U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:42 PM

44 posts, read 156,364 times

Advertisements

We drove from CT to Charlotte in two days stopping in Va for the night. I had checked for pet friendly hotel chains before we left. We had two 15 years old cats and a big white shepperd. My husband had the two cats in a carrier in one car and the dog in I were in another.

I put a big feather bed on the back seat so my dog was very comfy and he was on doggy downers. However the cats cried the entire trip and one was so nervous he pooped on himself andhis brother. Needless to say it was not a pleassant tri for my hubby from then on.

The worst part was washing two big chubby cats covered in **** in the hotel bathroom with a tiny little bottle of shampoo. Giving a cat a bath is hard under the best of circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 03:24 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,442,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDRASELLSCHARLOTTECOM View Post
I put a big feather bed on the back seat so my dog was very comfy and he was on doggy downers. However the cats cried the entire trip and one was so nervous he pooped on himself andhis brother. Needless to say it was not a pleassant tri for my hubby from then on.

The worst part was washing two big chubby cats covered in **** in the hotel bathroom with a tiny little bottle of shampoo. Giving a cat a bath is hard under the best of circumstances.
Good move sending the felines in the car with DH!

SL

Old 04-02-2007, 01:14 PM

8 posts, read 26,684 times
Iv'e traveled with my cats lots of times. I mean moves, not taking them out for a car ride.
Just make sure you have a good travel continer, and put something soft in the bottom. My cats have a few minutes of frenzy when we first start out, but then seem to calm down and sleep the whole way. even long trips.

I moved them across country for 6 days once. They did fine. I never traveled more than 5-7 hours a day, stopped frequently and had them out on a leash, and held them at a picnic table for 15 minutes or so everytime I stopped for bathroom visits. Each night, they ate and drank like crazy in the hotel, and slept fine.
The last day or so I had to catch them to get them in the travel crate for by then they had learned it was another day of travel, but they did just great.
I stayed in the low budget road hotels, and asked for ground floor rooms so I would not have to carry them upstairs.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:49 PM

693 posts, read 1,954,932 times
Default Some advice from a professional crazy cat lady

Hi All,

Finally a subject I think I can help with...I was a vet tech for a feline only hospital in Florida. Me, my husband and my (count em) 4 fur children have driven 1200 miles in each direction about 6 different times in 6 years (most recently to take them from NJ back home for a visit to Florida. As a vet tech (cat nurse) and as a crazy cat lady I have this down to a science.

1. NEVER use sedatives or antihistamines on crated pets if you can avoid it. Cats react to the woozy off balance feeling by getting nauseous and/ or aggressive. Vomiting can occur. It can make motion sickness worse. They also tend to freak out and panic when drugged (or when they start coming to). This causes even more anxiety. Keep them in carriers the whole drive, talk to them and when the whining gets annoying, turn on the radio. My cats seemed to love books on tape (Stephen King). If not let them yell... they are safe.

2. Pick up their food and water 8 to 10 hours before you plan to leave. Make sure they are offered a clean litter box the rest of the night. This will prevent uncomfortable accidents. They can do without food for the day of the trip, most cats will be too stressed to eat. If its really hot offer water. Most cats prefer the car AC to open windows as well. So it won't be that hot. Ice cubes are a much easier way to offer water to cats in carriers.

3. Instead of towels... line the carriers with puppy training pads. Bring extra. Its like a big diaper, so if accidents happen its easy to swap out. On the same topic... carry extra bottled water and paper towels for major clean up, we also like unscented hypoallergenic baby wipes.

4. After about 10- to 12 hours we usually stop for the night, a we bring disposable litter boxes (they have the litter inside already, you just tear off the paper) and lay them on large plastic bags for easy cleanup. We offer them canned food and water, but pick it up again in a couple of hours so we can prepare for day 2 of the drive.

If you can't find kitty in the hotel room...best place to look is under the bed. The box springs look solid, but there may be a hole big enough for kitty to crawl through.

MOST IMPORTANT! Never leave you cats unattended in cars or hotels (if you must take a bathroom break be quick). Pack your food for the trip or go to drive throughs. The less you have to stop for human things the less time kitty is in the car. Check on them frequently when stopping for gas etc.

Last note on flying cats: Don't if you can avoid it. Cargo is not climate controlled. This means blistering hot tarmac and freezing cold depending on the season. Flights get delayed. Remember there were animals in cargo for that 18 hours the jetblue flight sat on the runway.

I hope this helps!

DameMeow

Last edited by Damemeow; 04-02-2007 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: corrected and added omitted text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or