U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2011, 12:58 PM

296 posts, read 260,655 times

Advertisements

Yes, it's important to me. I try my best to help in any way that I can when I see an injured or lost animal. I had a family member who chained up their dog and really neglected her in all sense. I couldn't take it! I asked to have her and they gladly let her go. She lived chain-free, had plenty of yard to roam around, lots of water and fresh food now that she lived with me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 06:47 PM

17,844 posts, read 7,887,352 times
Well being animal lovers of course this is important to us, as is with many of you. When we see an injured animal, my daughter will pull her car over, and stay with the animal, until help arrives, or if the animal is in very bad shape, yes my grown daughter has to stay with the animal, not wanting it to be by itself when it passes.

What angers me most, is people who do take advantage of animals, and act is if the animal is of no importance at all, that sickens me actually.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:34 AM

2,065 posts, read 2,468,757 times
Yes, it is absolutely important to me, I care a lot about animals, and honestly I cannot understand people who don't.

The overwhelming majority of animals wouldn't hesitate helping, often even risking themselves, to save/help their human/animal family/friends.

It is only natural humans should do the same. Unfortunately, not every human has the noble heart animals do.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:11 PM

17,844 posts, read 7,887,352 times
Does this count hopefully this does. My daughter and i saved 4 baby birdies. I was going out there every day and seeing them in a nest and their Mom would come and go with food. This was recent,
i would go out there every day see how the little guys were doing, and that their mom was still there for them. One day i went out there, and started yelling for my daughter, well 2 of the baby birds were now on my patio, oh my gosh i freaking had a panic attack. As i am looking up at the nest to make sure the other 2 were still there, i had a heart attack, did not see them there, I look around the corner from my patio, and there are the other 2. My daughter and i did not know what to do, no way we could get them back into the nest, and did not want any animals killing them, nor our pets.

We got a huge box, put the babies in it, made a top for the box, with holes, but did not want predators seeing them, so hid them under a table. The next day went out there they were all there, but the mom was going literally crazy, flying back and forth looking for the babies. She looked everywhere except this dang box. Finally she was on a lawn chair, looked down and saw the babies, we were so happy. A little while later she came back with food for them, even in the box, This happened for two weeks, at the start of the 3rd week i was hearbroken, i called my daughter, the little guys guess they did not like their hotel stay. So they were fluttering, and practicing flying, i was hearbroken when i saw the first one, take off and fly away. After 3 weeks birds know how to fly, i was confused. The next day, the others flew away, and i was just glad that we were able to help.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:06 PM

441 posts, read 547,080 times
I wouldn't turn my back on any animal or person in need of help.

Sometimes its been too late to help, and I have sat at the side of the road with someone's pet cat in my arms for its last few minutes.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:04 PM

5,500 posts, read 6,672,066 times
Well, people aren't worth any more than animals, I guess. Last year I tripped and fell and broke my lower back, laid in the street ( a side street with no traffic, thank God), screamins and crying for help. although I understood later many people heard me, no one bothered to look or help. I had my cell phone, called 911, an ambulance, fire, and police came screaming up, still, not a single neighbor bothered to look out their windows. Not a single neighbor bothered to see if I needed help, or my chldren were left home alone---btw, many were involved in a Bible study group at the time. Must set priorities!

I wasn't worth any more than that little dog! If it weren't for my cell phone and Blue Cross card, I could have been there yet!

Old 04-09-2011, 05:49 PM

441 posts, read 547,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Well, people aren't worth any more than animals, I guess. Last year I tripped and fell and broke my lower back, laid in the street ( a side street with no traffic, thank God), screamins and crying for help. although I understood later many people heard me, no one bothered to look or help. I had my cell phone, called 911, an ambulance, fire, and police came screaming up, still, not a single neighbor bothered to look out their windows. Not a single neighbor bothered to see if I needed help, or my chldren were left home alone---btw, many were involved in a Bible study group at the time. Must set priorities!

I wasn't worth any more than that little dog! If it weren't for my cell phone and Blue Cross card, I could have been there yet!
Your experience is shocking, I don't understand how society can turn their back on someone in need but sadly it isn't uncommon these days.

I always check on people who look to be in difficulty, most have been drunk or drugged, sorry but I lose my patience with these people, live by the sword - died by the sword. I only walk away if they are abusive or insist they are okay.

When I was a child about 12, I came home for lunch, typical kid I didn't want the sandwiches my mum had packed up for me so I put the frying pan on to do a fried egg sandwich.

While the pan was heating up I decided to practise my piano pieces You guessed it the pan was on fire by the time I went back into the kitchen. I couldn't find the key to the back door so I ran through the house to the front door, with the blazing pan in my hand. As I opened the front door the wind blew the flames back at me I was screaming and threw the pan but some of the fat spilled over me. Not a sole to be seen.

With minutes of me getting back into the house I heard a horn toot, it was the fruit and veg van, no kidding people came from everywhere to buy their fruit and veg. Never did get my egg sandwich.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:35 PM

6,156 posts, read 9,337,098 times
one of the problems in the us i think...(and possibly elsewhere) is here...people will press charges for random reasons...)

i have a friend, an EMT, she whent on a call, and had to perform cpr in the ambulance on the way to the hospital...
the ambulace hit a pothole as she was doing a compression and she hit too hard, ended up Bruising 1 rib...
she did however save the guys life...it was made very clear that had she not continued cpr for the trip, he would have died...

however he then proceded to file a claim for damaged for his bruised rib...not for medical costs, his insurance paid it all...just for "anguish" form the bruised rib...
luckily they fought it and the guy was only awareded money for 2 weeks medical leave from work, which being an emt was actually covered by her state licensing insurance...however had she not had that coverage she would be out about $10,000 for laywers feed and his monetary compensation...

i couldnt belive it...in savinging his life she actually got in trouble...

now could you imagine a normal person in that situation, someone who doesnt have the backup for state laywers and insurance coverage...

i am first aid cpr certified...
but now...if someones in trouble i call 911 and wait with them untill the ambulance arrives i refuse to try and move, stabalize or anythign else for that matter...not my job...
i would do hands only in an absolute emergency, but only with a witness present to account for me that there was no other option...

its a sad world we live in when even people whos job it is to save peoples lives can have lawsuits filed against them for doing just that...

so i DO understand why some people walk away...doesnt mean its right...doesnt mean thats the way it should be...
just that unforutnatly...there are people who do file lawsuits against good samaritans for simply trying to help.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:22 PM

11,243 posts, read 8,226,484 times
While driving for takeout yesterday evening we saw a turtle trying to cross the road. It was on the side of the road and was stopped looking as we drove past it. There was a car behind us and more coming in the opposite direction. Stopping was not an option. I've walked this road and its winding and traffic can be bad like it was at that time. At that particular spot it was around a turn and visibility was poor. This also wasn't a box turtle, it was a snapping turtle. You can't pick them up except by the tail and this thing was fairly big. There was a stream and a swamp behind it but it wanted to cross into some woods by a golf course. Trying to stop traffic to help it cross or to chase it back the way it came would have most likely caused an accident or resulted in being hit by a car. We went to the take out place and came back. It was smashed and had been dragged off to the side of the road.
We've stopped the car and helped other turtles cross roads, helped a duck and ducklings cross, but this was just not the turtles day.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:46 AM

6,156 posts, read 9,337,098 times
that is true icy, sometimes its just too dangerous for many reasons to help, large snappers, wild animals ect...

as a side note, to anyone helping tutles and tortoise cross the road, always cross it in the direction it was heading! never turn it around, they are highly territorial and incredibly stubborn, if you put him back on the side he started on he will simply try and cross again in a few minutes.
also never remove a turtle or tortoise from where you find it unless its trying to cross the road, as they will spend the rest of thier life trying to get back to their home...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets