Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 08:45 PM

149 posts, read 762,103 times

Advertisements

I was hoping I could get some opinions here on which would suit me better. I have been debating over which kind of pet to get, since I can't seem to go very long in life without aquiring some sort of critter.
I just can't sit around pet-less while knowing there are so many pets in need of a good home, yaknow?
I'll give a bit of background info first: I am finishing up my undergraduate degree at university and I live in an apartment (1 bdrm) by myself (it allows pets). The pets I have owned before include several hamsters and turtles (as a child), fish, and 2 dogs that currently live with my parents (I would consider them to be their dogs and not my own, even though I helped raise them).

At first I was considering getting a dog, but I decided against that for a number of reasons. Dogs need the most attention, cost the most, take up more room, need to be taken outside several times a day for bathroom and exercise even in the coldest part of winter which I hate, can sometimes bark or become destructive if nervous, etc. And I sometimes must spend several hours out of the house in a day, and I feel like dogs are best with families/a pack.

So that brings me to cats, ferrets, and the other small furries. I don't care for rabbits or guinea pigs, birds or reptiles, so that's how I narrowed it down to these two. There is a rescue shelter for both in the area. I have read Ferrets for Dummies, so I have some idea of what they're like. But I still wonder which is best for my lifestyle? Which is cheaper in overall cost? Which is easier to transport when I travel to see family & friends?

This is my list so far:
Ferrets
Pros -
  • small, don't take up much space
  • don't eat as much food (as a dog)
  • curious, cute and playful
  • quiet, sleeps a lot
  • kept in a cage, reduces mess and destruction when not home
  • not allergic to them, no shedding
Cons -
  • I am not the neatest/cleanest person, and they can get into all your stuff. (I don't own very much however, being a poor student)
  • Have to ferret-proof the apartment, can't let them get into the kitchen or bedroom because of dangerous nooks and crannies
  • The smell - I Know it wouldn't bother me much but my mother is super sensitive to smells (I joke she has the nose of a dog) and she would complain constantly if she came to visit or I brought the ferret with me to her house
  • Cages are expensive! and they require cleaning
  • Ferret adoption fee is higher than for cats, and in petstores they cost even more
Cats
Pros-
  • Small, fairly quiet
  • Easy to feed, don't eat a whole lot
  • Clean themselves, no cage cleaning required (litter box n/p)
  • Sleep most of day, don't need constant attention
  • Don't need constant supervision and won't try to chew wires, clothing, etc.
  • Cheaper adoption fee, and easy to find free kittens around town
Cons -
  • Hairballs and shedding - more vaccuming required
  • Like to scratch things (carpet?) could buy a post though
  • I am technically allergic to cats, although recently it hasn't seemed to be bothering me much. I lived with my cousin for 2 weeks who had a cat, and it didn't bother me. I would have to clean more often to reduce dander but that's something I should be doing anyway
  • My father is allergic to cats I think, so I would feel bad bringing a cat with me to visit. I wonder how long cats can be left by themselves?
  • Parent's dogs would love to chase a cat. Would have to train them not to touch the kitty!
I know some people don't think undergrad students should get pets but I am actually a "rare breed". I don't drink or party and am quite responsible, and I am actually older because I took a year and a half off school so I am actually of graduate age. I am also hoping (praying?) that I will someday go to medical school.

Hmm anyway that's all I can think of at the moment. I'll probably end up with something by the end of next week. Any input is welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 07:41 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
A ferret is more work than you actually think. They do NOT sleep all day....a cat sleeps more. They are very active and need to be kept entertained in order to keep them out of trouble. We always kept a leash on ours in the house...they could find the smallest of holes to disappear in to. With the leash and harness, we could at least grab an end and save them from disappearing! They are characters and will always put a smile on your face. But they need to be socialized and handled constantly. You will need a rather large cage. We actually found a huge bird cage and my husband built levels into it for them to climb.
Smell.....yes. Even tho the scent gland on the top of the head is removed, it still produces a musky type smell. Some are more in tune to it than others...But it is there and no amt. of baths will get rid of it.
Remember, they only live 5-6 yrs. One of ours, and we had two...(which by the way is preferrable...they love company)live to be 8.
They can chew and gnaw as well as any puppy.....I always preferred females....smaller and seemed more docile. And they also shed! Small little hairs that stick into your clothes! I'm not trying to deter you from a ferret...just want you to be aware of all the facts.
Not sure where you are from...but I believe they are still illegal in Ca. Tough to find ferret food....which they require a very high protein diet, in a state where they are illegal.

I have cats as well.....and JMO, but a cat may be a tad easier on you.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:52 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,246 times
Several times in your post you mention cost and expense. Whatever pet you eventually decide to get will require veterinary care. It will require spaying/neutering, annual checkups, vaccinations, dental care...since you want to be a doctor you know how important preventive medical care is. Routine veterinary care is expensive and any health issues requiring treatment will add to the basic cost.

In addition to the commitment of providing food, water and shelter, by adopting a cat or ferret you will need to commit to providing health care too.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:19 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Some very good advice from Leorah!
Some other things that just came to mind:
Litter will need to be bought for both. I was always amazed what 2 ferrets could produce! They are easlily litter box trained...but IMO...have some of the stinkest poos and urine! Cats have nothing on them!
They can bite! We got our 2 as young kits and they were well socialized. In fact, I can't remember a time where either one of them bit anyone. My daughter was about 10 at the time and they use to love to sit on her shoulders and watch the world go by. At the same time, we went in to a vet appointment one day...the ferrets up on her shoulders...we were waiting for the vet to come in....he enters with long heavy duty rubber gloves on up to his elbows (this was our first time seeing this particular vet). He was shocked I would allow the ferrets that close to her face! He soon realized our guys were the calmest and friendliest...but he showed us a puncture wound on his hand where a ferret had bit down and wouldn't let go. Their teeth are very very sharp!
Neutering/spaying....what ever ferret you could will most likely already been done. Have never seen one intact...and are sold spayed or neutered.
They still require vacs and yearly vet visits.
Hope this helps in some small way!

Old 09-01-2008, 01:28 PM

Shelbygirl thanks so much! That really does help and I did not realize that ferrets shed or that they are quite active. I guess I was hoping they would be like extra large hamsters but then again they are not really rodents .You're idea of the leash is interesting and sounds almost comical. I am not in CA and don't ever plan on moving there so at least that's not a problem. I think I heard NYC outlaws them too.
I always expect any animal to bite, not that I encourage it but sometimes even the nicest pet can get scared and resort to biting. And I have heard about the nipping but I'm used to puppies gnawing on my arm.

Leorah, thanks for the reminder about vet costs. I didn't mention it because I automatically factored that into the equation for any animal. Neutering/spaying is a must, luckily the shelter cats and ferrets around here are already fixed. My family has poodles which always seem to have something going on where they have to go to the vet, whether it's an ear infection or lyme's disease or vomiting, etc. I even used to take my hamsters to the vet in their old age to get their teeth filed and they were prone to getting mange.

I guess the reason cost was on my mind is because just the other day I unexpectantly had to spend about a thousand dollars when my computer died, and that's in addition to recent moving costs. It's not that I can't afford vet care, but that I think it would be more wise at the moment to save the money would I spend on a ferret and cage and save it for the vet costs for a cat. The last thing I would do is neglect the health of an animal.

I think I'm leaning more towards the cat idea now. I just want to be sure that whatever I get will be the best match for both of us.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:28 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
We have five ferrets right now. One 4 year old girl has cost us about $4,000 in vet bills this year. We have a couple 8 year olds who have never had problems. 25% of ferrets will get Adrenal gland cancer, 25% will get insulnomia (diabetes) . We lost one boy to a bleeding ulcer. We have lost 5 kids in the last three years.
Young kits will seem to play all day and night, they tend to sleep for a hour and then explode for four hours. They want the older kids to play, the older kids do want to sleep more.
Ferrets require at least four hours of out of cage time each day, and they need you or a play buddy during this time. Ferrets get fussy and cranky if they do not get enough attention, they often bite when upset. They often nip (a lighter bite than the upset one) to get your attention to play. They will cuddle with you when they are older, a few of ours loved to cuddle since young but this is rare. I have been holding one for the last hour as I type.

All in all they are great pets, but they get real expensive.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:39 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasape View Post
I think I'm leaning more towards the cat idea now. I just want to be sure that whatever I get will be the best match for both of us.
Since you mentioned that you've had allergic problems to cats in the past, perhaps you could try fostering a cat from your local shelter. If you have no problems, you can adopt it. If you end up being allergic, because fostering is temporary, you can return the cat.

I have a friend who visits for a week or so every year. She's terribly allergic to cats, but for her the exposure seems to be cumulative. For the first few days she's fine and then the sniffles and itchy eyes start. Not sure why it affects her this way.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:00 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
One idea might be a skunk. Slightly larger than a ferret without as many health concerns. They have a more varied diet which you must watch for over weight. They are a one person pet and love to snuggle on your bed with you. We are going to get one when we move as they are illegal here in this state.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
We have five ferrets right now. One 4 year old girl has cost us about $4,000 in vet bills this year. We have a couple 8 year olds who have never had problems. 25% of ferrets will get Adrenal gland cancer, 25% will get insulnomia (diabetes) . We lost one boy to a bleeding ulcer. We have lost 5 kids in the last three years.
Young kits will seem to play all day and night, they tend to sleep for a hour and then explode for four hours. They want the older kids to play, the older kids do want to sleep more.
Ferrets require at least four hours of out of cage time each day, and they need you or a play buddy during this time. Ferrets get fussy and cranky if they do not get enough attention, they often bite when upset. They often nip (a lighter bite than the upset one) to get your attention to play. They will cuddle with you when they are older, a few of ours loved to cuddle since young but this is rare. I have been holding one for the last hour as I type.

All in all they are great pets, but they get real expensive.
$4,000 Seems vet care (and people care) keeps getting more expensive. I wanted to be a vet ever since I was a kid, but I decided against it because of the allergy factor.

I wouldn't want a young ferret I guess, but I don't think there are any around anyway. Most of the ones at the shelter are adult to senior. 4 hours/ day doesn't seem so bad, as I am home all morning everyday and come home all evening. The longest I am usually gone for is 6 hours. I am tempted because they sound like so much fun but if they are very demanding of attention I wonder if that would begin to get on my nerves.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Since you mentioned that you've had allergic problems to cats in the past, perhaps you could try fostering a cat from your local shelter. If you have no problems, you can adopt it. If you end up being allergic, because fostering is temporary, you can return the cat.

I have a friend who visits for a week or so every year. She's terribly allergic to cats, but for her the exposure seems to be cumulative. For the first few days she's fine and then the sniffles and itchy eyes start. Not sure why it affects her this way.
That's a really good idea. It would be like a rental. Either way I should do a test and hang around some cat(s) just to be sure. Allergies tend to be cumulative in that the greater the exposure to the allergen, the worse the reaction. I think that's why I remember being sick every time I went to a house with a cat when I was younger: where I used to live there was LOTS of tree pollen and ragweed, and throw an animal into the mix I would be terrible! And yet living here I've never had a problem, thankfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
One idea might be a skunk. Slightly larger than a ferret without as many health concerns. They have a more varied diet which you must watch for over weight. They are a one person pet and love to snuggle on your bed with you. We are going to get one when we move as they are illegal here in this state.
Lol, now there's an idea. Reminds me of a story my father told once. I think it was his dog caught a baby racoon and broke it's leg, so he took it to a vet and got it healed, and sorta adopted it as a pet. It was really cute as a baby, but when it got older it turned more feral and started to bite everyone, so he released it back into the wild. At least I think that's how it went.
Anyway, I am 99% sure my landlord would not appreciate such an exotic pet on the premises. How did you get into the skunk idea? My first thought is the smell, but I guess descenting is a must, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets