Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:58 AM

973 posts, read 3,304,931 times

Advertisements

I had this in another forum but think I should have placed it here instead. I'd like for folks to think more about how INACTION can affect another. Sometimes, getting involved will only take a few minutes of your time but can have a lasting effect......................

Originally Posted October 24th.

I was out running errands today, here in Charlotte, but I decided to spare some of my time to help. I only wish others would take the time to do the same. It upsets me to realize how some people can be so self-absorbed that they can't spare a few minutes of their precious time to help.
I'm sitting here, waiting on my jacket to dry before heading out on my vacation. My hubby is patiently waiting on me. We should have left an hour ago but I decided to write to you. Here's my story..............

I found a dog today.

He was wandering the streets. Alone, starving and terrified.
There was a huge traffic back-up on Tryon St. near Harris Blvd. while people watched this little dog dodging cars, trying to find it's way home. Nobody would spare a moment of their precious time to help.

Well, I found him! I watched helplessly as he dodged cars and trucks, desperate to find his way home or at least, to a safe place. Car after car drove by, ambivilant and uncaring. They were too busy running to choir practice, work, school, the salon or wherever to take a moment to help.

I prayed that he would be safe till I could inch my car closer and scoop him up. God listened and as I blocked traffic, I got out and called to him. He was so grateful for a friendly face that he came right to me. I held him close and got back in my car, soaking wet from the downpour I had to walk through to save his small life. It was of no consequence to me. Clothes can be washed but once a small life is snuffed out in traffic, it is gone for good.

As I drove to the vet's office, I felt his ribs protruding and it broke my heart. He didn't get that painfully thin quickly. Apparently, he's starved for many days. How many people looked on as they drove or walked by this poor animal? Did anyone give a seconds thought to the suffering or fear? Such a sweet, friendly dog yet nobody would spare a few moments to give him food or shelter. It only takes a moment. Less time than it takes to paint your nails or wash your car.

I looked for an ID but there was nothing on his pretty collar. Since he had a collar, I knew he belonged to someone. I took him to my vet's office and they will care for him until the shelter can pick him up. I wish I could keep him but I know that he must have an owner somewhere.

This could have been your dog. Do you ever wonder what would happen to your beloved pet if it escaped the yard? Would anyone even care enough to watch out for them while they tried to find a way to return him to you? Maybe people would do like these folks did to this dog and just figure it wasn't their problem. Maybe they care but don't want to spare the time. Perhaps they don't want to chance scratches on their car interior.

The next time you are out walking or driving and you see a little animal running down the road, ask yourself, can I save a life today? Would I want someone to save MY pet's life? If you do, please spare a moment of your time. Catch it and take it to a vet's office or the shelter. At least it will have a chance. Someday, your own pet may find itself lost and hopefully someone out there will care enough to try and get your pet safely home to you.

At least that little dog is safe. Now I have to try and find the owners of the beautiful but starving cat that showed up at my house the other day. Does it ever end? I wonder if that cat is better off with the shelter than the owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 12:17 PM

77 posts, read 234,426 times
It breaks my heart to see animals abandoned or unprotected. Yes, I too stop if I see one too close to the road. I also stop for garbage bags at the side of the road that look like they're moving. It's horrible how little people see or do.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Gandhi

Old 11-03-2008, 01:17 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
That WAS my dog before we adopted her.
It will never be her again though as we care enough about her to take proper care of her. She is microchipped and wears a tag with our name and number on it. She goes out on a leash on walks or plays in our fenced in yard.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:37 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,510 times
Yes, but never would I bring them to a municipal shelter. I list the animal in writing as found at the appropriate shelter, but after having had a lot of experience with the outcome of animals at most shelters, I figure out another solution for housing the animal as we wait for an owner to show up. When they don't ever show, then the animal can be placed through a rescue organization, being fostered in a home in the meantime.

They are not necessarily "safe" at a shelter, and frankly I've met fewer animals who were safer at the shelter I used to deal with than they were on the street. "Oops, we accidentally euthanized it, forgot to print out the bottom of the file with your number on it". "Oops, we thought it had mange, so we euthanized it". "Oops, someone left the cage open and the cat is gone". "Oops, it got pneumonia and died". "Oops, we forgot to give it flea treatment and it died of anemia".

Old 11-03-2008, 09:18 PM

702 posts, read 2,523,908 times
Yes, yes, and yes.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:38 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
The last one I wrangled was a Great Dane who just kept jumping in front of the cars. The owners were not far away, just sitting on their porch a block or so from where their dog was .

My husband worries that one of these days I'll get bitten, but I can't help it, I can't leave them out there.

We - humans - domesticated the dogs, we are now their caretakers and we need to act accordingly...all of us .

Old 11-04-2008, 12:15 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,458 times
You are not alone. We are the same way too. With our last foster dog...I was so angry, b/c I felt so many people looked the other way. I have to watch myself when I get into that mode...I start to fall into a jaded fog. All this dog needed was a friendly face and encouragement to approach a human. She too had been aimlessly roaming for days.

Maybe our random acts of kindness will catch on. I also remind myself that at least my conscious will be clean. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:25 PM

400 posts, read 1,238,423 times
Animals are innocents and should always be protected and cared for.

We're softies too.

My husband stopped traffic for a duck and her 12 ducklings to get across a busy street. People in cars were laughing their a**es off, but they stopped.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:21 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
My house seems to have a welcome sign that only animals can see. And we always do our very best to help them on their journey. That's how we've wound up with 10 dogs of our own that for one reason or another weren't adoptable.

Most recently was the most adorable little beagle/bassett/blue tick hound mix. She was super young - maybe 7 weeks - dumped in the middle of a road with her litter. She was the only one we could catch.

We took her home and cleaned her up. She was so loaded with fleas that she'd dug holes in her body scratching at them. We got her to the vet and got her vaccinations and put her on anti-biotics for the open sores from scratching. Started her on monthly flea and heartworm medications. Got some food in her and fattened her up.

She was terrified of people when we brought her home. It took a couple months, but she came out of her shell and was such a wonderful, loving little snuggle puppy. We had her spayed and 2 weeks later my daughter's boyfriend asked if he could have her.

Usually we require a signed and approved adoption application and adoption agreement. We also require a vet reference and a fenced yard. We made an exception in this case since we knew them personally. But we did stress that she could not be used as a hunting dog other than in trials for fun, she could not be an outside dog, and she must always be walked on a leash. And if for any reason at all they couldn't keep her she must be returned to us.

I got an e-mail from my daughter this morning. Her BFs father was going to get the mail yesterday and Lexi ran past him out the front door. He ran in to get his shoes to chase her. By the time he caught up she'd run in the road and been hit by a car. That poor little puppy that we thought we'd saved wound up losing her life because we made an exception. The guilt is so overwhelming. When we began rescuing dogs and cats we put the rules in place for a reason. And because we broke them a precious little girl lost her life. I've just been sick all day.

Not sure how this winds up tying into the original post anymore. Just kind of came out I guess. Yes, we do what we can for those that are lost or homeless. But at the end of the day I guess we're human and we make mistakes too.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:12 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post

Not sure how this winds up tying into the original post anymore. Just kind of came out I guess. Yes, we do what we can for those that are lost or homeless. But at the end of the day I guess we're human and we make mistakes too.
So sad, Mrs1885 . I don't think you made a mistake, some things just happen. You knew the person and you gave him all the rules you would have given anyone else. Puppies escape, it happens. Please don't blame yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets