U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 12:38 AM

4,166 posts, read 5,382,661 times

Advertisements

We have more and more "boomers" in our neighborhood today. The "booming" car & home stereo systems sure affect our cats.

When our neighbors play their stereos, our cats get restless and look really uncomfortable. Sometimes, they squint their eyes a lot. I know the "noise" must be affecting them.

Sometimes, when the "booms" and "vibes" get really bad....we hear dogs cry out and bark non-stop all around us. I'm sure the "booms" must affect them too. It's sad.

The "booms" and "vibes" sure drive us crazy and rattle our nerves. Our city doesn't have a strong noise ordinance so we can't do much about it. I just wondered if anyone else has this same type of problem. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 12:41 AM

P/S: Are your pets affected by other noises too...besides stereo systems? Thanks, Claire

Old 05-23-2009, 08:30 PM

17,398 posts, read 21,234,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
We have more and more "boomers" in our neighborhood today. The "booming" car & home stereo systems sure affect our cats.

When our neighbors play their stereos, our cats get restless and look really uncomfortable. Sometimes, they squint their eyes a lot. I know the "noise" must be affecting them.

Sometimes, when the "booms" and "vibes" get really bad....we hear dogs cry out and bark non-stop all around us. I'm sure the "booms" must affect them too. It's sad.

The "booms" and "vibes" sure drive us crazy and rattle our nerves. Our city doesn't have a strong noise ordinance so we can't do much about it. I just wondered if anyone else has this same type of problem. Thanks!
Fortunately, they're cracking down on these Noise Terrorists all across the country. Check out noisefree.org or lowertheboom.org and you'll be surprised at what various cities, counties and states are doing to contain this worldwide epidemic. If you think it's bad here, try Latin America from the border of Mexico to the tip of southern Chile. They're omnipresent!

Yes, you can do something about it. Here, in Las Vegas, I've sent information on the harmful effects of noise to our city and county representatives, all the police chiefs, and noise packages to all 67 state legislators and I've gone to the Police substations for their input. They told me there, if you can get the license plate number and address, they'll go over and talk to these Noise Terrorists. I'm lucky to live in a townhouse complex with a strong association, which I'm active in. Here, we issue noise violation letters, along with fines, and after 3 violations letters they're evicted from the community.

I'd urge you to call 911 or the police repeatedly until they get the message.
When a boom car passes my house, I look upon it as a robbery, they have robbed me of the peace and quiet I'm entitled to. So tell the police you and your pets have been robbed or, better yet, assaulted. And don't give up!

In many cities and counties in this country, they are actually impounding some of these vehicles, doing on-the-spot confiscation of their stereo systems, hefty fines, jail time and temporary loss of their driver's licenses.

New York City has done the most of any big city. Mayor Bloomberg has been on a quest to make NYC the quietest big city in the U.S. with striking results.
There you'll even see signs in the residential areas: $350 fine for honking your horn. Car alarms now illegal. I was there recently and never heard a boom car even in Harlem! Awesome! They have their Operation Silent Night campaigns where unmarked police cars will park at a busy intersection at night and pull over these Noise Terrorists, one after the other. Waste of Police officers time? In the process, many of these Noise Criminals are found to have outstanding warrants against them.

So don't give up! If all else fails, we're all born with an abundance of creativity and imagination. Use it if you have to! But don't get caught!

Old 05-27-2009, 11:00 PM

tijlover:

Thanks for your great post! Sorry that I didn't respond sooner. Good for you for being such an activist! Will check back and write more when I can! Thanks again!!

Old 05-28-2009, 05:36 AM

2,593 posts, read 3,570,797 times
I think it does negatively affect them. My last car was a '96 GT Mustang with a magnaflow exhaust that was extremely loud, that was when I was younger & into loud, fast cars. Anyway, my dog was always very nervous while riding in that car with me. I have a Mazda3 now & he seems content riding in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or