U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 04:41 PM

543 posts, read 2,103,881 times

Advertisements

Hello

Do any of you own rabbits? If so, what has been your experience with them?

My family just purchased a little netherland dwarf rabbit today. This will be our first rabbit that we have owned in several years and I'm a little rusty on what to do. We did manage to do some internet research on this particular breed prior to purchasing her. She has the complete setup as far as shelter, food, toys, etc. Dolly will be kept indoors as our pet.

I normally post over in the dog section because we also have a jack russell terror that is part of our family. We will definately keep the two seperated for the safety of little Dolly.

If you have any advice to offer, I would be grateful!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 11:25 PM

52 posts, read 225,710 times
Congrats on your new Furbaby! My best advice is to handle your bunny every day. The more you interact with your bunny, the friendlier they become. Bunnies are also social creatures, they need lots of company. Timothy hay is important for their digestion. They also need a salt lick as well. Our bunny is litter box trained which makes clean up a breeze! It is not difficult to litter train them. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2009, 06:56 AM

Thanks! We have been giving our little Dolly the Timothy hay plus her food. We are also giving her the fruit treats but not very much.

She's precious.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:54 AM

2,514 posts, read 5,153,096 times
Our Netherland Dwarf lived for 8 yrs and was the best rabbit. I took her to preschool (teacher at time), and the children just loved her. I could put her on her back in my lap to trim her nails. She was kept indoors, but loved going outside in a rabbit pen (supervised). Besides plenty of hay, don't forget alphalpha. I'll have to look up some pictures of my dearly missed Cinder. Enjoy your bunny and please post some pics.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:01 AM

Old 01-20-2009, 04:01 PM

10,091 posts, read 35,737,430 times
Oh what a cutie! We had one very similar for years until he passed of all age. I also recommend handling him/her daily. And litter box training almost seems to come natural for them. Good luck with the "new kid'!

Old 01-20-2009, 07:15 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,153,096 times
What an adorable bunny! Ours was very close to her color and changed as he got older to a darker color.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:29 PM

1,005 posts, read 4,938,761 times
Oh how cute! I had one that lived 8 years also (Blossom). She was litterbox trained as well. She played with my dog and cats. My dog was protective of her and my cats wrestled with her a bit. But if you have cats, don't let them bite the rabbit.. even playfully as the bacteria in their mouths will kill them. Mine roamed around the house when we were home. They are very sweet and love attention. I put a fake rabbit (stuffed animal) in with her.. which she seemed to like. My rabbit required her teeth cut often though. I hated to take her to the vet to do this.. but they can get very long (curl) if not taken care of. My rabbit was a discard from my neighbor and they never took care of the right diet. I would make sure they have something to file down their teeth or this could happen.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:57 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,456,490 times
I used to have house rabbits and the best book was "House Rabbit Handbook: How to Live with an Urban Rabbit" by Marinell Harriman

Old 01-28-2009, 05:07 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,743,553 times
When you say family, I assume you have children You should try getting them involved in 4h! Most clubs have monthly meetings, and then have seperate meetings for just people involved with rabbits, horses, swine etc. so you're going to get individualized attention and have a very knowledgable leader to ask questions. Plus, it's a great program, and will let you be involved with other families that also have bunnies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets