weren't raised around horses, they are not allowed to be around him, without supervison). He is in a tightly fenced area. I have a tall privacy fence completely around my lot, and although I can't one hundred percent guarantee that a dog wouldn't try to jump the fence, it's not too likely, because of that height, (and, the cross bars are on the inside of the fence, so no toeholds, either. ). And, as I said, it's a very tight fence. No holes, and I walk the perimeter every day, as I clean up after him, to make sure everything stays that way. I live in a subdivision, and I haven't seen coyotes around here in years. He is as safe as I can make him. I even have locks on my gates, just to keep anyone from trying to come in, and harass or hurt him.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:39 AM

9,840 posts, read 20,086,063 times
That sounds as good as you can get. Personally, I was a bit afraid of the llamas but the herd of tiny horses was a hoot.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:45 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,921,886 times
this is "skippy" my brothers mini horse
he is a trip, he knows when you go to visit that you have apples for him
look at those eyes
karla

Old 03-18-2007, 09:14 AM

4,281 posts, read 9,450,521 times
I was amazed to learn that they are now using miniature horses as guides for the blind. Such smart little fellas. Only been around racehorses and I know how smart those guys are.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:22 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,309,935 times
Miniature horses are adorable! Sorry, folks, I have absolutely nothing constructive to add to the thread. But I keep thinking about the joke that goes: "Sorry, he can't talk now...he's a lttle horse". Forgive me, please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or