Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 09:22 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,008,955 times

Advertisements

Where I'm at in the country, people just drop of dogs and leave them all the time.

A few days ago I was outside working and my neighbor pulled up with a tiny puppy in his van. He asked if I knew who she belonged to.
I went over to see and found a 2-3 month old hungry, sick, cold puppy. She's on antibiotics now and doing a lot better.
She's laying in my lap asleep right now... like I need another dog!

If he hadn't found her she would probably have frozen to death by now.

It amazes me how cruel people are.

Last edited by World Citizen; 11-08-2008 at 09:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 09:30 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,017,532 times
Good posts all- i too am an animal lover, rescuer, and "softie" I'm the person who when I see a bug crawling at work, in the office or warehouse, take it outside to hopefully save its life. I got yelled at at work when on my lucnh break saw 3 baby mice fighting for their lives in the parking lot. 3 other had been killed, as was momma mouse, but I took them in to my office, kept them safe and warm, until my fiance came and took them to the wildlife in need center, where a surragate mother mouse cared forthem.
I am appalled at the number of poor critters I see on the roads each day going too and from work. One was a poor kitty that got spooked and ran out jst 2 feet into a busy road. Nothing I could do, but on my way home 4 hours later no one bothered to take it's body off the road. Are people that self-important, cold, indifferent to slow down for2-3 seconds to save alife?
Anyways my .02

Old 11-08-2008, 11:22 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,346,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Where I'm at in the country, people just drop of dogs and leave them all the time.

A few days ago I was outside working and my neighbor pulled up with a tiny puppy in his van. He asked if I knew who she belonged to.
I went over to see and found a 2-3 month old hungry, sick, cold puppy. She's on antibiotics now and doing a lot better.
She's laying in my lap asleep right now... like I need another dog!

If he hadn't found her she would probably have frozen to death by now.

It amazes me how cruel people are.
You have a new puppy?!

Old 11-09-2008, 05:27 AM

4,096 posts, read 11,423,787 times
That is how we got our Fred-Fred who was with us over 15 years. He was a kitten sitting on the side of a busy hiway next to a huge cornfield. I had to yell for almost a mile my "oblivious" husband to stop and get him. Took almost to long to get him to turn around and stop but Fred was still there just sitting and looking at cars and ran up and jumped in my arms and was ours from then on.

I think my husband is afraid he wont know what to do, will get attached, doesnt want to see bad things,etc. It is something that happened when he was young working on a farm I think. But he is a good soft hearted owner to the boys we now have and have had for 35 years. So he balances me

Old 11-09-2008, 11:02 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,719,678 times
Nice to see that so many people care about animals like that!

Last month, I noticed a cat walking into my backyard. She was going kinda slow, but I couldn't tell if she was a stray or just someone's cat. An hour later, I saw her laying in the back brush area. I thought she may be pregnant. I walked up to her, she was clearly sick and confused and shaking. Talked to my husband, tried to decide what to do. We have our own cat, so we were nervous about bringing her in and possibly spreading disease. We tried calling animal control, they said we could drive there, pick up a TRAP and bring the cat in to be put down!

I called a vet to ask for advice, they said "well, animal control is your only choice, no one is going to take responsibility for that cat." So, we brought here in to the vet ourselves, found out she had a terrible infection and was starved and dehydrated. They thought she had a chance, but passed away that evening. Although it took hours of time and a few hundred in vet bills and she didn't even make it, I think we did the right thing. The poor kitty was so sick and frightened, I hope in her final hours she at least knew someone tried to help. If my cat ever got lost I would hope someone else would at least give her a chance.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:21 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,418,964 times
I've stopped for dogs before. One was reunited with his owner by a simple phone call, though getting that phone number off the tag was a challenge. Others I was able to just walk a block or two down the street. There have been some that got away. I couldn't find them once I was able to turn around and I can only hope they found their own way home.

These days I'm so loaded up with children and strollers in my car that it wouldn't be as easy to pop a dog into the back like before. Fortunately, I haven't come across any wandering pooches in a long time.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:16 AM

573 posts, read 1,684,762 times
.....I've literally just came back from the vet and am glad I found this post. I found "kitty" on my roof a week or so ago....I stupidly kept her inside and outside, hoping that during the day she might find her owner. Tom cat must have gotten her, and her eye is damaged.

Vet is now cauterizing her eye muscle and making a third eyelid for her....for the tune of $700. I drove home crying just now, wondering how in the world am I going to pay for yet another stray dog/cat/animal that has been hurt.

I've often wondered myself how people can just watch an animal play in traffic or even look at a stray in the eyes without wondering how he/she will get her next meal. Many of my friends are convinced about the before-mentioned "welcome sign" that must be planted squarely on my forehead for any animal that needs help.

When talking w/ my friend on the way home from the vet, she made a good point. Somehow, I always find a way. I'm going to be broke till Christmas paying this vet bill, but so what. Maybe I won't buy Christmas gifts this year. Maybe I'll have a yard sale. It always evens out in the end, she said.

I think God or some other higher power just knows that myself and others on this board will find a way, and that is why these animals cross our paths. I need to keep reminding myself that MY animals are all relatively healthy, and I should feel blessed. I forget that sometimes when I end up w/ these strays that require so much vet attention. If only I could find strays that are healthy to begin with!

Sorry about the long windedness....still suffering sticker shock from the vet.....and thank you everyone on here for being those animals' best friends. They need you, more than you'll ever know.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:41 AM

53 posts, read 330,922 times
It's nice to hear that others feel the same and help animals! Thank you to everyone that helps!

Old 11-10-2008, 08:04 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,008,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Good posts all- i too am an animal lover, rescuer, and "softie" I'm the person who when I see a bug crawling at work, in the office or warehouse, take it outside to hopefully save its life. I got yelled at at work when on my lucnh break saw 3 baby mice fighting for their lives in the parking lot. 3 other had been killed, as was momma mouse, but I took them in to my office, kept them safe and warm, until my fiance came and took them to the wildlife in need center, where a surragate mother mouse cared forthem.
I am appalled at the number of poor critters I see on the roads each day going too and from work. One was a poor kitty that got spooked and ran out jst 2 feet into a busy road. Nothing I could do, but on my way home 4 hours later no one bothered to take it's body off the road. Are people that self-important, cold, indifferent to slow down for2-3 seconds to save alife?
Anyways my .02
I hate it when ladybugs come inside to die. I'm the worst about bringing them outside to "save" them... I really wish I knew how to build them a "winter habitat"!

I guess I draw the line at mice... even though they're adorable. Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
You have a new puppy?!
Yep.... it's a minature dog - a toy breed. I've never in my thought that I'd want to have a toy breed but this little girl already has 3 outfits!
I got her a little denim western dress thing today and she just jumped around in it like she knew how cute she was. Maybe I should name her Barbie???

She's feeling much better now having a few days of antibiotics, lots of good food and a warm place to live.

Teaching my big puppy boy how to play with something this small is the big challenge. He really does try to be gentle....

Old 11-13-2008, 05:32 PM

573 posts, read 1,684,762 times
Oh no.....once you have one of those tiny dogs, you'll never stop buying outfits. Or tiaras. Or bonnets. Trust me on this one. Those things are just too cute to pass up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets