Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:38 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresaspets View Post
when i met my husband the first words from his mouth was i don't like animals in the house and my reply was well it was nice to meet you
now 9 years later we have a grand total of 33 and they all come in when they get ready and my husband lays in the floor playing with them like a child.
LMAO. My dad was the same way... he grew up in Brooklyn, and thought animals belonged outside. Thirty-something years and two cat-loving wives later, he rolls around on the floor with the kitty, combs her, and baby-talks the whole time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 07:03 AM

973 posts, read 3,304,522 times
My dad is not a fan of animals. He never wanted pets in the family but ended up with a couple by default.

He ended falling head over heels in love with my cat Gizmo. She had such a sweet and loving temperment that nobody could resist her.

Whenever my hubby and I travelled, Dad would come by everyday to check on his "Grandkids." My step-mom was always amazed that somebody who professed to only tolerate animals practically fell over himself to cuddle his Grandcat!

Gizmo is no longer with us but the newest kitty is Emme, who looks amazingly like Gizmo. Dad called the other day to ask when I was going to send him photos of his Grandcat!

Old 10-14-2008, 11:58 AM

My old cat's name was Gizmo too... hence the name, which apparently inspired you too.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:26 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
My dogs are an integral part of my life... like needing food to live. Granted, not having them won't kill me, but life wouldn't be something worth getting up in the morning for. Loving my dogs and rescuing other dogs is my purpose, my calling. I will do this as long as I'm physically able to.

Whomever I date, has to understand that my dogs are permanent, and that there will be other dogs in the future. That to marry me, means that my partner accepts that dogs will be part of his life, too.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:48 PM

426 posts, read 1,570,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
when you pry it from my cold dead fingers you can have my beta.
LMAO! I'm with the rest of you, love me love my animals! Or at least tolerate them. And accept the fact that I do rescue, and will always be the spouse that brings home the abandoned kitten, puppy, horse...

People that give up their pets for a boyfriend or girlfriend, makes me wonder what other sacrifices they're making for this person? You really have to take care of yourself first, and what YOU value, not deny yourself to please others....but I digress.

And if you (my potential date) are allergic....tough! Now if my future kids are allergic, that would be a tough one. That would be heartbreaking really.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
LMAO! I'm with the rest of you, love me love my animals! Or at least tolerate them. And accept the fact that I do rescue, and will always be the spouse that brings home the abandoned kitten, puppy, horse...

People that give up their pets for a boyfriend or girlfriend, makes me wonder what other sacrifices they're making for this person? You really have to take care of yourself first, and what YOU value, not deny yourself to please others....but I digress.

And if you (my potential date) are allergic....tough! Now if my future kids are allergic, that would be a tough one. That would be heartbreaking really.
If it's any consolation, I am allergic to cats, dogs and birds - and I currently live with 3 kitties and 2 dogs. I've built up a tolerance over the years, especially with my own pets, so it's not too bothersome. It only gets REALLY bad when I'm already sick (with a cold/flu/etc), and then I just pop an ephedrine pill to clear my sinuses. Oh, but my allergy to birds is much more severe, and I did have to re-home my parrot as a result. But I had the option of taking allergy shots, which I would have done if parrots didn't live 80+ years. Anyway, sorry to get off-topic, but I agree with the rest of your post too!

Old 10-16-2008, 07:00 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
LOL...Luckily, for me, my husband loves our pets as much as I. But I tease him all the time..."Don't make me choose"!

Old 10-16-2008, 08:04 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,291 times
I will be honest I don't like my wife's dog, I mean at all. However I don't treat the dog badly and we are able to separate feelings for each other than my feelings for her dog. I am not some one who hates animals, we have cats and other dogs. I think there is no reason if you care about a person that you should be able to work to some kind solution.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,639 times
Cool not parting with any babies

I'm new here and just found this thread. There is no way I would choose to part with my babies for a guy. My husband and I met when he came to visit my roommate. I introduced myself and my cats and said "these are my babies. Give them anything they want.' He fell in love with my monsters and me. (amazing really)
16 years later we have 4 cats and 2 raccoons indoors. One indoor/outdoor squirrel, and an aviary outside full of birds. Oh, and 2 fishtanks - one that is saltwater. The coons do try to go fishing...
My husband would never ask me to part with one baby (allthough the coonies do try his patience.)

Old 10-19-2008, 01:24 PM

426 posts, read 1,570,564 times
Gizmo, I know what you mean - I'm allergic too, mostly to cats and horses. Didn't stop me from owning cats and riding horses like crazy as a kid. Some people are lucky and will acclimate to their own animals. I'm allergic to my cat, but I only notice it if I go away for a few days and come back, it takes a day or 2 to get used to her again. Or when she sleeps on my pillow even though she knows it's off-limits. Claritin is my friend!

Chased, you have raccoons?! That is so cool. I've always wanted a pet fox...wonder if I'd be allergic to that, lol.

"I think there is no reason if you care about a person that you should be able to work to some kind solution. "

So true. More folks on both sides of this debate would do well to follow this! I see a lot of non-animal people with no respect for animals (you can respect them don't have to love them), I also see a lot of animal people with no respect for humans. It's a balance, or it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets