Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:35 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,244,118 times

Advertisements

For starters, I love dogs and somewhat like cats.

As far as my parents go, my father's side of the family (aunts and uncles) all liked pets and have had dogs and cats at one time or another.

On my mother's side of the family, all of them dislike pets and dogs, and all of them "shoo" them away. To me, this is incomprenhesible. I point out that dogs help the blind, help the police, help find lost people, and generally provide companionship and protection for (elderly) people. It's of no use.

Do you know people like this? Personally, I think that someone who categorically dislikes domestic animals has something a little off with them. Any thoughts?

Old 01-14-2009, 10:08 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,388,182 times
Every body is different.

You might get more response on the Relationship board....

Old 01-15-2009, 02:35 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,835,607 times
No, I don't know anyone like this, and I'm glad I don't. I could not relate to them at all. Animals add so much to my life.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:14 AM

573 posts, read 1,684,496 times
I'm the type that picks up strays here and there, and whenever I see a dog/cat/whatever wandering, I hit the brakes.

BUT.....I don't like lima beans. And I imagine that there are people in this world that LOVE LOVE LOVE lima beans. People are people.

If someone doesn't like animals, I assume they've had a traumatic experience, or perhaps may just be afraid. I wouldn't boot them out of my life or anything. However, I don't think I could have a close intimate relationship with someone who "hated" animals. That just wouldn't happen. But in general, I still have people that have a look of terror in their eyes approaching my door as my dogs (one 90+ lbs.) rush to give them their version of a greeting......

Old 01-15-2009, 12:34 PM

35,913 posts, read 30,465,349 times
Some people just dont like animals. My mom didnt. I have a SIL like that too. Come to think of it my brother is kind of like that. I dont understand it. Im animal stupid. They use to call me Elly May Clampett.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:35 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,283,896 times
I can see not like some types of animals, most people like dogs. There are certain types/breeds of dogs I don't care for though. I know many people that don't like cats, they say they are sneaky or they jump on counters or spray the house.

Or if you got bit by a dog so I can see not liking dogs. But with any fear, you have to face it and get it over with.

Most people who don't like animals are clean freaks - and consider all animals to be dirty (i.e. hair, slobber, etc). Face it, you have to put up with a little dirt to have animals (exc. fish). And there are some people that cannot tolerate ANYthing less than a sterile environment.

A person I know is like this, her home smells like chlorine bleach all the time. Unfortunately, the spouse talked her into get a dog on several occasions, she could not tolerate it for more than 6 months and they ended up getting rid of them both.... hey, better that than keeping the dog locked in the laundry room or something like that it's whole life.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:46 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,489,188 times
My mother in law not only dislikes pets but is scared of them. I am not sure where that came from. I use to not hate cats but didnlt really like them . Then I married my wife ;who always did. I now really like cats and find them to be different than dogs but very family oriented. They will never be like dogs who are subvserviant to their owners . Cats are very smart and more likely to be a equal.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:49 PM

22,181 posts, read 29,145,284 times
I couldn't imagine being around people like that. We would have nothing in common and whats the point in that?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:59 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,268,818 times
I HATE HATE my wife's dog. That said in my life I have taken in 4 stray cats and adopted 2 dogs from shelters.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:26 AM

331 posts, read 1,381,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
For starters, I love dogs and somewhat like cats.

As far as my parents go, my father's side of the family (aunts and uncles) all liked pets and have had dogs and cats at one time or another.

On my mother's side of the family, all of them dislike pets and dogs, and all of them "shoo" them away. To me, this is incomprenhesible. I point out that dogs help the blind, help the police, help find lost people, and generally provide companionship and protection for (elderly) people. It's of no use.

Do you know people like this? Personally, I think that someone who categorically dislikes domestic animals has something a little off with them. Any thoughts?
i absolutely do, i have an Aunt like that, i won't even go into how much i cannot stand her, that's something other than this thread LOL. TO stay on-topic, She gets all huffy with my sister when her dog jumps up on the arm of the chair (my Dad and sister are not very good about trimming the dog's nails) so when she gets scratched, and bleeds a little, she makes a big fuss about it just to make my sister feel bad (she's mentally handicapped, and Aunt treats her like she's 2, and knows nothing)
going just slightly OT, this Aunt is a B with an itch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets